Kirkland & Ellis Video Interview

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Hi,

Has anyone got any advice/past experience with the K&E video interview? I worked hard on my application and I don't want the video interview to bring my application down. If anyone has advice/experiences to share, it would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Figured I'd post this on here since I've sent the same message about 10 times haha but here's my experience of the K&E VI which I don't believe has changed in the last couple of years:

1st Question: Why do you want to be a trainee at K&E
    2nd Question: What skills would you bring as a trainee?

You have 15 seconds for prep and 1 minute for answering.

I would advise just practising talking to the camera through facetime just to get used to speaking into a camera and don't overthink it!

All the best to everyone who is to take it!
    Dan

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey Dan! Thanks for this :) Did they say it should take 15-20 mins in the email you received?
    They sent me the same email. I figured that there would be more than 2 questions?
    To be fair, by the time you get your lighting, camera, microphone quality all correct and do the practice question it probably is around 15 minutes :)

Reactions: J32

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    I have just done the video interview and I agree with what Dan said!
    It's supposed to take 15 minutes but that's because you watch three instructional videos. You get unlimited attempts on the practice question so you have plenty of time to fix your mic and camera quality (note that GR can't see your answers to practice questions!).

My advice would be follow the instructions as closely as possible. It sounds obvious but you'll want to make sure that you're dressed smartly, that you have a plain background (they specifically say no posters or messy furniture in the background) and that there is little background noise.

It's basically there to test your personality- you're articulating similar points to the ones you made in your written application.

Don't overthink it! Relax and use the 15 seconds prep time to take a few deep breaths.

I'd also make sure you're always looking at the camera (within reason). Remember that the video is just a medium for the interview- treat the camera like a real interviewer, so you're always making eye contact. This is something I could have done better.

There isn't much else I can add to what Dan said.

Dan, you're a lifesaver!

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Daniel Boden, Frank and J32

RB99

Star Member
    Dec 27, 2019
    I have just done the video interview and I can confirm everything Dan said!
    It's supposed to take 15 minutes but that's only because you watch three instructional videos. You get unlimited attempts on the practice question so you have plenty of time to fix your mic and camera quality (note that GR can't see your answers to practice questions!).

My advice would be follow the instructions as closely as possible. It sounds obvious but you'll want to make sure that you're dressed smartly, that you have a plain background (they specifically say no posters or messy furniture in the background) and that there is little background noise.

It's basically there to test your personality- you're articulating similar points to the ones you made in your written application.

Don't overthink it! Relax and use the 15 seconds prep time to take a few deep breaths.

I'd also make sure you're always looking at the camera (within reason). Remember that the video is just a medium for the interview- treat the camera like a real interviewer, so you're always making eye contact. This is something I could have done better.

There isn't much else I can add to what Dan said.

Dan, you're a lifesaver!
    Thanks a lot Max! Did you try to ensure your interview response was not overlapping much with your application or you felt that's acceptable?

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Thanks a lot Max! Did you try to ensure your interview response was not overlapping much with your application or you felt that's acceptable?
    Tough question - there's always going to be overlap because you're asked similar questions that appear in the written application. It's impossible not to have some overlap (at least in my opinion).

I did introduce some new points that I neglected to mention in my written application, but this was down to personal preference. You have to be very concise (one minute is not much time at all, it really tests your ability to speak concisely!), so I'd avoid reading out your written application as you simply won't have time to cover everything.

Like Dan said, I wouldn't overthink it. The VI is there to learn more about you, beyond what GR can ascertain from your written work. Nothing you say will be unacceptable (within reason!)- you should just relax, be yourself and conduct yourself professionally.

Last edited:

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    My respect for those who managed to squeeze their entire motivation and what recommends them in 60 seconds. The VIs that I had asked me to do so in 2 mins, but 1 min...

Reactions: M777

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    My respect for those who managed to squeeze their entire motivation and what recommends them in 60 seconds. The VIs that I had asked me to do so in 2 mins, but 1 min...
    Yeah, this is much easier said than done! I had to practise my answers so many times. It's doable but you have to think very carefully about what's relevant and what isn't. The interview really tests your ability to strike a balance between breadth and depth.

• 🏆
    Reactions: RB99 and Frank

Shimon Ellerman

Jan 7, 2020
    I clicked on the link to do the VI, however, it just says my status is "registering" and there is no actual link on the K&E website for me to start the VI. Did anyone else have this issue and if so how did you fix it? Have called IT dpt but they can only get back to me later and I would like to do the VI ASAP.

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Does everyone get invited for a VI interview automatically, or do they do do some preliminary screenings of applications beforehand?
    I'm not sure as Kirkland's GR keep their cards close to their chest (the VI itself isn't mentioned much at all on the website). I think everyone does the VI though.
    I submitted my written application at around 1am-ish the night before and I received my VI invite at 12pm that day, so I assumed it was automatic. I'd appreciate any definitive answers, though!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I'm not sure as Kirkland's GR keep their cards close to their chest (the VI itself isn't mentioned much at all on the website). I think everyone does the VI though.
    I submitted my written application at around 1am-ish the night before and I received my VI invite at 12pm that day, so I assumed it was automatic. I'd appreciate any definitive answers, though!
    Yeah I think there is an application screening process so not everyone does the video interview - perhaps we've all submitted good applications in their eyes :)

Reactions: J32 and M777

Demna87

Distinguished Member
    Aug 23, 2018
    Hey guys, on the email invitation it says the deadline is tomorrow (friday) but then lower down in the email it says 13th. On my application portal it also says the invitation will expire on the 13th. I should be able to get it done tomorrow but if not do you guys think the deadline is the 13th or is that a mistake?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.