Linklaters' critical reasoning test

cw2

Dec 28, 2021
Hi I would like to ask if anyone has experience of the critical reasoning test of Linklaters recently - I applied for an associate role and was told to finish a critical reasoning test in 72 hours once I confirm my availability. I have been searching on this forum and online in general, it seems to be the Watson Glaser but then I read something about the CAPP one - would be great if someone could enlighten me!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hey, for starters you could refer to https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/the-best-sjt-advice-on-the-forum.4350/ which is just a compilation of how to approach these tests in general.

For the CAPP specifically, I have just one piece of advice, be honest because there is no particular skill that they value. For example, if you get a question that asks you if you like working on innovative stuff or the routine stuff, naturally you will be tempted to show your fascination for innovative work (99% of people would) but that isn't always the correct answer and if everyone likes working on innovative deals then they'd run out of people to work on the routine matters which is equally important even though it might be less intellectually stimulating.

The CAPP test will make it look like it's a lucky draw but I think there is a real sophistication to the test which is impossible for us to know of. I am 100% convinced that firms like Linklaters will not make the process as arbitrary as we may feel it is.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi I would like to ask if anyone has experience of the critical reasoning test of Linklaters recently - I applied for an associate role and was told to finish a critical reasoning test in 72 hours once I confirm my availability. I have been searching on this forum and online in general, it seems to be the Watson Glaser but then I read something about the CAPP one - would be great if someone could enlighten me!
It is likely to be a separate assessment to the trainee route if you are applying for an associate role. Which location/office is this for?

cw2

Dec 28, 2021
Hey, for starters you could refer to https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/the-best-sjt-advice-on-the-forum.4350/ which is just a compilation of how to approach these tests in general.

For the CAPP specifically, I have just one piece of advice, be honest because there is no particular skill that they value. For example, if you get a question that asks you if you like working on innovative stuff or the routine stuff, naturally you will be tempted to show your fascination for innovative work (99% of people would) but that isn't always the correct answer and if everyone likes working on innovative deals then they'd run out of people to work on the routine matters which is equally important even though it might be less intellectually stimulating.

The CAPP test will make it look like it's a lucky draw but I think there is a real sophistication to the test which is impossible for us to know of. I am 100% convinced that firms like Linklaters will not make the process as arbitrary as we may feel it is.
Thanks for your response - however, by critical reasoning test, does it mean CAPP test, or Watson Glaser, or both could be possible?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes I am wondering if the trainee route is different to the associate role recruitment. It is the London office.
The recruitment will be very different - mainly because of the volumes of candidates. It is possible they are using the same form of assessment as the trainees, but I would expect it to be different for a number of different reasons.

I would ask your recruiter (whether via an agency or the in-house recruiter at Linklaters) for more information on the assessment.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.