George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Has anyone done an assessment centre with KMPG? Do you think it's worthwhile training at an ABS, also with the SQE route?
Hi @Sarai,

I assume from your question that this means you have been progressed to the AC stage with KPMG? If so, congratulations!

Unfortunately I do not know much about KPMG's recruitment process as this was not a route I considered. However, just looking on the forums, there does seem to be a few other users who have applied to KPMG Law. This post suggests that @OB has and this post suggests @TCApp2021 has. If I am right, they might be able to provide some advice for you!

In terms of thoughts on the SQE route, here is a bunch of links to content on the forum which might be helpful:
@Jessica Booker might be able to provide some further thoughts on this. However, before she does, it might be helpful to clarify what your concerns about the SQE are and what your current thinking is?

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
I was invited to an AC for the GMS programme (AAT qualification)- recruitment weren’t able to switch me to KPMG Law so I ended up withdrawing before attending the AC. I think TC with an ABS is definitely a good option- I’ve found the recruitment process a lot easier/less competitive (but salary is also lower). Re training pretty sure u get similar experience if interested in seats such as Corporate or Tax.

Sarai

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2021
Hi @Sarai,

I assume from your question that this means you have been progressed to the AC stage with KPMG? If so, congratulations!

Unfortunately I do not know much about KPMG's recruitment process as this was not a route I considered. However, just looking on the forums, there does seem to be a few other users who have either applied to KPMG Law. This post suggests that @OB has and this post suggests @TCApp2021 has. If I am right, they might be able to provide some advice for you!

In terms of thoughts on the SQE route, here is a bunch of links to content on the forum which might be helpful:
@Jessica Booker might be able to provide some further thoughts on this. However, before she does, it might be helpful to clarify what your concerns about the SQE are and what your current thinking is?
Hi

Thank you. I'm wondering how studying for the SQE whilst working will affect my success in the exams. My biggest issue is that KPMG's TC seems very new there's little information online about what practice areas a trainee would be involved in, how the TC is structured etc. It makes me a bit concerned about how good the training will be. I'm also wondering if there's possibility to move from an ABS to private practice later on.

Thanks

Sarai

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2021
I was invited to an AC for the GMS programme (AAT qualification)- recruitment weren’t able to switch me to KPMG Law so I ended up withdrawing before attending the AC. I think TC with an ABS is definitely a good option- I’ve found the recruitment process a lot easier/less competitive (but salary is also lower). Re training pretty sure u get similar experience if interested in seats such as Corporate or Tax.
Thank you

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Hi

Thank you. I'm wondering how studying for the SQE whilst working will affect my success in the exams. My biggest issue is that KPMG's TC seems very new there's little information online about what practice areas a trainee would be involved in, how the TC is structured etc. It makes me a bit concerned about how good the training will be. I'm also wondering if there's possibility to move from an ABS to private practice later on.

Thanks
I don't have any advice regarding the SQE but I do have experience of working whilst studying. I currently work full time as a paralegal in-house for a large multinational company and have a second part time job and undertake the LPC on a part time basis. I'm not going to sugar coat it working and studying is hard, however it is possible - I have achieved consistent distinctions on the LPC. I will also say that alongside the negatives (I am permanently exhausted and stressed) there are also positives, working in a legal capacity whilst studying the LPC means it seems less abstract, I can immediately see the real world application of what I am learning and it provides the background as to why I am doing what I am doing.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Sarai

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2021
I don't have any advice regarding the SQE but I do have experience of working whilst studying. I currently work full time as a paralegal in-house for a large multinational company and have a second part time job and undertake the LPC on a part time basis. I'm not going to sugar coat it working and studying is hard, however it is possible - I have achieved consistent distinctions on the LPC. I will also say that alongside the negatives (I am permanently exhausted and stressed) there are also positives, working in a legal capacity whilst studying the LPC means it seems less abstract, I can immediately see the real world application of what I am learning and it provides the background as to why I am doing what I am doing.
Thank you. Well done for doing so well in the LPC despite having 2 jobs.

• 🤝

Sarai

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2021
Hi @Sarai,

Unfortunately I do not know much about KPMG's recruitment process as this was not a route I considered. However, just looking on the forums, there does seem to be a few other users who have applied to KPMG Law. This post suggests that @OB has and this post suggests @TCApp2021 has. If I am right, they might be able to provide some advice for you!

Thanks for all your help

Sarai

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2021
I'm sorry you weren't able to move over to the law programme. Thank you

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.