Law Commission Research Assistant Applications

letsee

Feb 5, 2021
Hi all, just thought I'd start a thread for anyone else who has applied to the Law Commission Research Assistant post -- according to the guide for applicants, we're meant to hear back today (but that seems increasingly unlikely given public sector working hours).

letsee

Feb 5, 2021
my application status just changed to "your application is currently on hold, and we will be in contact with you shortly to let you know the next stage of the recruitment process" -- anyone know what this means?

Lawsm21

Oct 19, 2020
my application status just changed to "your application is currently on hold, and we will be in contact with you shortly to let you know the next stage of the recruitment process" -- anyone know what this means?
That sounds like an encouraging update!
I've just checked my application status and it hasn't changed- it still says "Thank you for applying. Your application has been successfully stored onto our database and will be processed shortly." So either they haven't looked at mine yet or I will soon receive a rejection..!

Lawsm21

Oct 19, 2020
My status has now changed to this too! Have you heard anymore from them since?

letsee

Feb 5, 2021
My status has now changed to this too! Have you heard anymore from them since?
Nope, I'm starting to lose hope because the guide for applicants says invitations to interview would be sent out on March 1st -- I'm guessing that means they sent those out and the rest are rejections? What do you reckon?

Lawsm21

Oct 19, 2020
Nope, I'm starting to lose hope because the guide for applicants says invitations to interview would be sent out on March 1st -- I'm guessing that means they sent those out and the rest are rejections? What do you reckon?
Yeah that is what I was thinking but then re-read the guide and it said at the bottom of that page "*These dates provisional and may be subject to change." Normally I would probably think that it means a rejection but I feel like this year many more people would have applied (seems to be the case for everything!) so feel like they may be inundated and just taking a bit longer..? That's what I am hoping at least haha!

Reactions: letsee

letsee

Feb 5, 2021
Yeah that is what I was thinking but then re-read the guide and it said at the bottom of that page "*These dates provisional and may be subject to change." Normally I would probably think that it means a rejection but I feel like this year many more people would have applied (seems to be the case for everything!) so feel like they may be inundated and just taking a bit longer..? That's what I am hoping at least haha!
I hope so too! Also I'm kind of taking solace in the fact that the guide was riddled with inconsistencies so maybe this is just one more...

Lawsm21

Oct 19, 2020
Yeaah haha did the blind CV bit completely stump you? They were directly contradicting themselves about what information to put, in the end I put my uni in but was a bit like c'mon guys??

Hopefully we will have an answer soon!

Hibbth

Jan 12, 2020
Hey, another applicant here. Mine changed to "your application is currently on hold" on Friday. Have been looking everywhere to find out what it means! Anyone got any further updates? I'm hoping we might find out on Monday.

@Lawsm21 - I think that's right. The application talk at our uni pointed this out, and said it's fine to put in. But I'm sure it doesn't matter too much either way.

Ps there's another thread here for those looking for updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: letsee

Hibbth

Jan 12, 2020
Update: I just spoke to my cousin who works at the Civil Service. Apparently 'on hold' means nothing more than they haven't finished processing all the applications. Government is busy and sometimes they change the expected date! Might be a few days wait still, maybe longer.

Reactions: Lawsm21 and letsee

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.