Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
When was your Linklaters interview?

February 2018

What was it for?

Vacation Scheme

Please describe the interview process at Linklaters.

My day started with the ‘E-Tray Exercise’. We essentially had to read a book of documents regarding a proposed M&A and, after 20 minutes, had half an hour to answer a series of questions regarding what we had read in the form of an e-mail.

Then a competency interview and a partner interview.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Linklaters interview?

I found the E Tray Exercise quite time pressured as there’s so much you could write about so I think that it’s largely a question of writing well about some key points.

The competency interview was tough - they stuck really closely to my application form and had some very specific questions on what I’d done. They also really picked up on everything I said and would question me on it. They were very friendly but I wasn’t prepared for them to react to what I said in that way.

The Partner interview involved talking through the E-Tray Exercise and I was questioned on what I’d said. They were very friendly and guided me to the answer if I was stuck. Then, for the second half, it was more of a commercial interview: why Links, why commercial law etc as well as some questions relating to current affairs and the business news (nothing complicated!). Finally, I had the opportunity to ask questions so have a few prepared.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF_II

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your Linklaters interview?

January 2018

What was it for?

Vacation Scheme

Please describe the interview process at Linklaters.

The day began with an e-tray exercise, followed by back-to-back interviews with HR and then a partner + an associate.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Linklaters interview?

Try to prepare a bit of everything - each aspect of the assessment centre demands something a bit different from you. For the e-tray, it would be a good idea to think about how a deal is usually structured and to make sure you're able to work quickly under pressure. The HR interview is fairly straightforward - prepare competencies! For the most part, the partner interview involves explaining your answer to the e-tray exercise. They'll be looking for real-world examples to substantiate any claims you make, so read up on some past deals.

Reactions: PMF_II

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.