Linklaters

Ali2020

Esteemed Member
Dec 11, 2019
Hi All!

I'm trying to apply for the Linklaters TC, but their website doesn't seem to have the link to enter the application form/test.

Please can someone let me know if there is a reason for this?

Penelope

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    If we applied for a VS this year and were unsuccessful, can we apply for a TC during the summer window? The website says yes but Graduate Recruitment said otherwise in an email.

I have asked for clarification from GR but thought I would ask here in case anyone has any experience with this

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    If we applied for a VS this year and were unsuccessful, can we apply for a TC during the summer window? The website says yes but Graduate Recruitment said otherwise in an email.

I have asked for clarification from GR but thought I would ask here in case anyone has any experience with this
    I don't have experience but reading on their website which says the following:

Please only apply for either a vacation scheme or a training contract at any one time. You may apply for a training contract after making an unsuccessful application for a vacation scheme but please do spend time addressing any feedback you receive. You can only take the online assessment once each academic year. You are able to reapply for a vacancy in the same academic year, but you will not be able to retake the assessment in the same window.

I think it's a little difficult to decipher from this but what I understand is that they are not discouraging you from a TC app after an unsuccessful VS app, but they want you to spend time addressing any feedback. Since you cannot retake the assessment in the same window, you cannot feasibly apply for the TC in the same academic year. I'm pretty sure that's what it means.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Penelope and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I don't have experience but reading on their website which says the following:

Please only apply for either a vacation scheme or a training contract at any one time. You may apply for a training contract after making an unsuccessful application for a vacation scheme but please do spend time addressing any feedback you receive. You can only take the online assessment once each academic year. You are able to reapply for a vacancy in the same academic year, but you will not be able to retake the assessment in the same window.

I think it's a little difficult to decipher from this but what I understand is that they are not discouraging you from a TC app after an unsuccessful VS app, but they want you to spend time addressing any feedback. Since you cannot retake the assessment in the same window, you cannot feasibly apply for the TC in the same academic year. I'm pretty sure that's what it means.

I would agree with what you say there @Helena - I should think that if you are not successful for a VS in one cycle you will not be able to reapply in the same one for a TC owing to the one time only assessment testing opportunity. However, you should be able to reapply once the new cycle starts in September - i hope GR are able to shed a bit more light on this though and offer some further clarification

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    I would agree with what you say there @Helena - I should think that if you are not successful for a VS in one cycle you will not be able to reapply in the same one for a TC owing to the one time only assessment testing opportunity. However, you should be able to reapply once the new cycle starts in September - i hope GR are able to shed a bit more light on this though and offer some further clarification

That’s how I read it too, except if you were successful in the online assessment and failed at a later stage (interview) and have acted on the feedback received.

Anyone else struggling to input their module grades? I can’t get their form to find any of my modules to add and it doesn’t let you manually add them and type. At the moment mine are in the box that follows, which asks for “extra information re: modules”.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How I read the above.

don’t bother reapplying if you didn’t pass the online assessment the first time in this cycle. You can reapply this cycle if you passed the assessment and have significant developments on the areas you needed to strengthen in your previous application.

NourJ

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 1, 2020
    Guys could you explain how the new Linklaters app works?

Its basically a SJ test and personality questions (e.g. if you'd rather miss a deadline and do it perfectly vs. have some mistakes but meet the deadline). You have different modules (I think 7 in total, I'm not too sure) and each module is based on a situation you would be facing if you were a trainee and you have to rank what you would do in order of preference (they give you a set of possible actions you can take and you have to rank them). Then there's a WG test.

For the VS we only had to put in our work experience after having gotten an AC invite (I'm not too sure if it's the same for TCs) but we were limited to only 3 work experiences (or 4 I don't remember too well).

The SJ assessment is not time-pressured so you can do it at your pace but the WG is.

• 🤝
    Reactions: S87, Zoo and Alice G

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Its basically a SJ test and personality questions (e.g. if you'd rather miss a deadline and do it perfectly vs. have some mistakes but meet the deadline). You have different modules (I think 7 in total, I'm not too sure) and each module is based on a situation you would be facing if you were a trainee and you have to rank what you would do in order of preference (they give you a set of possible actions you can take and you have to rank them). Then there's a WG test.

For the VS we only had to put in our work experience after having gotten an AC invite (I'm not too sure if it's the same for TCs) but we were limited to only 3 work experiences (or 4 I don't remember too well).

The SJ assessment is not time-pressured so you can do it at your pace but the WG is.
    Thank you so much!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: NourJ

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

My advice with this test is to take your time and really consider what you would do for the best. I say to take your time as I actually found it truly immersive and weirdly I felt it really simulated real life and gave the impression of being a trainee. I think it’s actually a really good way to give candidates an insight into what life as a lawyer is so if you’ve never done a vacation scheme or work experience I think this test can be incredibly beneficial in this way.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97 and Zoo

edj

Feb 24, 2020

Hey did GR officially confirm it's a no-no? :)

NourJ

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 1, 2020
    One last piece of advice I would have for people applying to Linklaters. It might sound very basic but when you're answering/ranking the different actions as part of the SJ test bear in mind their Agile mindset framework. They have a pretty detailed account of what each category entails on their website and it can really help guide your answers by putting yourself in the shoes of an employee at LL. It really is like a matchmaking exercise to see if you align with their culture (and if they align with yours).

And in the event that you are unsuccessful, you can just take it as LL was just not a match. There is no right or wrong answer, it's just different ways of doing things. I also wouldn't worry too much about the WG, I know a lot of people who got a score of 50% who got an AC invite and people with 85% who didn't but ofc do your best and practice a lot! There are different resources online, the WG of CC is very similar and you can try the practice test on their website too.

Reactions: NickMcK

MarathonNotaSprint

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    One last piece of advice I would have for people applying to Linklaters. It might sound very basic but when you're answering/ranking the different actions as part of the SJ test bear in mind their Agile mindset framework. They have a pretty detailed account of what each category entails on their website and it can really help guide your answers by putting yourself in the shoes of an employee at LL. It really is like a matchmaking exercise to see if you align with their culture (and if they align with yours).

And in the event that you are unsuccessful, you can just take it as LL was just not a match. There is no right or wrong answer, it's just different ways of doing things. I also wouldn't worry too much about the WG, I know a lot of people who got a score of 50% who got an AC invite and people with 85% who didn't but ofc do your best and practice a lot! There are different resources online, the WG of CC is very similar and you can try the practice test on their website too.

Amazing! Thank you for sharing!

• 🤝
    Reactions: NourJ

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.