Law Firm Partnership Models

CompletelyCait

Dec 29, 2021
Hi!

I recently attended an Open Day at Shearman & Sterling and one of the speakers said that Sheaman & Sterling have a single global partnership, where all the firm's partners are in a single equity pool/pot of profits. He said that other elite NY firms also had this model, e.g. Weil, Gotshal & Manges, but that there are alternative models which separate profits by office, such as in White & Case.

However, I'm having trouble finding any of this online. I'm not sure what the names of these different models are and when I google things relating to partnerships or profits, I can't see White & Case posting anything about separating by office, only profits per partner.

Has anyone got any idea what these models are called OR where to find this information about each law firm? (I've already checked W&C's annual review)

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
One of the only (and best articles) I have found on this is by Shearman & Sterling themselves here. This too is a helpful article by LCN on the types of law firm partnerships. I hope this helps?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.