Leaving 'If you intend to take or have taken the PGDL/GDL/CPE/JD' section blank

HannaJ99

Nov 17, 2021
Apologies if a similar thread has been posted previously.
I was wondering if leaving the 'If you intend to take or have taken the PGDL/GDL/CPE/JD' section of the application completely blank looks bad to a recruiter? My conundrum is that if I do not get a firm to fund the PGDL, I will not take the PGDL. Instead, I would take a 40-week SQE Barbri prep course and then the SQE exams (due to financial reasons). Do you think I should fill it in and select 'place not confirmed' (so that there is something written there) or just leave it blank?

If anyone could help or advise me on this, that would be great! :)

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @HannaJ99,

Welcome to the forum!

Personally I think that this question is aimed at understanding what stage you are at in your legal studies and your commitment to a legal career. It sounds like you are committed to pursuing legal qualification (which is, I think what the firm is trying to understand from this question given that you have not already completed the GDL/PGDL etc.). I would suggest that you make clear that you do intend on pursuing a career in law and that the route by which you intend on doing it is currently uncertain. This given your background (i.e., not having completed the conversion course) it unlikely to be a decisive part of your application, so I would not worry too much!

Practically speaking, I do not know what other options you have available for this question to select, but I would have thought 'place not confirmed' seems appropriate.

Tagging @Jessica Booker to see if she has thoughts on this.

Do ask if you would like any other questions answered 🚀

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.