Looking for some guidance for a Browne Jacobson app questions

ap28

Aug 12, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am currently applying for a VS with Browne Jacobson and I am feeling very stuck when it comes to one of the questions.

'Our National Powerhouse strategy is made up using three separate pillars: 1) Being at the forefront of societies biggest issues, 2) Our personality, approach & values and 3) Making Connections. The third pillar, Making Connections, will see our firm encourage all employees to build an active network of contacts. Internally that means working more closely and making wider referrals to colleagues, but externally it means helping make connections between clients (for example, we introduced one client, a PPE equipment provider, with a healthcare client desperately in need of PPE supplies) or making connections within the communities we operate in. Please give an example of a time where you have used your own network to make an introduction between two people or businesses that led to positive action (that would not have happened without you intervening)? (max 250 words)'

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this? I have never encountered a similar question before. Any help will be much appreciated.

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am currently applying for a VS with Browne Jacobson and I am feeling very stuck when it comes to one of the questions.

'Our National Powerhouse strategy is made up using three separate pillars: 1) Being at the forefront of societies biggest issues, 2) Our personality, approach & values and 3) Making Connections. The third pillar, Making Connections, will see our firm encourage all employees to build an active network of contacts. Internally that means working more closely and making wider referrals to colleagues, but externally it means helping make connections between clients (for example, we introduced one client, a PPE equipment provider, with a healthcare client desperately in need of PPE supplies) or making connections within the communities we operate in. Please give an example of a time where you have used your own network to make an introduction between two people or businesses that led to positive action (that would not have happened without you intervening)? (max 250 words)'

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this? I have never encountered a similar question before. Any help will be much appreciated.
Hi @ap28,

I have not come across this question either actually. I like the way that the firm gives an example that they have leveraged their network before you asking to do the same.

The first thing that I would do is to consider the CAR (Context, Action, Result) and STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) structures. They both do very similar things and it is up to you which you go with!

The way I would approach this question would be, broadly:

Context:

Introduce Party A and outline their need.

Think: how did you know Party A? What was your relationship with them? What did Party A lack that you thought could be supplied by another member of your network (Party B)?

2. Introduce Party B and outline how they can meet Party A's need.

Think: Why are they a member of your network? What makes them suitable for meeting Party A's need?

Action:

3. Describe the introduction.

Think: How did you propose introducing Party A and Party B? How did you go about the introduction itself? Did you have any hesitation about making the introduction? What were your primary considerations?

Result:

The positive action.

Think: What was the positive consequence of the introduction? How quickly was this realised? Were there any complications? How involved were you past the initial introduction?

5. Reflections.

Was Party A's need fully met? Did the introduction have any impact (positive or negative) on your relationship with Party A or B? Would you do it again? What would you do differently if you were to do it again?

The above is of course bare bones and incomplete. It is difficult to answer this in the abstract and the questions are also only designed to get you thinking about the sorts of thing you could discuss under each section. The structure is also flexible so definitely feel free to move things around!

I would be interested to know what your thoughts were so far and whether you had already made any progress? What approach were you thinking of taking?

Hope that helps 🏆

• 🏆
Reactions: Jaysen and ap28

ap28

Aug 12, 2021
Hi @ap28,

I have not come across this question either actually. I like the way that the firm gives an example that they have leveraged their network before you asking to do the same.

The first thing that I would do is to consider the CAR (Context, Action, Result) and STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) structures. They both do very similar things and it is up to you which you go with!

The way I would approach this question would be, broadly:

Context:

Introduce Party A and outline their need.

Think: how did you know Party A? What was your relationship with them? What did Party A lack that you thought could be supplied by another member of your network (Party B)?

2. Introduce Party B and outline how they can meet Party A's need.

Think: Why are they a member of your network? What makes them suitable for meeting Party A's need?

Action:

3. Describe the introduction.

Think: How did you propose introducing Party A and Party B? How did you go about the introduction itself? Did you have any hesitation about making the introduction? What were your primary considerations?

Result:

The positive action.

Think: What was the positive consequence of the introduction? How quickly was this realised? Were there any complications? How involved were you past the initial introduction?

5. Reflections.

Was Party A's need fully met? Did the introduction have any impact (positive or negative) on your relationship with Party A or B? Would you do it again? What would you do differently if you were to do it again?

The above is of course bare bones and incomplete. It is difficult to answer this in the abstract and the questions are also only designed to get you thinking about the sorts of thing you could discuss under each section. The structure is also flexible so definitely feel free to move things around!

I would be interested to know what your thoughts were so far and whether you had already made any progress? What approach were you thinking of taking?

Hope that helps 🏆
This is extremely helpful, thank you!

I made some progress so far following the STAR structure, but now that I have seen your structure I realise that my answer lacks reflection. I accidentally was too focused on a descriptive approach, so the last point you have made was very insightful.

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.