Jones Day Cover Letter

sc1999

Standard Member
Dec 22, 2019
Hello :)

I would appreciate any feedback at all on my Jones Day Cover letter. The word limit is 300 words and am really not sure if I should focus on why law/why jones day/both so would appreciate any insight!

Also, I know they assess apps on a rolling basis - if I was to submit towards the end of December do you think most places will have been filled up?

Thanks in advance.

I was first exposed to Jones Day at a discussion regarding delivering justice through Pro Bono which explored the importance of corporate responsibility. I was fascinated to hear Muireann Dennehy, Senior Associate in Global Disputes, share how at Jones Day she was given the opportunity to work at the Moira Refugee Camp in Lesvos, Greece. Furthermore I learnt from associates present that Jones Day encourage trainees to share their own ideas for charities or projects where they want to offer legal support fostering an independent yet supportive working environment. I have previously volunteered with the asylum seekers with the Bail Observation Project and North London Synagogue and would really value the opportunity to continue such work from a more legal standpoint during my training contract and beyond.

Furthermore, the non-rotational seat system is something I have previous experience with as it was integrated into my ten week summer internship at Lloyds Banking Group. I was placed in the legal department but rather than being put in a specific division I was encouraged to go around the different departments which specifically interested me and become exposed to a wider range of work. To give an example, at one point in my internship I had worked on a project involving supporting gambling addicts with the Legal Transformation team while simultaneously working with the Data Legal Team on GDPR concerns. I found working in this manner allowed me to take initiative and constantly challenged me ensuring I got the most out of my internship. I value the way Jones Day have their seat system and would use it as an opportunity to engage with a diverse number of individuals and areas as well as it being advantageous to exposing me to a wider variety of sectors and clients.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
To me this is a little to CSR/pro-bono focused. I would lead with the day job (commercial law) first and then spend less word count talking about pro-bono activity, even though this is where you initially heard from them.

You can also get rid of phrases like "To give an example, at one point in my internship I had worked on a project" to "I worked on a project".

Your last sentence is also exceptionally long - I would change it into 2 sentences or at least put a comma after areas.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.