Let us follow your Training Contract Journey!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

You may have just seen this new section of the forum pop up. It's an opportunity for you to introduce yourself and let us follow along your training contract journey. You might also find this a good way to motivate yourself to work on specific things in the application process.

Anyone can create a thread in this forum and post as frequently as they wish. You might want to include what you're working towards at the moment, how you're feeling at different stages of the process and your goals for the future. You could also share anything you've come across that you've found useful and/or any setbacks you've faced.

There's no pressure in these threads - these threads are yours, so feel free to only share what you feel comfortable sharing. Likewise, you are very welcome to stay anonymous.

We’ll be reading these threads, so feel free to make clear anything you’re stuck on at the moment, and we can try to send some advice/guidance your way.

I look forward to reading your stories!

Best,

Jaysen

Nibel Mabrouk

Sep 24, 2019
    Hi Jaysen,

I am currently taking my GDL and planning to take the LPC also.I have been applying for TCs / Vac schemes for two years now and still cannot pass the first stage ( application form and online assessment). I sent some of the forms to few tutors. They all gave positive feedback. Could you please provide me with any tips / recommendations ? Is it fine to keep applying for several years to the same law firms? Would it be possible to do a training at a non-english firm?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

I am currently taking my GDL and planning to take the LPC also.I have been applying for TCs / Vac schemes for two years now and still cannot pass the first stage ( application form and online assessment). I sent some of the forms to few tutors. They all gave positive feedback. Could you please provide me with any tips / recommendations ? Is it fine to keep applying for several years to the same law firms? Would it be possible to do a training at a non-english firm?

Hi Nibel, I would need a lot more information about your background/grades/work experience/the quality of your apps. Feel free to message them to me.

Nibel Mabrouk

Sep 24, 2019
    Hi Nibel, I would need a lot more information about your background/grades/work experience/the quality of your apps. Feel free to message them to me.

Hi Jaysen,

Thank you for your reply.
    I pursued my LLB studies outside the UK then continued my LLM in Bournemouth on International Commercial Law. My undergraduate grades were the equivalence of 2:1 also my high school score. I did two years of experience as a paralegal in both Pinsent Masons (London) and A&O (UAE). I am applying to all types of law firms from Magic circle to US law firms. Currently, I received a seat confirmation for my GDL. I would be grateful if you could assist me with finding a clarification for the above queries.

Many Thanks.

Nibel

Chidiogo Obidike

Standard Member
    Jan 27, 2021
    Hi, my name is Chidiogo.In respect of graduate applications, I have got only 6 months worth of experience in paralegal role here in the UK. However, I have 2 years and 5 months worth of experience from Nigeria in the law field.
    Would you advice that I make a TC Application or a vacation scheme Application?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi, my name is Chidiogo.In respect of graduate applications, I have got only 6 months worth of experience in paralegal role here in the UK. However, I have 2 years and 5 months worth of experience from Nigeria in the law field.
    Would you advice that I make a TC Application or a vacation scheme Application?

Hi Chidiogo,

That's a lot of really great experience for your applications!

Most people tend to make VS apps instead of TC ones because many firms recruit a larger proportion of candidates from vacation schemes. I personally would suggest making both VS and TC applicants. This thread has a list of firms which recruit a decent number of trainees from the TC route and I'd probably make TC apps to those firms and VS apps to any other firms you're interested in. :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.