Journey to a TC

legal_cyclist

Feb 9, 2023
Hi everyone!

This might be an unconventional take for this thread (and I don't know if I've submitted far too late!) but I am just creating this thread to try and hold myself a little bit more accountable.

Firstly, a bit about myself. I'll keep this anonymous (for now) but I'm a second year LLB student at UCL. I'm averaging a 2:1 so far and hoping for a first by the time summatives come around. I have only recently decided that I want to become a solicitor - I (perhaps foolishly) brushed off the idea of networking or thinking about my career in first year, instead focusing on my uni experience (I'm sure this will get a lot of eye rolls) and doing a lot of sports and music. But above all, I wasn't really sure if I wanted to be lawyer, so there wasn't really any intrinsic motivation for me to do anything. Since the start of second year I dabbled in university lawsoc events, and attended networking events at firms including Jones Day, Kirkland and Ellis, and Hogan Lovells. I won a prize at one event and was invited to a follow up open afternoon aswell.

Anyway, here is where the story gets a bit worse - I had planned to do a bunch of vac scheme applications over Christmas, but, as it turns out, writing applications is pretty difficult when you a) aren't really sure you want to be a lawyer, b) haven't done anything to really indicate to employers that you want to be a lawyer, and c) spend most of Christmas in bed or at the pub. So I rattled off a few applications, most of them submitted on the deadline day, and have now received rejections from: Hogan Lovells, Linklaters (open day), Bird&Bird, Weil, Jones Day, Simmons, and I'm waiting on the inevitable Covington one. Anyway - perhaps I had a level of arrogance and so I am glad that these rejections have taught me a lesson or two. If you met me, I wouldn't say I am arrogant at all (and definitely not compared to some coursemates...) but I think the combination of having got very good grades my whole life with not much work, going to a top 3 law school, and doing a lot of extra-curriculars, made me think that I would be in with a shot at a VS just by putting my grades and positions of responsibility down on the application. Not so. So I think the takeaways from this are: a) VS and TC apps are not like university applications - they won't just give you an offer for being an all rounder. And b) Now that I have decided I want to be a solicitor, I need to fully commit myself. I had convinced myself that I had too much going on to even think about careers - but at the end of the day, I need to have a career, and I think these rejections have been the kick up the arse that I needed.

Anyway, if anyone has got this far through my rambling, I'd appreciate any advice, places to start, and also maybe a generally answer to my question - are there any opportunities now that all the application deadlines for this year have passed....?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone else who is on a similar (and probably smoother) path

Reactions: cls33 and Ali A

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone!

This might be an unconventional take for this thread (and I don't know if I've submitted far too late!) but I am just creating this thread to try and hold myself a little bit more accountable.

Firstly, a bit about myself. I'll keep this anonymous (for now) but I'm a second year LLB student at UCL. I'm averaging a 2:1 so far and hoping for a first by the time summatives come around. I have only recently decided that I want to become a solicitor - I (perhaps foolishly) brushed off the idea of networking or thinking about my career in first year, instead focusing on my uni experience (I'm sure this will get a lot of eye rolls) and doing a lot of sports and music. But above all, I wasn't really sure if I wanted to be lawyer, so there wasn't really any intrinsic motivation for me to do anything. Since the start of second year I dabbled in university lawsoc events, and attended networking events at firms including Jones Day, Kirkland and Ellis, and Hogan Lovells. I won a prize at one event and was invited to a follow up open afternoon aswell.

Anyway, here is where the story gets a bit worse - I had planned to do a bunch of vac scheme applications over Christmas, but, as it turns out, writing applications is pretty difficult when you a) aren't really sure you want to be a lawyer, b) haven't done anything to really indicate to employers that you want to be a lawyer, and c) spend most of Christmas in bed or at the pub. So I rattled off a few applications, most of them submitted on the deadline day, and have now received rejections from: Hogan Lovells, Linklaters (open day), Bird&Bird, Weil, Jones Day, Simmons, and I'm waiting on the inevitable Covington one. Anyway - perhaps I had a level of arrogance and so I am glad that these rejections have taught me a lesson or two. If you met me, I wouldn't say I am arrogant at all (and definitely not compared to some coursemates...) but I think the combination of having got very good grades my whole life with not much work, going to a top 3 law school, and doing a lot of extra-curriculars, made me think that I would be in with a shot at a VS just by putting my grades and positions of responsibility down on the application. Not so. So I think the takeaways from this are: a) VS and TC apps are not like university applications - they won't just give you an offer for being an all rounder. And b) Now that I have decided I want to be a solicitor, I need to fully commit myself. I had convinced myself that I had too much going on to even think about careers - but at the end of the day, I need to have a career, and I think these rejections have been the kick up the arse that I needed.

Anyway, if anyone has got this far through my rambling, I'd appreciate any advice, places to start, and also maybe a generally answer to my question - are there any opportunities now that all the application deadlines for this year have passed....?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone else who is on a similar (and probably smoother) path

It's definitely not too late @legal_cyclist - it's really nice for us to read about your journey.

First of all, I wouldn't see it as a bad thing that you focused on your university experience when getting to university. You have many years to think about your legal career and I think it's important to have time to discover what you enjoy doing. I didn't realise I wanted to apply to commercial law firms until after the main vacation scheme cycle in my second year and, like you, I also wasn't sure that I wanted to be a lawyer. There will always be people that have applied earlier but this isn't an issue in the grand scheme of things.

Second, I'd see the self awareness as a good thing. it's a bit of a shock to the system to get used to law firm applications where the default is actually to be rejected rather than to receive offers. This is understandable when you get a sense of the volume of applications they receive compared to the places they have available. It's also understandable when you factor in the fact that application writing is a skill because it takes time to learn how to write clearly, communicate your motivations, sell your experiences and send off many applications in a short space of time.

I had a similar experience my first application cycle and in many ways I think it was a good thing because it made me come to a similar realisation that I couldn't half heart the process. I'd see this as good motivation that you now know what you need to do in the next cycle, so I would encourage you to draw up a plan and commit to your preparation now, especially when the main deadlines have closed. If you put in the work now and consistently, you will have a much easier time when the next round of applications open up.

Feel free to update your progress in this thread, it would be good to follow you in your journey.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.