Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Hi,

I am currently going into my second year at the University of Birmingham of the LLB for Graduates program (2 years instead of 3 years to get a law degree), as I already have an undergraduate degree. I'm also an international student from Canada looking to start my career as a solicitor in the UK.

I have previously applied to vacation schemes in 2018, and with no luck did not even get to the interview stage. After many meetings with Career advisors and peers, I managed to secure a work placement scheme through UOB with Pinsent Masons in June 2019.

As I'm a penultimate student, I am currently applying for Training Contracts for 2021 positions. I was wondering if I should even bother applying for Vacation schemes for 2020. I've received advice to apply straight away to the TC but I want to be proactive and keep my options open. Additionally, I will complete the LPC in 2020-2021 and hoping I can secure a TC for sponsorship.

Any tips/suggestions for me would be highly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Yes, I'd definitely still apply to vacation schemes. For some firms, that's going to be your only way in and it will also boost your CV for future training contract applications.

I don't know what your grades/the rest of your experiences are like, but I suggest re-evaluating your applications to see if there are any areas that could be improved for your future applications. You can use our guide to help you.

Reactions: Asmee DC and Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

I am currently going into my second year at the University of Birmingham of the LLB for Graduates program (2 years instead of 3 years to get a law degree), as I already have an undergraduate degree. I'm also an international student from Canada looking to start my career as a solicitor in the UK.

I have previously applied to vacation schemes in 2018, and with no luck did not even get to the interview stage. After many meetings with Career advisors and peers, I managed to secure a work placement scheme through UOB with Pinsent Masons in June 2019.

As I'm a penultimate student, I am currently applying for Training Contracts for 2021 positions. I was wondering if I should even bother applying for Vacation schemes for 2020. I've received advice to apply straight away to the TC but I want to be proactive and keep my options open. Additionally, I will complete the LPC in 2020-2021 and hoping I can secure a TC for sponsorship.

Any tips/suggestions for me would be highly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Do both.

With some firms it will make sense to apply directly to a TC, others it will make sense to apply to a winter/spring vac scheme.

Diversify your approach is typically a good approach to take. It’s usually only be if you aren’t available for internships, that you should avoid them.

Reactions: Asmee DC

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019
    Yes, I'd definitely still apply to vacation schemes. For some firms, that's going to be your only way in and it will also boost your CV for future training contract applications.

I don't know what your grades/the rest of your experiences are like, but I suggest re-evaluating your applications to see if there are any areas that could be improved for your future applications. You can use our guide to help you.

Thank you so much for the reply Jaysen!

I obtained an equivalent 2:1 in my undergraduate degree from Canada and obtained a 2:1 after my first year of the LLB for Graduates program. In terms of work experience, I gained experience at a UK law firm in June, joined the Pro Bono group for next year, and am going to assist another law firm through a paralegal program.

If I apply to vacation schemes, will I be only eligible for the 2022 TC? I will take your advice and look into applying to vacation schemes nonetheless.

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you so much for the reply Jaysen!

I obtained an equivalent 2:1 in my undergraduate degree from Canada and obtained a 2:1 after my first year of the LLB for Graduates program. In terms of work experience, I gained experience at a UK law firm in June, joined the Pro Bono group for next year, and am going to assist another law firm through a paralegal program.

If I apply to vacation schemes, will I be only eligible for the 2022 TC? I will take your advice and look into applying to vacation schemes nonetheless.

Thank you!

It depends what firm you are looking at. Many will only be recruiting for their 2022 intakes, having already filled their 2021 from this cycle just gone. Some larger firms run waiting lists for earlier intakes, but can never guarantee they will have opportunities to start earlier. Some do advertise/recruit for earlier intakes if they have to top up recruitment, but I suspect with the combination of the SQE and Brexit, top up recruitment is less likely over the coming months.[/QUOTE]

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.