Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Linklaters Interview 2019

(One issue that I struck me at the AC was that a few candidates knew details of the case study exercise in advance. We were given materials to read, but GR wouldn't reveal the task until 30 minutes later. However, a few candidates in my group started typing their answers enthusiastically as soon as they had received the materials. This caught me and the other candidates by surprise, and we were left wondering if they had obtained an unfair advantage from their friends or elsewhere.

As the competition is getting fierce, I think it would be useful to warn our members of this problem where appropriate so they could be more prepared mentally when attending ACs.)

When was your Linklaters interview?

January 2019

What was it for?

Training Contract

Please describe the interview process at Linklaters.

My assessment day started with an HR interview. The interviewer asked me a lot of questions about my decision-making process (why I made certain choices and how I coped with changes). There were also a few competency-based interview questions, mainly about teamwork and organisational skills. At the end of the interview, we briefly touched on my motivations for commercial law and Linklaters.

The second part of the assessment day was the work simulation exercise, which consisted of an online multiple-choice test and a case study. The online multiple-choice test covered three areas: contract interpretation, Linklaters' values and work prioritisation. In the case study exercise, I was given a few documents to read and then asked to give my opinions on relevant legal and commercial issues.

The day concluded with a technical interview. My interviewers asked me to elaborate on my written responses in the case study exercise.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Linklaters interview?

For the HR interview, you may want to draw examples from different areas of your life (education, work experience, hobbies, extra-curricular activities, etc) to demonstrate that you are a well-rounded candidate.

For the online test, the best way to prepare is to learn about Linklaters values and have a think about what is expected of you as a junior lawyer. For the case study, it would be beneficial to have a basic understanding of how a deal is structured and the interests of each party in a transaction.

In the technical interview, I had the impression that my interviewers were looking for correct answers rather than learning about my thinking process. My advice would be to gain in-depth knowledge of a few practice areas so you can confidently hold a long conversation about them. When they say “technical”, they really mean it.

Thanks to @PMF_II for sharing.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.