K&E

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Yes! I am not too sure of my chances though. I applied last year for a vac scheme and got rejected. You are applying?

Eek! Me either, but I’ve become a lot more exposed to the firm this year so hoping that works long term! What stage did you get to for the vacation scheme application process?

Campbell44

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
Eek! Me either, but I’ve become a lot more exposed to the firm this year so hoping that works long term! What stage did you get to for the vacation scheme application process?

I reached the assessment centre. It was quite a good day actually and the group exercise topic was quite different to all the other typical finance ones I had and I came away thinking I did quite good, but maybe not so much.

It was quite funny the interviewer was trying to test my preparation for long hours and mentioned something about crying lots of the time when she moved from her firm. I am not sure if I was supposed to be scared!

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
I reached the assessment centre. It was quite a good day actually and the group exercise topic was quite different to all the other typical finance ones I had and I came away thinking I did quite good, but maybe not so much.

It was quite funny the interviewer was trying to test my preparation for long hours and mentioned something about crying lots of the time when she moved from her firm. I am not sure if I was supposed to be scared!

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself! Was the feedback helpful? I wanted to apply for a vac scheme but was too late :( Any tips on how to approach the app questions?

Campbell44

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
Sounds like you enjoyed yourself! Was the feedback helpful? I wanted to apply for a vac scheme but was too late :( Any tips on how to approach the app questions?

Yes the recruiter was nice. Unfortunately I came across too nervous in the group assessment.

I am not sure if the questions have changed. If it has the same question about understanding what challenges will face Kirkland in the next few years then it's important to really understand the space in which Kirkland acts and why that makes it different. There is not much point mentioning things that apply to firms generally as Kirkland is quite different. There is also not much space so better to pick two or three points and separate each one into paragraphs. You also have to add a cover letter so you must carefully separate which issues you discuss on the application and on the cover letter.

How did you get more exposed to the firm?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Yes the recruiter was nice. Unfortunately I came across too nervous in the group assessment.

I am not sure if the questions have changed. If it has the same question about understanding what challenges will face Kirkland in the next few years then it's important to really understand the space in which Kirkland acts and why that makes it different. There is not much point mentioning things that apply to firms generally as Kirkland is quite different. There is also not much space so better to pick two or three points and separate each one into paragraphs. You also have to add a cover letter so you must carefully separate which issues you discuss on the application and on the cover letter.

Great! Thanks for the tips and I went to their open day last November and really enjoyed it, hoping that helps

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018

Me again! I just re-read the application questions and the questions relating to why do you want to be a lawyer at K&E and the cover letter I feel like it overlap just a bit...

Ideally for the question relating to why do you want to be a lawyer at K&E. I wanted to talk about my experience on the open day/ speaking to trainees/associates and notable deals they have worked on that interest me

For the cover letter I wanted to talk about the skills I’ll bring into the role that will make me successful and why I want to become a solicitor. What are your thoughouts on this approach?

Campbell44

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
I agree w
Me again! I just re-read the application questions and the questions relating to why do you want to be a lawyer at K&E and the cover letter I feel like it overlap just a bit...

Ideally for the question relating to why do you want to be a lawyer at K&E. I wanted to talk about my experience on the open day/ speaking to trainees/associates and notable deals they have worked on that interest me

For the cover letter I wanted to talk about the skills I’ll bring into the role that will make me successful and why I want to become a solicitor. What are your thoughouts on this approach?

