Kirkland App

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Apologies if this thread has already been created but me and @AJ are currently preparing our K&E apps and we are slightly confused with the application questions, especially the cover letter requirement. Can anyone please share some tips?

Reactions: Lat94

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I interviewed at Kirkland, although I don't know if the app has changed. What are you finding confusing? The application form + the cover letter?

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I interviewed at Kirkland, although I don't know if the app has changed. What are you finding confusing? The application form + the cover letter?

Thanks Jaysen!

I am slightly confused about what should be included in the cover letter, I feel like the 'Why do you want to be transactional lawyer at Kirkland' covers everything already and I do not want to be repeating myself again in the cover letter as to why commercial law/why Kirkland, if that makes sense?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks Jaysen!

I am slightly confused about what should be included in the cover letter, I feel like the 'Why do you want to be transactional lawyer at Kirkland' covers everything already and I do not want to be repeating myself again in the cover letter as to why commercial law/why Kirkland, if that makes sense?

Yes it does. Before I answer, what are the other questions in the application form?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    It also seems very difficult to tailor the answers, specifically to Kirkland. Feel like you could easily replace Weil into the answers.

I understand that, especially for PE. At this stage, it's OK if your reasons could apply to both firms, but use specific information about Kirkland to back up your points.

Alternatively, you could think about the ways Weil and Kirkland are different.

For example, Kirkland's:
    • position as the largest firm in the world by revenue
    • huge revenue growth over the last few years
    • record growth in the London office
    • litigation strength -- with the largest disputes practice in the world
    • success with lateral hires (including MC partners and a recent Weil hire)
    • faster promotion (supposedly/might not want to mention this one)
    • smaller presence in Europe
    • UK M&A success (competing with the magic circle)
    • global M&A success (second globally in 2017)
    Or, if you have experience meeting Kirkland, you can use that.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AJ, Coralin96 and Salma

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hmm, I checked back on my application. When I applied, it was two commercial questions, which was a bit easier.

I would equate "why do you want to be a transactional lawyer at Kirkland" as mostly a "why Kirkland" question. Your cover letter could include more information on your interest in commercial law backed up by any interests or existing legal work experience.

If the competency question is a specific question, you can then use the cover letter to discuss your positions of responsibility/extra-curricular activities.

You are right though: you do not want to repeat information in your cover letter. I imagine this tough structure is a part of the assessment.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Shaz and Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hmm, I checked back on my application. When I applied, it was two commercial questions, which was a bit easier.

I would equate "why do you want to be a transactional lawyer at Kirkland" as mostly a "why Kirkland" question. Your cover letter could include more information on your interest in commercial law backed up by any interests or existing legal work experience.

If the competency question is a specific question, you can then use the cover letter to discuss your positions of responsibility/extra-curricular activities.

You are right though: you do not want to repeat information in your cover letter. I imagine this tough structure is a part of the assessment.

Thanks Jaysen!

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Sorry another question from me. I can’t find the abbreviation thread I started. They refer to themselves as Kirkland & Ellis International LLP. Is it okay to refer to them as K&E or Kirkland & Elllis?? More so the later.
    I know some firms will stop reading your application if you refer to them incorrectly, so it’s always a slight concern.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Sorry another question from me. I can’t find the abbreviation thread I started. They refer to themselves as Kirkland & Ellis International LLP. Is it okay to refer to them as K&E or Kirkland & Elllis?? More so the later.
    I know some firms will stop reading your application if you refer to them incorrectly, so it’s always a slight concern.

Kirkland & Ellis is fine.

Reactions: Salma

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Hi Jaysen,

I completely agree with what you said, but unfortunately the cover letter for Kirkland states that you should include the following in 400 words:
    • Why you want to be a lawyer
    • What skills you can bring to the role
    • Why you are applying to Kirkland & Ellis International LLP
    Therefore, would it be okay to be more general in the cover letter and talk about the firm in general and then be more specific i.e. reference private equity in more detail in the 'transactional lawyer' question?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

I completely agree with what you said, but unfortunately the cover letter for Kirkland states that you should include the following in 400 words:
    • Why you want to be a lawyer
    • What skills you can bring to the role
    • Why you are applying to Kirkland & Ellis International LLP
    Therefore, would it be okay to be more general in the cover letter and talk about the firm in general and then be more specific i.e. reference private equity in more detail in the 'transactional lawyer' question?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Oh I see, that's odd! Yes that's exactly what I would do.

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Having read a successful Kirkland applicantion, I would add that you REALLY need to go to town with why ‘transactional law’. The candidate in question used their work experiences & extra curriculars to show their interest in transactional law. These experiences ranged from internships to mooting.

It helps to name drop anyone you’ve met from the firm & explain how this reinforced your desire to be a transactional lawyer .

You should also do your research re any transactional awards the firm has won, any notable deals which ADD value to your app.

Finally, and perhaps it’s a given, but your commercial awareness answer must be strong. It should ideally relate to K&E clients or expertise. The recent USA, Canada & Mexico agreement is a good topic, something I would’ve covered if applying to K&E, but there’s currently plenty of topical topics about.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.