Looking for past cover letters or online forms

Nky_lawstudent

Standard Member
Aug 19, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have been reading different threads here about tailoring your applications to answer questions such as 'why a career as a commercial lawyer' or 'why this firm', and I have seen more than a handful of different approaches to the questions and how not to answer them. However I was wondering is anyone here on this forum who wouldn't mind sharing their past cover letters or their online forms. I understand that everyone comes from a diff background, so everyone's story is going to be different, but I would want to know just how to better picture different experiences, personal qualities to form your story.

I would really appreciate if anyone could share their cover letter :)

Reactions: Varun S

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Here are two cover letters. Jones Day in my first cycle, Ashurst in my second. If I were reviewing these applications now, I'd be very critical, but they should give you some idea of how to structure and tailor an application.

Ashurst.png Ashurst 2.png Jones Day.png

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    @Jaysen thanks for sharing these - bit scary how impressive they are but also very helpful!

I notice how you have used an important commercial event (the recession) to help demonstrate why x firm interests/stands out to you which is a really interesting way to answer these questions. Could you suggest any other topics which could be used in a similar way or do you think this would still be relevant enough? Would Brexit be too obvious?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen thanks for sharing these - bit scary how impressive they are but also very helpful!

I notice how you have used an important commercial event (the recession) to help demonstrate why x firm interests/stands out to you which is a really interesting way to answer these questions. Could you suggest any other topics which could be used in a similar way or do you think this would still be relevant enough? Would Brexit be too obvious?

I think it would be a bit of a stretch to mention the recession now. Brexit could work, although the impact on particular law firms is less obvious, so it depends on how you plan to use it.

You could look to events taking place in the legal market. A big one, for example, is mergers between law firms -- particularly, transatlantic mergers. Elite US firms establishing in London is another one.

I would be wary of trying to force it in the manner I did though. Otherwise, answers can look artificial. The global financial crisis was such a pervasive issue, which made it easy to fit in. There are also so many other (and better) ways to answer: "Why this firm?"

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    No problem. Let me know if you get invited to the interview. I did the spring vacation scheme, so I can share some thoughts!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Fadin

Ben Hewett

Standard Member
    Sep 8, 2018
    No problem. Let me know if you get invited to the interview. I did the spring vacation scheme, so I can share some thoughts!

Hello Jaysen.

Tagging onto this somewhat relevant post, I would like to ask a question about my cover letter. One is generally advised to use their second paragraph to explain why the firm itself appeals to the applicant, yet another question in the application form specifically asks "What separates this firms from the other firms you have applied to?" Would I be daft in using this question solely to answer the question, and not going into detail in my cover letter to explain why the firm appeals to me?

Regards.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello Jaysen.

Tagging onto this somewhat relevant post, I would like to ask a question about my cover letter. One is generally advised to use their second paragraph to explain why the firm itself appeals to the applicant, yet another question in the application form specifically asks "What separates this firms from the other firms you have applied to?" Would I be daft in using this question solely to answer the question, and not going into detail in my cover letter to explain why the firm appeals to me?

Regards.

Hi Ben

You would normally be correct. The cover letter should be used for information you haven't already provided in your application form. So if the question in the application form was: "Why are you applying to this firm?", you would be justified leaving this out in your cover letter.

However, in your case the application form is different. The question is asking you what makes the firm different to other firms. And, while this has some crossover with: "Why are you applying to this firm", it is not the same. I would therefore suggest you still include this in your application form.

Let me know if you need any further help.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Ben Hewett

yanerlim

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Here are two cover letters. Jones Day in my first cycle, Ashurst in my second. If I were reviewing these applications now, I'd be very critical, but they should give you some idea of how to structure and tailor an application.

View attachment 111 View attachment 113 View attachment 114

This is very helpful, thank you Jaysen! I have a few questions regarding cover letters. Do firms (mid sized or magic circle etc) prefer short cover letters (less than a page) or long ones like what you have written? I am asking this because Slaughter and May have requested for a short cover letter and most cover letters are traditionally short. If so, how do you go about writing a short cover letter and what should it entail?

• 🏆
    Reactions: Mohammed and Eric

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    This is very helpful, thank you Jaysen! I have a few questions regarding cover letters. Do firms (mid sized or magic circle etc) prefer short cover letters (less than a page) or long ones like what you have written? I am asking this because Slaughter and May have requested for a short cover letter and most cover letters are traditionally short. If so, how do you go about writing a short cover letter and what should it entail?

Very much depends on the firm.

Slaughters is a bit of an anomaly when it comes to cover letters. They specify a short cover letter, but many applicants I know adopt the traditional cover letter style.

After some digging, I found @Sandrou's advice on the Slaughter and May cover letter: https://thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/vs-conversion-rates.40/#post-369 (halfway down). The user interviewed at Slaughter and May for a training contract.

Reactions: yanerlim

Kazam

Star Member
    Early Bird
    Aug 13, 2018

View attachment 111 View attachment 113 View attachment 114

Hey Jaysen,

Out of interest were those successful applications (so you interviewed at those firms) or just practice ones?

yanerlim

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Very much depends on the firm.

Slaughters is a bit of an anomaly when it comes to cover letters. They specify a short cover letter, but many applicants I know adopt the traditional cover letter style.

After some digging, I found @Sandrou's advice on the Slaughter and May cover letter: https://thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/vs-conversion-rates.40/#post-369 (halfway down). The user interviewed at Slaughter and May for a training contract.
    Thank you so much for this! I definitely struggled with the SnM cover letter because I was constrained by the number of words I could express on it. So thank you!

Reactions: Jaysen

Mohanjith

Jul 28, 2018
    I recently had a chat with a Slaughter and May trainee who mentioned that her CV was roughly two pages and a one-page cover letter.

She mentioned that it was highlighted on the fact sheet given to prepare for networking events that a cover letter must be a maximum of one-page.
    However, there had been people with shorter cover letters (she did not specify the length) who were successful.

So I guess sticking to a one-page max would be best or even shorter, as long as you are clear and concise in communicating your point.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: yanerlim, Coralin96 and Jaysen

Coralin96

Valued Member
    Early Bird
    Feb 28, 2018
    I recently had a chat with a Slaughter and May trainee who mentioned that her CV was roughly two pages and a one-page cover letter.

She mentioned that it was highlighted on the fact sheet given to prepare for networking events that a cover letter must be a maximum of one-page.
    However, there had been people with shorter cover letters (she did not specify the length) who were successful.

So I guess sticking to a one-page max would be best or even shorter, as long as you are clear and concise in communicating your point.

Very helpful, thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.