Yes I agree. I think it does not make sense to cover why Kirkland twice so best to leave the cover letter for anything that the application form does not cover.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    That would be ahmazzinggg!!!!
    I would really appreciate your input as well @Jaysen thinking of applying for straight TC :)

Apologies for the delay guys! I haven't quite finished (I was going to put this up as a law firm insight), but in the meantime -

Kirkland & Ellis

Big and profitable
    • Kirkland’s 2017 financial results were announced last week and, thanks to a 19% growth in revenue, Kirkland is now the largest law firm in the world. The firm has expanded aggressively in recent years with an estimated 89% growth in revenue between 2009 and 2016 and it’s remarkable seeing how fast Kirkland moved up the rankings.
    • But Kirkland isn’t just big, it’s profitable. That makes it stand out from rival Latham and other large law firms. The firm doesn’t set up shop everywhere, but targets a number of highly profitably geographies and practices. Unlike other US law firms, Kirkland has consistently grown its PEP over the last two decades. And the firm’s investment in practice areas like restructuring and litigation meant the firm could weather 2008 and 2009, a time when many law firm profits fell.
    Partnership & Culture
    • Kirkland’s associates make partner a lot quicker than other law firms, often after just 6PQE. In 2017, 97 lawyers became salaried partners with 13 in London. Most of these are in corporate, then debt finance.
    • Kirkland is known for paying huge amounts of money for targeted lateral hires and in many ways that has changed lateral law firm recruitment altogether. The magic circle and other US law firms have been forced to modify their lockstep model – where partners are paid according to seniority – to compete. That’s helped Kirkland to recruit star corporate partners from magic circle firms like the 2017 hire of David Higgins.
    • Kirkland’s remuneration system is even more flexible than other elite US firms. Kirkland’s top partners can earn 8 times more than its junior partners compared to 3 or 4 times more at rival firms. A few years ago Kirkland’s hire of star leveraged finance partner Stephen Lucas from Weil at a reported $8m shocked the market.
    • The firm is one of the most active lateral hirers in London. It recently took a team from Debevoise in New York and a 5 partner investigations and corruption team from Ropes & Gray.
    • Kirkland makes up more partners each year than almost any other law firm. That’s because the firm makes use of non-equity partners i.e. salaried partners who don’t have a stake in the business or join partner meetings. That’s useful for a number of reasons: it makes junior partners work hard to bring in business but they’re only paid a little more than they were as associates; it lets the firm heavily assess partner potential and if they’re not equity partner material, they can be told to leave; it keeps equity partner compensation high to attract lateral hires.
    • But Kirkland has one of the highest attrition rates of any US law firm in London. According to The Lawyer, out of 40 associates that made partner in London between 2010 and 2015, only 25 remained by March 2016.
    • Kirkland is often described as competitive and ‘sharp elbowed’. Some point to the firm’s alleged ‘up or out’ policy and the heavy management of partner performance. Others have noted the clash between existing partners and newly hired laterals on large pay packets – allegedly a factor in the recent six-partner exit for Sidley Austin. But it’s difficult to say whether this is still the case. Kirkland recently introduced a number of measures to encourage group working and collaboration between partners.
    London heavyweight
    • Kirkland originally launched in London to serve its key US clients, including private equity firm Bain Capital. Kirkland quickly integrated and began promoting from within in contrast to other US law firms.
    • The firm also hired aggressively, picking up a number of partners for magic circle firms Linklaters and Freshfields.
    • Now Kirkland is the second largest US law firm in London thanks to a revenue rise of almost 50% in 2017. It’s also taking another floor in the Gherkin to compensate for a sharp rise in lawyer headcount.
    Practice areas
    • In 2017, Kirkland topped the deal value rankings for UK M&A and placed fourth by global deal value. The firm excels in public M&A and this recently became a core practice area.
    • The firm boasts one of the best private equity practices in the City thanks to its strength in leveraged finance. Its finance team has been responsible for securing many private equity relationships, an area where rival Freshfields lags behind. Meanwhile, Kirkland has been trying to boost its corporate/M&A practice in London through a number of magic circle lateral hires.
    • Before it dominated the transactional space, Kirkland was mainly a litigation firm. And that shows today – in 2017, The Lawyer ranked Kirkland as the second largest litigation firm by revenue.

