late 30s - too old to be a trainee?

duophonic

Standard Member
Apr 27, 2021
hello everyone - hope everyone is having a good week

first post here, so go easy :)

really interested in all your thoughts

I’m a late 30s career changer, having previous done some previous roles in legal departments in technology/communications firms.
got a first for my LLB, and doing the LPC LLM at University of Law, which I’m loving (and getting good grades for!).
despite my good academics, and experience, finding it really hard with TC and VS applications.

applied to a lot of big and medium firms (Norton Rose Fulbright, Taylor Wessing, Fladgate, Bird & Bird) who do some of the technology/media/communications areas I’m interested in.

been rejected from all of them, not even a first stage interview.
3rd year of applying for TC/VSs, although this is the first year I’ve had support from the the Uni of Law careers team.

I’m starting to wonder… as someone nearer 40 than 30, am I aiming too high, and getting rejected?
is ageism a thing, even though firms say they are "diverse"?
wondering if perhaps I should focus on other firms, or reorientate my approach?

really interested in any of your thoughts - good and bad!

thanks all :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Alison C and Jaysen

Jay-Lo

Distinguished Member
Jan 21, 2019

I’m a late 30s career changer, having previous done some previous roles in legal departments in technology/communications firms.
got a first for my LLB, and doing the LPC LLM at University of Law, which I’m loving (and getting good grades for!).
despite my good academics, and experience, finding it really hard with TC and VS applications.

applied to a lot of big and medium firms (Norton Rose Fulbright, Taylor Wessing, Fladgate, Bird & Bird) who do some of the technology/media/communications areas I’m interested in.

3rd year of applying for TC/VSs, although this is the first year I’ve had support from the the Uni of Law careers team.

I’m starting to wonder… as someone nearer 40 than 30, am I aiming too high, and getting rejected?

Check this thread out:

Reactions: Alison C

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019

Hang on in there. The right firm will find you! But you have to find them first. And if you are too old in your 30s then there are quite a few of us who look like write-offs when we are not. I've managed to secure several rejections (it's a numbers game!) and - rather more pleasingly - a vac scheme; also an interesting paralegal role.

Remember, this is about quality applications, to firms who really match your academic standards, your core values and where you see yourself in 5 years' time. And the U Law Careers Team are excellent - as are the crew here at TCLA. Do consider treating yourself to premium membership or applying for a scholarship. And leverage that network!! Arrange chats with the 'ambassadors' on the Aspiring Solicitors website. Go to every Legal Cheek event your schedule will cope with (there's one on May 13th re career changers).

You will be really valuable to someone. But you need to look better, shinier, more wonderful so that they notice.

EDIT: yes, ageism is a thing, some firms specify that they want only certain demographics, but they are pretty clear about it - they are law firms, after all. Of the firms you applied to, I went to a Bird & Bird open day and to a Taylor Wessing event and even though they are terrific firms, they weren't the fit I needed, even though both (especially TW) seemed to be embracing diversity. Be really honest with yourself and be analytical - did you ACTUALLY want to work for them, or were you just jumping through the hoops?

Maybe, as it's such a tough year, you just applied a little too late or your applications (you did a lot, considering you are also excelling academically) weren't quite on the nail. Perhaps there are other firms that are a better fit that you need to re-examine. And do remember, in spite of all the 'PFO's etc, this is working towards something that is going to help you be happier. You are really lucky - and clever - to be doing so well.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’ve regularly recruited trainees in their 30s. Have also recruited them in their 40s. Had a trainee who was in their 60s too!

Age will not be an issue. It’s likely to be something else that is missing for the firms.

Reactions: Alison C and Jaysen

duophonic

Standard Member
    Apr 27, 2021
    Check this thread out:

thank you for sharing Jay-Lo!

duophonic

Standard Member
    Apr 27, 2021
    Hang on in there. The right firm will find you! But you have to find them first. And if you are too old in your 30s then there are quite a few of us who look like write-offs when we are not. I've managed to secure several rejections (it's a numbers game!) and - rather more pleasingly - a vac scheme; also an interesting paralegal role.

Remember, this is about quality applications, to firms who really match your academic standards, your core values and where you see yourself in 5 years' time. And the U Law Careers Team are excellent - as are the crew here at TCLA. Do consider treating yourself to premium membership or applying for a scholarship. And leverage that network!! Arrange chats with the 'ambassadors' on the Aspiring Solicitors website. Go to every Legal Cheek event your schedule will cope with (there's one on May 13th re career changers).

You will be really valuable to someone. But you need to look better, shinier, more wonderful so that they notice.

EDIT: yes, ageism is a thing, some firms specify that they want only certain demographics, but they are pretty clear about it - they are law firms, after all. Of the firms you applied to, I went to a Bird & Bird open day and to a Taylor Wessing event and even though they are terrific firms, they weren't the fit I needed, even though both (especially TW) seemed to be embracing diversity. Be really honest with yourself and be analytical - did you ACTUALLY want to work for them, or were you just jumping through the hoops?

Maybe, as it's such a tough year, you just applied a little too late or your applications (you did a lot, considering you are also excelling academically) weren't quite on the nail. Perhaps there are other firms that are a better fit that you need to re-examine. And do remember, in spite of all the 'PFO's etc, this is working towards something that is going to help you be happier. You are really lucky - and clever - to be doing so well.
    thank you so much for your kind and detailed words, Alison, I really appreciate it!
    very interesting take on things, and many aspects of the process I'd not thought of.
    I have set aside next weekend to go through things and reflect on what I could do differently.
    as it happens I'm already signed up for the Legal Cheek event on May 13th, so feel like I'm already doing more good stuff :)
    thank you again

• 🤝

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    thank you for sharing your thoughts Jessica, really good and positive to read that!
    Average age of a trainee is 28, so it really isn’t an issue. There are some general trends that happen with older candidates that can sometimes act as a bit of a barrier (typically school qualifications and starting a career from scratch) that is could be an issue beyond someone’s actual age.

• ℹ️

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.