James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi everyone! With the start of the new month, I wanted to open up a community discussion in which you can all talk about your interests, achievements, passions, leisure activities, hobbies, or anything at all...except for law firm applications! I know that our wonderful community of aspiring lawyers has an amazing array of unrelated interests and I hope that this can serve as a relaxed place for you to discuss what you do outside of your studies and your applications to law firms. Whether it is playing a sport or watching a certain TV show, you can add anything that you feel reflects a little bit of your non-professional side!

I have already mentioned in the new community managers' AMA thread that I love music and have committed a large amount of time to playing piano over my life! Here I wanted to add some hobbies that I've developed over the last few years, namely playing pool/snooker and chess! I got really into pool after a friend started taking me to a local club to play. What I love about it is that it's one of those activities where you can be of a very different level to your opponent and both can still have a great time. With chess, I played a bit when I was young, but over lockdown some of my friends started playing online regularly and I rediscovered it as an excellent pastime! I even started following a couple of chess YouTube channels and was of course thrilled when the Queen's Gambit came out on Netflix!

Please chime in with your own passions/interests/hobbies etc 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob93 and Jaysen

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Actually, I just had the idea that TCLA members could form an online chess league if anyone is interested. Let me know if you are interested (or whether there is perhaps another online game or activity that you would prefer) and I can look into creating a league/tournament for members to play with each other!

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
A big thank you to @James Carrabino for starting this thread off! I'm a big believer in finding out and staying in touch with who you are outside of making applications and aspiring for a career in law, and I hope that making/reading posts here helps you do this.

Some of my hobbies/interests- I've recently discovered that I can *somewhat* sing and I've really been enjoying jamming with some of the musicians around where I live. I also enjoy painting, and it's something that I'm looking at getting back to now that I've settled into my new home. Thinking of doing a series of sunsets/sunrises but I have no direction for this project which is going to make this interesting to execute 😂 I'm also very big on sports and play football with my local team every week. @James Carrabino I love pool too! Maybe we can do some sort of a pool/snooker league too! 😃

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    Hi James! This is an amazing idea :)

Some of my hobbies/interests - I really enjoy photography and I have been trying to "build" my own freelance photography business for some time now. I have photographed some weddings but I am really proud to say I have photographed some of the biggest rock bands on the planet (and got in the gigs for free) :D I also really enjoy listening to music and creating spotify playlists to discover more artists. I also like working out (most of it is very intense strength training), reading crime novels and watching F1 (I really like to pretend to be the strategy analyst and commentator during the races).

Can't wait to hear some other people's interests :) Might even pick up a new hobby after that!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021

Some of my hobbies/interests - I really enjoy photography and I have been trying to "build" my own freelance photography business for some time now. I have photographed some weddings but I am really proud to say I have photographed some of the biggest rock bands on the planet (and got in the gigs for free) :D I also really enjoy listening to music and creating spotify playlists to discover more artists. I also like working out (most of it is very intense strength training), reading crime novels and watching F1 (I really like to pretend to be the strategy analyst and commentator during the races).

Can't wait to hear some other people's interests :) Might even pick up a new hobby after that!
    @atrumregina1,

Wow! Do you have a public Spotify 🎷 playlist? Would love to check it out.

@Jaysen has there ever been a TCLA-sponsored 'applications playlist'?

@James Carrabino and @AvniD loved reading your posts too. Looking forward to hearing from others in the community too! 🥳

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @atrumregina1,

Wow! Do you have a public Spotify 🎷 playlist? Would love to check it out.

@Jaysen has there ever been a TCLA-sponsored 'applications playlist'?

@James Carrabino and @AvniD loved reading your posts too. Looking forward to hearing from others in the community too! 🥳
    Aha, there has not. I'm not too sure what kind of music we would choose to represent TCLA or applications!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021

That is all incredibly cool - you can't get a much broader range of interests than that! Also nice picture...but you don't make mention of chess! Do you play as well? I'm also looking out for new hobbies (I hear that watching F1 is quite a good one so I may check it out) :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    That is all incredibly cool - you can't get a much broader range of interests than that! Also nice picture...but you don't make mention of chess! Do you play as well? I'm also looking out for new hobbies (I hear that watching F1 is quite a good one so I may check it out) :)
    I play chess but I am not that good so wouldn't consider it a hobby :) I like all sorts of board games though :D Deffo recommend watching F1 and reading into it, it is more interesting when you know they story behind some teams, the money thrown in and how the strategy in every race can be crucial for the next race or for the future of the team in general :) I wish F1 came up on interviews, I'd be able to fully analyse the commercials behind it haha

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    I play chess but I am not that good so wouldn't consider it a hobby :) I like all sorts of board games though :D Deffo recommend watching F1 and reading into it, it is more interesting when you know they story behind some teams, the money thrown in and how the strategy in every race can be crucial for the next race or for the future of the team in general :) I wish F1 came up on interviews, I'd be able to fully analyse the commercials behind it haha
    I remember that Norton Rose Fullbright was sponsoring one of the teams in the past cos I remember they had a sticker on one of the teams' cars, not sure which one. A genuine question for @atrumregina1 and anyone reading this as I'm really interested in the answer, how could an F1 fan applying to NRF in the season that they sponsored one of the teams use this information in the best possible way?

Ashurst is the official legal services to the Mclaren group btw - genuine question again, can this be used in the Ashurst app if you are a Mclaren fanboy?