Last edited:

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Apologies for the delay guys! I haven't quite finished (I was going to put this up as a law firm insight), but in the meantime -

Kirkland & Ellis

Big and profitable
    • Kirkland’s 2017 financial results were announced last week and, thanks to a 19% growth in revenue, Kirkland is now the largest law firm in the world. The firm has expanded aggressively in recent years with an estimated 89% growth in revenue between 2009 and 2016 and it’s remarkable seeing how fast Kirkland moved up the rankings.
    • But Kirkland isn’t just big, it’s profitable. That makes it stand out from rival Latham and other large law firms. The firm doesn’t set up shop everywhere, but targets a number of highly profitably geographies and practices. Unlike other US law firms, Kirkland has consistently grown its PEP over the last two decades. The firm’s investment in practice areas like restructuring and litigation meant the firm could weather 2008 and 2009, a time when many law firm profits fell
    Partnership & Culture
    • Kirkland’s associates make partner a lot quicker than other law firms, often after just 6PQE. In 2017, 97 lawyers became salaried partners with 13 in London. Most of these are in corporate, then debt finance.
    • Kirkland is known for paying huge amounts of money for targeted lateral hires and in many ways that has changed lateral law firm recruitment altogether. The magic circle and other US law firms have been forced to modify their lockstep model – where partners are paid according to seniority – to compete. That’s helped Kirkland to recruit star corporate partners from magic circle firms like the 2017 hire of David Higgins.
    • Kirkland’s remuneration system is even more flexible than other elite US firms. Kirkland’s top partners can earn 8 times more than its junior partners compared to 3 or 4 times more at rival firms. A few years ago Kirkland’s hire of star leveraged finance partner Stephen Lucas from Weil at a reported $8m shocked the market.
    • The firm is one of the most active lateral hirers in London. It recently took a team from Debevoise in New York and a 5 partner investigations and corruption team from Ropes & Gray.
    • Kirkland makes up more partners each year than almost any other law firm. That’s because the firm makes use of non-equity partners i.e. salaried partners who don’t have a stake in the business or join partner meetings. That’s useful for a number of reasons: it makes junior partners work hard to bring in business but they’re only paid a little more than they were as associates; it lets the firm heavily assess partner potential and if they’re not equity partner material, they can be told to leave; it keeps equity partner compensation high to attract lateral hires.
    • But Kirkland has one of the highest attrition rates of any US law firm in London. According to The Lawyer, out of 40 associates that made partner in London between 2010 and 2015, only 25 remained by March 2016.
    • Kirkland is often described as competitive and ‘sharp elbowed’. Some point to the firm’s alleged ‘up or out’ policy and the heavy management of partner performance. Others have noted the clash between existing partners and newly hired laterals on large pay packets – allegedly a factor in the recent six-partner exit for Sidley Austin. But it’s difficult to say whether this is still the case. Kirkland recently introduced a number of measures to encourage group working and collaboration between partners.
    London heavyweight
    • Kirkland originally launched in London to serve its key US clients including private equity firm Bain Capital. Kirkland quickly integrated and began promoting from within in contrast to other US law firms.
    • The firm also hired aggressively, picking up a number of partners for magic circle firms Linklaters and Freshfields.
    • Now Kirkland is the second largest US law firm in London thanks to a revenue rise of almost 50% in 2017. It’s also taking another floor in the Gherkin to compensate for a sharp rise in lawyer headcount.
    Practice areas
    • In 2017, Kirkland topped the deal value rankings for UK M&A and placed fourth by global deal value. The firm excels in public M&A and this recently became a core practice area.
    • The firm boasts one of the best private equity practices in the City thanks to its strength in leveraged finance. Its finance team has secured many private equity relationships, an area where rival Freshfields lags behind. Meanwhile Kirkland has been trying to boost its corporate/M&A practice in London through a number of magic circle lateral hires.
    • Before it dominated the transactional space, Kirkland was mainly a litigation firm. And that shows today – in 2017, The Lawyer ranked Kirkland as the second largest litigation firm by revenue.

Thank you! I just started my app and wrote about K&E’s profitable strengths.. I think I may be on the right lines ;)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.