Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

February 2020

Please specify what the interview was for.

Summer Vacation Scheme

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

I arrived at the firm at 2:30pm and was the only candidate being interviewed at this time.

I was then collected by a trainee who took me for a mini-tour of the offices and we had a chat for 20 mins before I was taken to the interview room around 3:00pm.

My partner interview was with two partners and began at 3:05pm and ended around 3:50pm.

There are no other elements to the assessment day so I left straight after the partner interview.

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

Partner interview: 45 minutes interview with two partners. When I entered the room the partners immediately put me at ease saying that unlike other interviews this one is a bit less formal. This was because ultimately they are trying to get a feel of your personality so a lot of the questions asked are about getting to know you, how you think and how well suited the firm is to you.

At the beginning of my interview I was asked a question that was essentially asking me to introduce myself and explain my journey into law, so be prepared to give a short but impactful introduction about yourself. This can direct the rest of the interview, so make sure (if you are asked this) you highlight experiences that you would like to go into more detail in potential follow up questions.

I wasn’t asked many competency questions but I was asked a lot of questions on my legal work experiences. I was further not directly asked 'why Jones Day' so I weaved my passion for the firm wherever I could into my responses to other questions such as 'what are the advantages of the non-rotational training contract'.

At the end of the interview I was given an opportunity to ask the partners questions, which I did. The conversation that followed after these questions was very interesting and I felt that unlike other firms I have interviewed with the partners gave me very detailed and honest responses.

Please list any interview questions you were asked.

1. Tell us about yourself.
    2. Why the training contract here?
    3. Tell me about a recent commercial story that you have been following.
    4. Questions about my legal work experience and a case I worked on two summers ago.
    5. Why London?
    6. Which other firms have you applied to and why?
    7. Have you considered/done any work experience at law firms that aren't commercial before?
    8. What do you do for fun?
    9. What would your friends say are your best and worst qualities.
    - Lots of follow up questions

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

Partner interview: I would advise candidates to have revised their application form and CV and prep for any potential questions based on this. I would also strongly recommend candidates book a mock interview with their careers service in order to practice being in an interview and have someone provide feedback on your answers and body language. If you know anyone who has done an interview/vacation scheme with he firm you are interviewing with speak to them as I found speaking to someone who did the vacation scheme with Jones Day incredibly useful pre-interview, as this gave me a better understanding of the firm. Read through other peoples interview experiences and prep for your potential answers to these questions; however, do not expect to be asked these questions. I was asked very different questions to what I had prepped for so be prepared to be asked questions in a different way to what you expected and to be asked a lot of questions, which you may not have prepared for beforehand. Regardless of whether or not you have prepared for the questions asked, be confident in your responses and take time to think of a response if you need this. This will enable you to produce a more coherent response.

Were you successful?

Yes

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

January 2020

Vacation Scheme 2020

2pm - 3pm

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

Interview - 45 minutes with two Partners and a tour of the office with an Associate

The interview was very conversational - why law, was mainly focused on why I really want to become a lawyer - asked me why I haven't got a TC yet or why I haven't secured one in my second year at the time people usually apply for TCs, and why JD, a time I had deal with a challenging situation, and if I were the Prime Minister for the day what 3 laws would I change and why. You also get an office tour with a trainee which is enjoyable.

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

Come across as confident. They are looking for someone who is proactive and doesn't get uncomfortable by direct questions.

Were you successful?

No

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

October 2019

Winter Vacation Scheme 2019

Arrive at 2. 2-2.30 tour with Trainee. 2.30-3 interview with two Partners.

The interview was more of an informal talk with two partners who were interested in why I wanted to go into law, why did I want to work at the firm and my previous work experiences. It lasted for around half an hour.

Your previous experience suggests you have other interests- why have you chosen law?
    What would be your view on if the firm worked with very wealthy oligarchs?
    What is your view on the recent news about Jones Day? What is your view on gender equality in the legal profession?
    What other firms have you applied to? T
    Whose firms are very different to Jones Day- why have you applied to them?
    Tell us about your experience working at ...?
    Why do you want to work specifically at Jones Day?

For interview preparation- I would advise reading about whether the firm has been in the news recently. Before my interview the firm was in the news and this was brought up in the interview. Prepare also to answer questions on previous clients, as the firm's connection (through a Partner) to Donald Trump was implied with a question about oligarchs. I would look into the firm's differing structure for the vacation scheme and come up with reasons as to why this is what you would like to do. Come up with examples where you have enjoyed responsibility and showed resilience as the scheme is very much geared towards these competencies. Research the practice areas that the firm works in and choose a few that you are interested in and research previous deals in these areas. The trainee solicitor told me I may be asked about this but I was not in my interview.

Advice for the day-

Interview- be prepared to fight your corner on your views and be able to explain your choices for going into commercial law with evidence and certainty.
    Tour- prepare questions to ask the trainee who tours you to find out more about the firm and its culture.

Were you successful?

No

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.