Leaving a job after 3 months to apply for Training Contracts

Legalregal

Valued Member
Jan 13, 2021
I am considering leaving my job as a paralegal at a high street type firm so that I can focus on what is left of the training contract season. It is really hard to meet firms and write a good app alongside a full-time job. Does leaving a role after only 3 months for this reason look back? is it best to just stick it out until september and apply for vac scheme?

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hey, firstly I know how hard it can be to balance full time work as a paralegal and applications! Sometimes its just so incredibly frustrating and you feel like the process is just not accommodating to those in full time work!

I think the things you need to consider are A) do you need to keep working to maintain income? B) Are there enough applications still open that you'd apply to to warrant resigning?

Its probably worth drawing up a list of applications you'd like to make, and see whether you feel as if you could complete them in evenings/weekends. It depends how busy your job is, but maybe starting an hour earlier each day to get some app writing done would be useful and build up quickly. I think that my gut instinct would be to say don't leave your current role, as it will give you sooo many talking points on your app/at interview and really show your motivation for law. However, I do completely empathize with the problem of having interviews/having to take time off work. Luckily my employer is really understanding and supportive, so have you tried speaking to yours? If you're a recent grad in a paralegal role they probably won't be entirely surprised you're looking for a TC.

Maybe select 2/3 apps you really want to make and work on those before/after work or sneak some time if you're having a quieter day. Like I said, I fully understand how difficult it can be balancing both, and I have definitely not made as many apps as I'd like because work is just so busy. In my case I have to keep working because I need the money, and I do really love it and its great experience. On the 3 months point, some may disagree with me but I think its not unusual to have only 3 months paralegalling - often they are temporary contract roles that are project based for a few months, companies like F-LEX etc have also increased the prevalence of grads in shorter term roles so I wouldnt necessarily worry about people looking down on you only being there 3 months.

I hope some of that is helpful! My gut would be to say stay and see if you can speak to your employer, as otherwise you might be in the same situation further down the line when wanting to take time off for VS. Good Luck and feel free to PM if you want to chat more about it!!

Reactions: Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am considering leaving my job as a paralegal at a high street type firm so that I can focus on what is left of the training contract season. It is really hard to meet firms and write a good app alongside a full-time job. Does leaving a role after only 3 months for this reason look back? is it best to just stick it out until september and apply for vac scheme?
It would be better to stick it out in my opinion. Both for your application (not just because you left, but more so because you are still employed).

It could look like you left as you weren’t interested or weren’t good enough for the job, especially if you leave for no other major commitment (such as another job or full time education).

I suspect there are some better solutions. Could you utilise your annual leave for applications? Could you work reduced hours so you have more time to focus on applications?

Reactions: Alison C

Legalregal

Valued Member
Jan 13, 2021
Hey, firstly I know how hard it can be to balance full time work as a paralegal and applications! Sometimes its just so incredibly frustrating and you feel like the process is just not accommodating to those in full time work!

I think the things you need to consider are A) do you need to keep working to maintain income? B) Are there enough applications still open that you'd apply to to warrant resigning?

Its probably worth drawing up a list of applications you'd like to make, and see whether you feel as if you could complete them in evenings/weekends. It depends how busy your job is, but maybe starting an hour earlier each day to get some app writing done would be useful and build up quickly. I think that my gut instinct would be to say don't leave your current role, as it will give you sooo many talking points on your app/at interview and really show your motivation for law. However, I do completely empathize with the problem of having interviews/having to take time off work. Luckily my employer is really understanding and supportive, so have you tried speaking to yours? If you're a recent grad in a paralegal role they probably won't be entirely surprised you're looking for a TC.

Maybe select 2/3 apps you really want to make and work on those before/after work or sneak some time if you're having a quieter day. Like I said, I fully understand how difficult it can be balancing both, and I have definitely not made as many apps as I'd like because work is just so busy. In my case I have to keep working because I need the money, and I do really love it and its great experience. On the 3 months point, some may disagree with me but I think its not unusual to have only 3 months paralegalling - often they are temporary contract roles that are project based for a few months, companies like F-LEX etc have also increased the prevalence of grads in shorter term roles so I wouldnt necessarily worry about people looking down on you only being there 3 months.

I hope some of that is helpful! My gut would be to say stay and see if you can speak to your employer, as otherwise you might be in the same situation further down the line when wanting to take time off for VS. Good Luck and feel free to PM if you want to chat more about it!!
Big thanks for contributing this. I read it in the morning and have been mulling it over all day.

For me B) is an important factor. Honestly, I do not think there is enough to make it worth while.

What has your employer done for you? I've been able to do use flexi time to attend some things which has been nice but then not enough time after to put an application in! I am considering asking to go part time.

I reckon I'll just put one app in this season and really go for it in September.

Legalregal

Valued Member
Jan 13, 2021
It would be better to stick it out in my opinion. Both for your application (not just because you left, but more so because you are still employed).

It could look like you left as you weren’t interested or weren’t good enough for the job, especially if you leave for no other major commitment (such as another job or full time education).

I suspect there are some better solutions. Could you utilise your annual leave for applications? Could you work reduced hours so you have more time to focus on applications?
Thanks for the prospective.

I think I will see if I can go temporarily part-time until the end of July.

DonnieDarko

Future Trainee
Dec 21, 2020
I worked FT, went to school FT and applied for TCs. Unless you are independently wealthy or truly have the means to be unemployed, I would suggest remaining.
A. Paralegal jobs are hard to come by even for LPC graduates
B. It is highly relevant experience that many applying for TCs will not have
C. Leaving any company after 3 months is bad, but as a GR it would be a red flag for me were I to see you’d left a paralegal job so soon

Never underestimate your own abilities and work ethic. Your ability to work and hopefully apply for TCs/VSs will demonstrate your commitment to a career in legal profession. It may mean you need to buckle down and work out some real time/project management. You may not be able to spend all free time with friends/families.

But if you prioritise your time and the right number of applications, you’re in with a chance.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.