Journey to a TC!

aishaslm

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 15, 2022
    Heya! I thought I would jump on the bandwagon as I'm looking to secure a TC by the end of my final year of university (yep - given myself an imaginary deadline haha). I just finished my first application cycle and realised that I really underestimated the value of submitting applications early to firms with rolling deadlines. :oops:

But, as the saying goes - once you've hit rock bottom, the only way left to go is up!

I am targeting firms that have direct TC vacancies in the summer; the ones on my list right now are:
    • BCLP
    • Slaughter & May
    • AG
    • Freshfields
    • Hogan Lovells
    Non-exhaustive, of course.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! If anyone else is trying to squeeze the life out of this application cycle too (before August - yikes!) feel free to pop up and we can keep each other motivated :)

TO-DO:
    1. Draft answers for BCLP application form
    2. Draft answers for AG application form
    3. Research other firms and create a table
    4. Create a repository of competencies alongside relevant experience for competency interviews

aishaslm

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 15, 2022
    UPDATE #1

So, it's been a while... and I didn't end up submitting an application to BCLP. I did submit one to KN but received a PFO shortly after. That PFO actually hurt because I lurved the firm BUT we move. 😎

However, now exams are over, application prep is in full gear. I have just submitted my direct TC application to HL (the rolling deadline screwed me over last time!) and I'm in the process of drafting my Slaughters cover letter. I find firms with cover letters exhausting to apply for but I'm trying to get caught too much in the format and focus on the substance.

Freshfields' TC isn't too high on my to-do list yet as they don't have a rolling deadline but I really want to give myself the best chances possible, so I need to research for that too!

aishaslm

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 15, 2022
    UPDATE #2

Well, this will be a short one, but realised that I shouldn't have put that much effort into my HL TC app becauseeee I got PFO'd for their vac scheme and I can't reapply in the same cycle... completely, utterly my fault, so I can accept it.

Here's to putting all my eggs in 2 1 basket.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    UPDATE #2

Well, this will be a short one, but realised that I shouldn't have put that much effort into my HL TC app becauseeee I got PFO'd for their vac scheme and I can't reapply in the same cycle... completely, utterly my fault, so I can accept it.

Here's to putting all my eggs in 2 1 basket.
    Sorry to hear this news. Looking forward to following your progress :)

Reactions: aishaslm

aishaslm

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 15, 2022
    UPDATE #3

Despite skepticism over whether Withers would reconsider me after getting a PFO for their Vacation Scheme, I prayed and submitted an application for their TC a month ago and was invited to test a week ago! I just completed the test yesterday and hope that something positive comes out of it.

Since my holidays have begun, I've been really unmotivated to complete TC apps but this has served as a driving force to send off the long-awaited S&M and Freshfields TC apps. Hopefully, by my next update, those would've been sent off into the endless abyss of TC apps (inshāAllāh).

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    UPDATE #3

Despite skepticism over whether Withers would reconsider me after getting a PFO for their Vacation Scheme, I prayed and submitted an application for their TC a month ago and was invited to test a week ago! I just completed the test yesterday and hope that something positive comes out of it.

Since my holidays have begun, I've been really unmotivated to complete TC apps but this has served as a driving force to send off the long-awaited S&M and Freshfields TC apps. Hopefully, by my next update, those would've been sent off into the endless abyss of TC apps (inshāAllāh).
    Nicely done! 🥳 Hoping you receive good news, and best of luck on your S&M and Freshfields TC application!

Reactions: aishaslm

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.