Kirkland & Ellis Open Day

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I still haven't heard anything. Is it considered bad form to email to check out if I have been rejected/accepted etc?
Often, invites go out a week before, sometimes less (from my experience last year).

Is it bad form? No. Is it necessary? In my opinion, no. The waiting game will get much worse with VS's and TC's. It's better to practice now :)

biosparasemos

Feb 16, 2020
Often, invites go out a week before, sometimes less (from my experience last year).

Is it bad form? No. Is it necessary? In my opinion, no. The waiting game will get much worse with VS's and TC's. It's better to practice now :)

Hey thanks for another helpful reply. Unfortunately for my university I need more than a few days notice, so I can move tutorials and arrange my workload etc.

Another issue is that I actually can't remember or find anywhere the exact date of the open day. But I can't really ask them what day I applied for haha!

I think I wrote a pretty solid open day application, so I'd be a bit surprised if I got turned down, but you never know! I think I'll email...

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Hey thanks for another helpful reply. Unfortunately for my university I need more than a few days notice, so I can move tutorials and arrange my workload etc.

Another issue is that I actually can't remember or find anywhere the exact date of the open day. But I can't really ask them what day I applied for haha!

I think I wrote a pretty solid open day application, so I'd be a bit surprised if I got turned down, but you never know! I think I'll email...

Ah yes of course. I guess it wouldn't hurt to email and seek clarification of the actual day of the open day. You could also mix in a response at that point asking when invites are going out! I tend to think at this time of year, GR will prioritise their VS/TC processes. They will then start to deal with open days.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Laksha

Standard Member
Feb 13, 2020
So I didn't get a response to my email, however I received a rejection for the open day from them, today!
I guess they didn't like being prompted to reply.

I actually find this really funny. Rejected from an open day, yay me :eek::D

To be honest with you they are known as the biggest snobs in the industry. They probably just forgot to read your application.

Oh and, don't be wowed by the huge profit per partner sums. That's profit per equity partner, which you'd likely never ever make.
There is very little reason to train at Kirkland itself. If you fancy the work they do for the big salary, train at MC and jump ship PQ

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Open days are still competitive, you won't be rejected because you asked for a response.

To be honest with you they are known as the biggest snobs in the industry. They probably just forgot to read your application.

Oh and, don't be wowed by the huge profit per partner sums. That's profit per equity partner, which you'd likely never ever make.
    There is very little reason to train at Kirkland itself. If you fancy the work they do for the big salary, train at MC and jump ship PQ

I'd encourage candidates to go find out for themselves and speak to people in the profession, rather than listening to blanket statements like this ^.

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    Many firms have oversubscribed Open Days. When I attended the CC Open Day last year, they said they had over 800 applications for 300 cumulative spots.

US Firm's stock is rising among candidates now. It is not surprising these open days are becoming more competitive.

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    I think that's a really good point to keep in mind! Thanks for highlighting that. Equally said, just because, such as myself, you have vac schemes at prestigious firms, and have been accepted on other open days etc, doesn't necessarily mean you will get all of them.

Yeah, for reference, a good friend of mine was turned down for an Open Day at CC. He later applied for a VS (in the same year) and was successful in getting an offer.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Helena and Ifmhouse4

Ratish S

Star Member
    Jan 6, 2020
    Not to toot my own horn, but with an A&O TC and Goldman summer internship, I was rejected from Kirkland's open day yesterday with you [so they didn't single you out]. At my three open days at American firms last year, the attendance was 13, 20 and 25 - the 13 one had 300 and something applicants.

biosparasemos

Feb 16, 2020
    Not to toot my own horn, but with an A&O TC and Goldman summer internship, I was rejected from Kirkland's open day yesterday with you [so they didn't single you out]. At my three open days at American firms last year, the attendance was 13, 20 and 25 - the 13 one had 300 and something applicants.
    Maybe because it's meant to be for first years, they thought we were too far into our research of Legal careers..

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Apparently Kirkland actually just rejected everyone, rather than publicly saying that the Open day has been cancelled due to Coronavirus
    I suppose since it is mainly targeted for first years it is not the end of the world as there may be opportunities to reschedule and still timely for future applicants. Do you know for certain it’s cancelled?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.