Linklaters' Watson Glaser-Timed or Untimed?

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hello,

I was wondering if Linklaters' Watson Glaser is usually timed and if you pass this stage, is the next stage the Assessment Centre or further application questions?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hey, it's 100% untimed and don't worry, they will not factor in how long you took to complete the test. If you're applying for the Direct TC, the next step is the AC but if it's some vacation scheme, they will first ask you for 3 pieces of work ex and then send you the AC invite. So, technically, it's the AC next if you make it.

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hey, it's 100% untimed and don't worry, they will not factor in how long you took to complete the test. If you're applying for the Direct TC, the next step is the AC but if it's some vacation scheme, they will first ask you for 3 pieces of work ex and then send you the AC invite. So, technically, it's the AC next if you make it.
Thank you so much! Is Linklaters' Watson Glaser test more difficult in comparison to other firms?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Thank you so much! Is Linklaters' Watson Glaser test more difficult in comparison to other firms?
I have taken just 2 WGs to date. I got 28/40 in the Linklaters test and was in the 33rd percentile and I passed the WG for CC and was in the 62nd percentile. I think my performance was pretty much the same in both the tests but I found the LL WG relatively easy since it was untimed. The questions were pretty much of the same difficulty level tbh

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hey! A lot of firms, including Linklaters, use TalentLens (Pearson), for their tests and generally, the only difference between them is the number of questions and time limit rather than the difficulty.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Also, does anyone know if Linklaters takes into account both the CAPP Assessment and Watson Glaser Test, or is the Watson Glaser more weighted?
CAPP is definitely the more important assessment here but that shouldn't change anything really, you should always aim for the highest score in the WG and you just can't prepare for the CAPP.

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
CAPP is definitely the more important assessment here but that shouldn't change anything really, you should always aim for the highest score in the WG and you just can't prepare for the CAPP.
Thank you so much! Are there any particular traits from the agile mindset framework that you think are more important than others?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Thank you so much! Are there any particular traits from the agile mindset framework that you think are more important than others?
I had written a similar answer a couple of weeks back so I'll just paste it here.

My guess would be that, in a trainee cohort of the size that Linklaters have, they'd take a healthy mix of people with divergent working preferences. What I mean is, if they ask you to choose between working on familiar matters vs working on something new, one might be tempted to show that they like taking on unprecedented work but if everyone in the cohort likes challenging work, then they'd run out of people to complete the routine jobs. Therefore, I don't think you should worry if your weakness was working on familiar matters and not being a go-getter because even people who show that they like challenging work will have other weaknesses and they need all kinds of people in the cohort.

So, basically, I don't think we can figure out to hack the test. Just focus on being honest though.

Also, https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/the-best-sjt-advice-on-the-forum.4350/ is a compilation of the best SJT/CAPP advice. Just read this before you take the test.

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
I had written a similar answer a couple of weeks back so I'll just paste it here.

My guess would be that, in a trainee cohort of the size that Linklaters have, they'd take a healthy mix of people with divergent working preferences. What I mean is, if they ask you to choose between working on familiar matters vs working on something new, one might be tempted to show that they like taking on unprecedented work but if everyone in the cohort likes challenging work, then they'd run out of people to complete the routine jobs. Therefore, I don't think you should worry if your weakness was working on familiar matters and not being a go-getter because even people who show that they like challenging work will have other weaknesses and they need all kinds of people in the cohort.

So, basically, I don't think we can figure out to hack the test. Just focus on being honest though.

Also, https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/the-best-sjt-advice-on-the-forum.4350/ is a compilation of the best SJT/CAPP advice. Just read this before you take the test.
Sorry to ask another question! But once all the online tests are completed how long do Linklaters usually take to get back to you?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Sorry to ask another question! But once all the online tests are completed how long do Linklaters usually take to get back to you?
They are non-rolling and since they closed the deadlines on 10 Dec, I think we'd have to wait because they will first read all the applications and only then will they get back. I do remember Sophie Thomas from the grad rec team saying that they will have ACs in Jan and Feb and that they will space out the invites, so don't worry if you don't get invited to an AC in Jan, it's not over until it's a rejection.

Future_lawyer_somewhere

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 4, 2019
With Watson Glaser tests is the percentile looked at as a whole (e.g 76% percentile) or are the different question styles broken down as well?

For example if you performed strong overall and got 4 maximum incorrect, but those four came under “Deductions” so that was your weakest area?
Thinking of my Linklaters WG score - all came under deductions but the rest were high scoring.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
With Watson Glaser tests is the percentile looked at as a whole (e.g 76% percentile) or are the different question styles broken down as well?

For example if you performed strong overall and got 4 maximum incorrect, but those four came under “Deductions” so that was your weakest area?
Thinking of my Linklaters WG score - all came under deductions but the rest were high scoring.
The percentile will be looked at as a whole, but how that percentile could be calculated could be different if the firm weights different question styles differently.

Therefore with the example above, if the firm weighted deductions less than other questions, your percentile is likely to be higher while if it was weighted more heavily your percentile is likely to be lower.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.