Law Firm Cover Letter

Hamilton

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 8, 2018
Hi folks,

First time I've encountered one of these open ended cover letters (1000 words). I'm wondering what the best way to approach it is?

I was going to follow this structure: brief intro (me, what i'm applying for etc), second paragraph will be about my qualities learned from internships/extra-curriculars, third paragraph why them, their work, and reason for interest.

However, for the second section, I'm so used to using the STAR technique but I've been told that I shouldn't use that in this style of application?

Hopefully I can glean some insight off those of you who have done these before!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi folks,

First time I've encountered one of these open ended cover letters (1000 words). I'm wondering what the best way to approach it is?

I was going to follow this structure: brief intro (me, what i'm applying for etc), second paragraph will be about my qualities learned from internships/extra-curriculars, third paragraph why them, their work, and reason for interest.

However, for the second section, I'm so used to using the STAR technique but I've been told that I shouldn't use that in this style of application?

What firm is this for?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi folks,

Yes you wouldn't use the STAR structure in a cover letter unless you briefly wanted to use it for an activity. You can however use your answer to the typical extra-curricular question: "Please include activities, interests and positions of responsibility, whether at school, university or otherwise."

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018
    The basic structure I've been told to use is:
    1. why law
    2. why this firm in particular (and can include why you would want to train there too as firms like W&C, Jones Day want to see this)
    3. why you
    I got an interview at Jones Day based on that structure if that helps!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi folks,

The basic structure I've been told to use is:
    1. why law
    2. why this firm in particular (and can include why you would want to train there too as firms like W&C, Jones Day want to see this)
    3. why you
    I got an interview at Jones Day based on that structure if that helps!

Hi Will,

I basically used the same structure as Naomi for my cover letters to White & Case and to Clifford Chance so think that's a reasonable way of going about it. When saying why me in paragraph 3, that's where I used the STAR technique when giving examples of my skills but other than that I avoided it.

Hope that helps,
    Dan

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 20, 2018
    Hi Will,

I basically used the same structure as Naomi for my cover letters to White & Case and to Clifford Chance so think that's a reasonable way of going about it. When saying why me in paragraph 3, that's where I used the STAR technique when giving examples of my skills but other than that I avoided it.

Hope that helps,
    Dan

Hi Dan,

Did you also include why commercial law, or you just stated why law?

Many thanks

Nat

Star Member
    Sep 8, 2018
    Hi all

I am taking a slightly different approach and merging the why my/why them paragraphs. I find it easier to match my skills with the firm's profile. You can see an example below on why commercial law. Let me know what you think, this is only a first draft so feel free to be brutal!

I have always been commercially driven and I am seeking an opportunity to help clients bring their business ambitions to life. I am keen to be part of their commercial journeys and contribute to their success. My entrepreneurial spirit can be spotted from the age of 7 when I created a handwritten newspaper and tried to sell it to neighbours in order to generate money for my first computer. Later evidence of my commercial nature can be found during my role as a Senior Records Co-ordinator where I handled a negotiation for a free description audit, which resulted to savings of £5,000 for the business. Precedent was set and this service continued to be offered free of charge to the firm. Commercial law practised at a firm like White & Case caters to my entrepreneurial mindset. Reading about the firm’s negotiations between Concordia and its creditors on its US$3.7 billion recapitalisation, I wished I could be part of such transaction and help clients like Concordia execute their business strategies.

Thank you!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Hi folks,

Hey there,

I attended Ashurst's open evening a few weeks ago, and the pointers I picked up from HR and Nick Wong (the graduate recruitment partner) were:
    • The cover letter is largely focused on you, and the main thing they look for in the cover letter is evidence that you meet their key competencies. You can find these on their website. Nick Wong specifically mentioned that if you provide clear examples of you meeting each of their competencies, then you essentially tick off all the boxes, and it would hard for them not to progress you (assuming everything else on the app is fine). There was a student on their winter VS who said he followed this approach (and was evidently successful).
    • They also look for evidence that you can relate your motivations and experiences back to the firm, though there is a separate section on 'Why Ashurst' specifically so you don't have to go on about this in extenso in the cover letter.
    Like many above have suggested, I also followed the tried and tested formula of 'why law, why Ashurst, why me', and was successful at application stage. However, about half of the cover letter was on 'why me', and I expanded on 'why Ashurst' in the second written question.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I just realised the original post was about a month ago. Sorry for the late response. I hope this helps anyone else still applying to Ashurst, or thinking about it x

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all

I am taking a slightly different approach and merging the why my/why them paragraphs. I find it easier to match my skills with the firm's profile. You can see an example below on why commercial law. Let me know what you think, this is only a first draft so feel free to be brutal!

I have always been commercially driven and I am seeking an opportunity to help clients bring their business ambitions to life. I am keen to be part of their commercial journeys and contribute to their success. My entrepreneurial spirit can be spotted from the age of 7 when I created a handwritten newspaper and tried to sell it to neighbours in order to generate money for my first computer. Later evidence of my commercial nature can be found during my role as a Senior Records Co-ordinator where I handled a negotiation for a free description audit, which resulted to savings of £5,000 for the business. Precedent was set and this service continued to be offered free of charge to the firm. Commercial law practised at a firm like White & Case caters to my entrepreneurial mindset. Reading about the firm’s negotiations between Concordia and its creditors on its US$3.7 billion recapitalisation, I wished I could be part of such transaction and help clients like Concordia execute their business strategies.

Thank you!

I feel talking about why commercial law/why me/why W&C in one paragraph dilutes the quality of each of the answers. Some quick thoughts:

upload_2018-12-2_0-7-52.png

• ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: encrenoire, Maheema and Nat

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you for taking the time to review this, Jaysen. Much appreciated. I guess I should keep the first two sentences and the firm's deal and expand on it and leave the personal examples for another paragraph.

I should add - I reviewed a W&C application (today, actually) where a student merged why W&C with personal examples really well. It is definitely possible to merge those two, but I suggest you try to be more direct and specific with your reasons for applying to W&C and how that is relevant to you (or the other way around). e.g. I am interested in W&C's guarantee of an international secondment. This is because I enjoy meeting learning about different cultures. For example, I spent the last nine months travelling in XYZ... (Although note, it doesn't need to be anywhere near this rigid in practice.)

• 🤝
    Reactions: encrenoire and Nat

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.