Thanks in advance.

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    I remember that Norton Rose Fullbright was sponsoring one of the teams in the past cos I remember they had a sticker on one of the teams' cars, not sure which one. A genuine question for @atrumregina1 and anyone reading this as I'm really interested in the answer, how could an F1 fan applying to NRF in the season that they sponsored one of the teams use this information in the best possible way?

Ashurst is the official legal services to the Mclaren group btw - genuine question again, can this be used in the Ashurst app if you are a Mclaren fanboy?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes NRF sponsor the mercedes team and Ashurst are the official legal for Mclaren group and Mclaren racing. I am also interested to see some answers to these questions :) Genuinely have no idea how I would answer this.

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021

Thanks in advance.

Yes NRF sponsor the mercedes team and Ashurst are the official legal for Mclaren group and Mclaren racing. I am also interested to see some answers to these questions :) Genuinely have no idea how I would answer this.
    Hi @futuretraineesolicitor and @atrumregina1!

Completely agree with @James Carrabino, you both sound like you have a really interesting range of interests.

So your question about bringing F1 🏎️ into interviews is difficult to answer in the abstract as ultimately it will depend on the question the firm poses. However, thinking back to when I was applying, I was often asked about whether there was a particular industry that I would like to work with or about my interests (which were not connected to law/university). This particular example also strikes me as a very good way of reasoning why the firm intrigues you too.

More specifically:

@futuretraineesolicitor - yes! I would use this. If it is a subject that you are genuinely enthused by, then it will come across very well in interview. Just link it back to what the substantive work might be and why that interests you particularly.

@atrumregina1, when you mention you have no idea how you would answer this, what are you referring to? Are you talking just about how you would incorporate this interest into an application? It strikes me, as I mentioned before, that this is a really natural way of justifying "Why NRF?". Also, if you are lucky, it might be a neat way of connecting with your interviewer (if they are also an F1 fan(!)- it is always worth asking the question) 🧐.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Just want to say the fact that you've built your business to the point of photographing rock bands is just so insanely cool! Sincerely hope you are name-dropping all of these artists in your apps - I know I would!!!

My interests are slightly more conventional I think. I've always loved to read but this year have especially discovered a love for poetry. I love to run because it's the one thing that keeps me sane when I'm stressed. Cooking is my creative outlet - I'm particularly good at indian (surprise an indian girl that can cook indian food haha) and japanese food but I also like to just experiment with different flavours (completely free of recipes). Most of the time it actually turns out great (in another life I thInk I would have gone to culinary school!). One of my goals for the next few months is to take a cooking class at least twice a month! I also love to hike and camp - I've spent the last few months in America and the national parks here never cease to amaze me (currently planning to return on spring to visit more of them!).

My most rogue interest is my love for astrology, all things horoscopes and star signs. I read a lot around it and have even attended webinars. I never try to convince skeptics but I find even the people who think it's absolute rubbish never stop me when I tell them about their sign haha. It's my favourite party trick ;)

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    Just want to say the fact that you've built your business to the point of photographing rock bands is just so insanely cool! Sincerely hope you are name-dropping all of these artists in your apps - I know I would!!!

My interests are slightly more conventional I think. I've always loved to read but this year have especially discovered a love for poetry. I love to run because it's the one thing that keeps me sane when I'm stressed. Cooking is my creative outlet - I'm particularly good at indian (surprise an indian girl that can cook indian food haha) and japanese food but I also like to just experiment with different flavours (completely free of recipes). Most of the time it actually turns out great (in another life I thInk I would have gone to culinary school!). One of my goals for the next few months is to take a cooking class at least twice a month! I also love to hike and camp - I've spent the last few months in America and the national parks here never cease to amaze me (currently planning to return on spring to visit more of them!).

My most rogue interest is my love for astrology, all things horoscopes and star signs. I read a lot around it and have even attended webinars. I never try to convince skeptics but I find even the people who think it's absolute rubbish never stop me when I tell them about their sign haha. It's my favourite party trick ;)
    Don’t know if law firms are interested to find out about the Scorpions but will mention it in extra-curriculars next time ☺️

Woooow your cooking abilities sound amazing! (among everything else). What is your favourite cuisine other than indian to cook?

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021

Thanks in advance.
    This is so cool to hear! Honestly you could simply comment that F1 is something you are passionate about and would love to do work that you would know a lot about and find really interesting and which helps the sport! Also you could prepare something commercial you know about F1 as a general business news story when firms ask you for one - it would be unique and your enthusiasm would likely come through when you talk about it :)

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    This is so cool to hear! Honestly you could simply comment that F1 is something you are passionate about and would love to do work that you would know a lot about and find really interesting and which helps the sport! Also you could prepare something commercial you know about F1 as a general business news story when firms ask you for one - it would be unique and your enthusiasm would likely come through when you talk about it :)
    That is a great idea! There are a lot of business stories I can think about for F1 I’ll have to try and connect them to the firms. Thank you ☺️

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    That is a great idea! There are a lot of business stories I can think about for F1 I’ll have to try and connect them to the firms. Thank you ☺️
    Of course! Isn't it amazing how this thread has already got back to the topic of law firm applications 🤣 I'm more than happy if it helps you to tie in your outside interests to make your apps more personal though 😀

Reactions: George Maxwell

IRO

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer 5
    Jan 21, 2021
    F1 was actually the theme of one of my vac scheme exercises so you never know!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.