Likelihood of getting selected for a silver circle vacation scheme

goatenthusiast12

Dec 7, 2022
Hello. I'm an international student doing LLB in a British university that is ranked pretty low. Now I know that a majority of silver circle (and magic ofc) firms tend to go for either oxbridge or RG unis. I also know that they select a few students that are from neither oxbridge or RG universities, but even then they're pretty decent unis. I won't name mine but its ranked around 60-80 in the UK. Do I have a chance of being selected for a vacation scheme or a training contract given that I'm the ideal candidate in other aspects (have good Alevel grades, have a 2.1 or above in uni, tons of work experience, and know how to make my application stand out) but come from a 'low tier uni'? I feel down when thinking about this. Are there any stories out there of candidates from low ranked unis securing a VS or/and a TC in a silver circle firm? Also any advice to make my application look more attractive would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello. I'm an international student doing LLB in a British university that is ranked pretty low. Now I know that a majority of silver circle (and magic ofc) firms tend to go for either oxbridge or RG unis. I also know that they select a few students that are from neither oxbridge or RG universities, but even then they're pretty decent unis. I won't name mine but its ranked around 60-80 in the UK. Do I have a chance of being selected for a vacation scheme or a training contract given that I'm the ideal candidate in other aspects (have good Alevel grades, have a 2.1 or above in uni, tons of work experience, and know how to make my application stand out) but come from a 'low tier uni'? I feel down when thinking about this. Are there any stories out there of candidates from low ranked unis securing a VS or/and a TC in a silver circle firm? Also any advice to make my application look more attractive would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
University brand will not be an issue at MC or SC firms.

There are a whole host of reasons why fewer low-ranked universities are represented in trainee cohorts, but the main reasons are:
  • A lot of their students won't meet academic requirements, specifically A-level or equivalent grades
  • Access to careers events/networking with law firms is trickier as firms are less likely to attend events at those universities
  • Careers advice from careers service or academics can be more difficult to obtain due to lack of expertise
  • The student population usually are not aiming on mass to go into MC or SC firms - so there is less peer support networks
If you feel you can get past such typical barriers, there shouldn't be any issue with you applying.

In my time, I have recruited from:

University of Sussex
Aston University, Birmingham
University of East Anglia UEA
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Keele University
University of Lincoln
Nottingham Trent University
University of Reading
City, University of London
University of Essex
University of Dundee
University of Greenwich
University of Hertfordshire
Liverpool Hope University
Kingston University
University of Westminster, London
Bournemouth University
Brunel University London
University of Bedfordshire
Staffordshire University
Middlesex University
Royal Holloway, University of Londo...
University of Northampton

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
You definitely have a chance, you will just need to work harder than a candidate from an Oxbridge/RG university to access opportunities to get recruited and to demonstrate that you are more than capable to work at the firm of your choice. My tips to get started-
  • Your grades need to be stellar- ensure that they at least meet the minimum requirement that the firms you're aiming at set for their candidates.

• Networking- attend as many webinars, networking events, open days etc. that you can and stay in touch with the people you connect with. This will help you fill the gap in connections to people working in SC/MC firms that you may face at your uni. Follow Instagram or LinkedIn creators who are current or future trainees to understand their perspective and gain their knowledge of the TC process.

• Your applications need to be top notch- Ensure you get your application reviewed by us at TCLA or your uni careers counsellor or someone you trust who works in commercial law. This is crucial because the language and terminology that firms expect to read in applications is generally not taught at or as engrained in non-London/non-RG/non-Oxbridge unis, which is why you need to make the effort to actively seek out the support you need to develop this style of writing and speaking.
Please keep us in the loop with how you get on. We're rooting for you and 100% believe that you can do this!

Reactions: Erin

goatenthusiast12

Dec 7, 2022
Thank you so much. Reading this gave me hope. Jessica mentioned my university in her list, so that was a breather. I know I'm at a disadvantage here but I wont let it demotivate me. Thank you Jessica and thank you AvniD for the advice!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.