traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
Hi All,

This is my first time posting on here!

I am a Law Graduate, and recently made it to a final stage TC interview following a Vac Scheme, but I was unsuccessful. The feedback I received was that I performed well in all my tasks and I came across very well in all my meetings and discussions. However, for two tasks and the negotiation exercise, there were concerns about my analysis and my ability to orally communicate this (both task-wise and with commercial awareness). This is why, following quite a difficult TC interview, I was not offered the TC.

I was just wondering if anybody had any advice about improving these areas (deep analysis and communicating this, particularly when it comes to Commercial Awareness).

Also, if anybody has any tips on overcoming this rejection. This firm's policy means you can't reapply following rejection, but I'd hate to make the same mistakes with another firm! Unfortunately I had an overrunning medical appointment so I missed yesterday's webinar.

I'd appreciate any advice or insight anybody has.

Thank you :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Staples

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I think your problem is not a bad one because it’s something in my opinion that can be improved with practice- I’m honestly the same and I struggle just as much.
One thing that really helped me was getting a subscription to the FT, and then reading it; analysing it & then orally saying it to yourself or say it to someone that will listen or watch it back.
Maybe take a half hour out of your time about 2-3 times a week. You will be improving your analysis, strengthening your commercial awareness & your ability to communicate.
I would definitely recommend talking to a parent or a sibling or a friend and asking them if they understand what you’re talking about. My parents never went to university & don’t have jobs that require academics, so whenever I explain a concept to them from anything I have to be really clear and concise. This has definitely helped me explain things clearly, so honestly it takes practice.
This is just my experiences :)

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
I think your problem is not a bad one because it’s something in my opinion that can be improved with practice- I’m honestly the same and I struggle just as much.
One thing that really helped me was getting a subscription to the FT, and then reading it; analysing it & then orally saying it to yourself or say it to someone that will listen or watch it back.
Maybe take a half hour out of your time about 2-3 times a week. You will be improving your analysis, strengthening your commercial awareness & your ability to communicate.
I would definitely recommend talking to a parent or a sibling or a friend and asking them if they understand what you’re talking about. My parents never went to university & don’t have jobs that require academics, so whenever I explain a concept to them from anything I have to be really clear and concise. This has definitely helped me explain things clearly, so honestly it takes practice.
This is just my experiences :)

Thank you so much for your insight, I really appreciate it and I'll take that on board! :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.