Linkedin Etiquette

• Thread starter Deleted member 11573
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11573

Hi all,

I have secured a vacation scheme this summer that will be entirely virtual. So, I thought it might be a good idea to network on Linkedin before the scheme begins.

Is it acceptable to connect with trainees/ partners of prospective firms that I have not (virtually) met yet? I was thinking the 'personalise invite' function could be quite useful to introduce myself?

Many thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I have secured a vacation scheme this summer that will be entirely virtual. So, I thought it might be a good idea to network on Linkedin before the scheme begins.

Is it acceptable to connect with trainees/ partners of prospective firms that I have not (virtually) met yet? I was thinking the 'personalise invite' function could be quite useful to introduce myself?

Many thanks
You can do. Plenty of people do.

But ultimately you need a reason to connect with them really. If it’s the firm you are doing the vac scheme with, there is some logic, although big questions would be why you are choosing that person? I suspect there are 100s of lawyers within the firm, are you really going to connect with all of them?

D

Deleted member 11573

You can do. Plenty of people do.

But ultimately you need a reason to connect with them really. If it’s the firm you are doing the vac scheme with, there is some logic, although big questions would be why you are choosing that person? I suspect there are 100s of lawyers within the firm, are you really going to connect with all of them?
That's great. Thank you, Jessica! I was thinking I could connect with those who posted about work that I was interested in, with something along the lines of 'as an incoming vac schemer in the _____ department it would be excellent to connect and follow your insights in the ____ sector'.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That's great. Thank you, Jessica! I was thinking I could connect with those who posted about work that I was interested in, with something along the lines of 'as an incoming vac schemer in the _____ department it would be excellent to connect and follow your insights in the ____ sector'.
Sounds like a good approach. Don’t be offended if they don’t accept though! LinkedIn is a very personal thing that people use in various different ways. Many aren’t really looking to engage with people on it.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
@Max Power just to add to this as well and for anyone else looking to connect on LinkedIn, I would say genuinely try not to overthink it. I think that the more you worry about your message (I’ve been there myself so many times!!) the more there’s the risk of sounding a bit robotic and depersonalised. I agree with @Jacob Miller entirely about being professional and understanding the boundaries of familiarity, but I also think that you still want to be authentic and let the person see ‘you’ to some extent. There is a difference, I think, between being overly familiar and communicating professionally but in a friendly manner authentic to you. I think for me, being concise is key. Everyone appreciates politeness but don’t feel as though you need extended pleasantries etc, getting to the heart of what you’d like to say is key in my book!!

These are just my two cents from my own experience and perspective but @Jacob’s guide is a fab one!!

Reactions: Zoo and Daniel Boden
D

Deleted member 11573

Thank you for your advice, @Alice G ! I suppose that online it's equally important to let your personality come across because it's not as easy to be authentic as in person. It's fantastic to get multiple views on how to interact on the platform. With all of the advice, I now feel much more relaxed and that I can stop overthinking!

• 🤝
Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you for your advice, @Alice G ! I suppose that online it's equally important to let your personality come across because it's not as easy to be authentic as in person. It's fantastic to get multiple views on how to interact on the platform. With all of the advice, I now feel much more relaxed and that I can stop overthinking!
You're absolutely right - it is definitely a bit of a balancing exercise! I am so glad to hear this and very best of luck with the upcoming vac scheme too, well done!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.