Legal experience and TC application with no questions

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
Hi all - I had a question on what everyone thought on not getting through on the first stage on most applications despite having 20 years plus legal experience in top City law firms and one high street law firm. I know it is not just down to this section that you would get through on to the next stage. However, in most industries having relevant experience is what is looked for in applying for a job. I have had my training contract applications looked at and one highlighted I had not used the STAR technique enough on my work experience section. I agree this was the case but I got through to the next stage on only one application despite not using the STAR technique so this cannot be the only reason. What are people's thoughts on this? Did it help if you got more legal experience in the area of law you are most interested in working in? This point confuses me as if I have worked in the industry for this long why am I not even getting through the first stage. I am beginning to think that I should turn away from law completely.

On a separate note, if a law firm has an application form where there are just the general questions of exam results and work experience. Other than doing the usual research on the firm's values and what they look for, how can I make the application stand out?

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The question could be that if you have worked in the industry for this long, whether you need a training contract.

Your length of experience is exceptionally rare.

Many would wonder why 1) you haven’t qualified before now and 2) why you couldn’t qualify much more quickly via the SQE with your previous experience, rather than having to wait until 2028/29 to qualify via TCs currently open.

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
The question could be that if you have worked in the industry for this long, whether you need a training contract.

Your length of experience is exceptionally rare.

Many would wonder why 1) you haven’t qualified before now and 2) why you couldn’t qualify much more quickly via the SQE with your previous experience, rather than having to wait until 2028/29 to qualify via TCs currently open.
Thanks Jessica. I need a training contract to qualify as a solicitor according to SRA and I haven't been offered one from applying as mentioned in my post. My 20 years experience as a Legal PA doesn't enable me to qualify as a solicitor. If I was able to qualify via the SQE route without dropping £20k in salary (£25k is the average London salary for a paralegal which won't pay my outgoings) that of course would be the route I would have taken. It doesn't give much comfort to those like me who work in the industry for this long that law firms value those who have such good experience. I'm sure I would be snapped up if it was in another industry. I can apply where I work but it is mainly banking and corporate where my interest doesn't lie. Yes it is incredibly frustrating seeing trainees come in with hardly any knowledge or experience and being so young they often find it difficult communicating /dealing with different fee-earners not in their age group, etc. I will continue to apply only for so long but personally I foresee it will be another industry that gain my transferable and mature skillset/experience.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.