LLM 2020/2021 & Coronavirus considerations

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi everyone, hope you are all well and safe at home x

I am due to start my LLM at UCL in September in London and I was wondering whether anyone was in the same situation. Given the current coronavirus restrictions and the fact that quite a few of these may continue into the next academic year, I was wondering whether anyone is reconsidering their LLM or thinking about deferring their admission till the next academic year.

While I want to do my LLM to deepen my knowledge of certain areas of law, I also wanted to do it to immerse in the community, work at the law clinic and get involved in community projects in London. This now seems that may not be feasible next year, and given the cost of the LLM, I am thinking whether my money would be better spent if I did my LLM the year after, hoping that the situation will improve then.

I don't have to pay my deposit until June, but was thinking that if I deferred the LLM I would do LPC next year so I would need to apply.

I would very much appreciate people's thoughts on this, thanks a lot!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi everyone, hope you are all well and safe at home x

I am due to start my LLM at UCL in September in London and I was wondering whether anyone was in the same situation. Given the current coronavirus restrictions and the fact that quite a few of these may continue into the next academic year, I was wondering whether anyone is reconsidering their LLM or thinking about deferring their admission till the next academic year.

While I want to do my LLM to deepen my knowledge of certain areas of law, I also wanted to do it to immerse in the community, work at the law clinic and get involved in community projects in London. This now seems that may not be feasible next year, and given the cost of the LLM, I am thinking whether my money would be better spent if I did my LLM the year after, hoping that the situation will improve then.

I don't have to pay my deposit until June, but was thinking that if I deferred the LLM I would do LPC next year so I would need to apply.

I would very much appreciate people's thoughts on this, thanks a lot!
    Hi Karin,

Apologies for what may be a silly question, but in your final para there, do you mean you would opt perhaps for the LPC next year as opposed to the LLM itself?

Erica

Standard Member
    Apr 20, 2020
    Hey! I'm in a similar position actually. If it helps though, I've heard that many providers accept LPC applications until quite late, even a few weeks before the course starts. That might take some of the pressure off! If you ended up doing the LPC next year as well, there's always the online option which I think is about £3000 cheaper than the London one.

Reactions: Alice G

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hey! I'm in a similar position actually. If it helps though, I've heard that many providers accept LPC applications until quite late, even a few weeks before the course starts. That might take some of the pressure off! If you ended up doing the LPC next year as well, there's always the online option which I think is about £3000 cheaper than the London one.
    That's really helpful - thank you! I will probably wait until July when I need to pay my LLM deposit & may know a bit more about my TC chances this year. Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That's really helpful - thank you! I will probably wait until July when I need to pay my LLM deposit & may know a bit more about my TC chances this year. Thank you!

If you are still unsure in July, feel free to ask the university for an extension on the time for you to consider. All things considered, I’d expect many universities to be a little more flexible this year, although traditionally whenever we go into recession they tend to sell masters courses much more. But even then, there’s no harm in asking for an extension to pay the deposit by - all they can say is no.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    If you are still unsure in July, feel free to ask the university for an extension on the time for you to consider. All things considered, I’d expect many universities to be a little more flexible this year, although traditionally whenever we go into recession they tend to sell masters courses much more. But even then, there’s no harm in asking for an extension to pay the deposit by - all they can say is no.
    That's true, thank you for the advice. I think they will be quite flexible given the circumstances and they were really nice about my deferral last year, so hopefully they ll understand why I need a bit more time! Thanks :)

NourJ

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 1, 2020

I couldn't help but be curious. Would it be possible for you to do an LLM even if you got a TC this summer? Do firms accommodate for that? How would it work in practice? Thanks!

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    I couldn't help but be curious. Would it be possible for you to do an LLM even if you got a TC this summer? Do firms accommodate for that? How would it work in practice? Thanks!
    You do not start until 2 years later so I don't see why not :) But I have never asked so I do not know for sure!

NourJ

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 1, 2020
    You do not start until 2 years later so I don't see why not :) But I have never asked so I do not know for sure!

Oh I didn't know that! Sorry if my question was stupid I don't study in the UK so I'm not too familiar with how TCs worked I thought that you start a year later if you're a law student and 2 years later if you're non-law.

Insecable

Star Member
    Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 16
    Jan 13, 2019
    Oh I didn't know that! Sorry if my question was stupid I don't study in the UK so I'm not too familiar with how TCs worked I thought that you start a year later if you're a law student and 2 years later if you're non-law.

Law firms recruit two years in advance usually, unless there happens to be a space in an earlier intake. What you are thinking of is the amount of extra time required after graduating. A law graduate has to do the LPC (1 year) and non-law students have to do both the GDL and LPC (2 years each) after graduating uni.

The implication of this for the application process is that law firms tend to target law students from their second year onwards and non-law students from final year onwards - exceptions apply though.

Reactions: NourJ

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Law firms recruit two years in advance usually, unless there happens to be a space in an earlier intake. What you are thinking of is the amount of extra time required after graduating. A law graduate has to do the LPC (1 year) and non-law students have to do both the GDL and LPC (2 years each) after graduating uni.

The implication of this for the application process is that law firms tend to target law students from their second year onwards and non-law students from final year onwards - exceptions apply though.
    Yeah I know and having done law degree, I am only missing one year of LPC. I want to do my LLM, so I want to do in the one year that I have "free" in case I got TC (haha but that is very hopeful thinking).

Insecable

Star Member
    Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 16
    Jan 13, 2019
    Yeah I know and having done law degree, I am only missing one year of LPC. I want to do my LLM, so I want to do in the one year that I have "free" in case I got TC (haha but that is very hopeful thinking).
    Good luck! If you need any advice, you (and anyone else) are welcome to drop me a message. I don't post here often but I am always willing to help if and where I can.

This forum already has plenty of great resources though and it definitely helped me in the process.

NourJ

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 1, 2020

Thank you so much for clarifying!! it makes a lot more sense now!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.