LPC interview exam fail - consequences?

N560

Dec 14, 2021
Hi guys,

I recently sat my interviewing assessment for the LPC but I performed horrendously, and I think there is a very high chance that I have failed.

The terms of my training contract are that LPC exams must be passed at first attempt. My TC is with an American firm with a small intake (10 trainees per year).

If I have failed this assessment, how likely to you think it is that I will lose my TC?

(Please bare in mind that the interviewing exam is not part of the core modules, meaning I can still get a commendation/distinction overall. However, regardless, my TC says that 'all' LPC exams must be passed fist time. Also, I passed my mock assessment - would this be taken into account?)

Any responses would be really appreciated because I'm feeling very stressed out.
@Jessica Booker

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don't want to stress you out, but ultimately the terms in the contract are there for a reason. If they weren't to be utilised, they wouldn't be in there.

What I would say is I have lost count of how many people wrongly assume that they have failed these assessments though. You are more than likely assuming the worst.

For me, the first step is really to speak to an academic at the university to get their thoughts on whether you could have failed. If based on a reasonable and balanced reflection from you on what you did in the assessment, they are concerned you have failed, it then might be worthwhile speaking to your law firm (depending on how long you have to wait for the results).

As far as I am aware, mock assessments won't be considered though.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, thanks a lot for your response.

I receive my results in March next year and I don't think I'm allowed to speak to tutors about the assessment. I'm really not sure what to do?
@Jessica Booker
I don't see why you can't speak to someone at the university about the assessment now it is complete. I think you should explain that the fear of failing is causing high levels of anxiety and although you understand you won't get the results until March, you are keen to get a balanced view on whether there is a significant chance you have failed so you can speak with your firm about this. There is absolutely no harm in asking your institution as to whether you can have a conversation about it, rather than just assuming you can't.

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell and Alison C

N560

Dec 14, 2021
I don't see why you can't speak to someone at the university about the assessment now it is complete. I think you should explain that the fear of failing is causing high levels of anxiety and although you understand you won't get the results until March, you are keen to get a balanced view on whether there is a significant chance you have failed so you can speak with your firm about this. There is absolutely no harm in asking your institution as to whether you can have a conversation about it, rather than just assuming you can't.
That is true, I will speak to someone and try this. Thank you, I will let you know how it goes.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys,

I recently sat my interviewing assessment for the LPC but I performed horrendously, and I think there is a very high chance that I have failed.

The terms of my training contract are that LPC exams must be passed at first attempt. My TC is with an American firm with a small intake (10 trainees per year).

If I have failed this assessment, how likely to you think it is that I will lose my TC?

(Please bare in mind that the interviewing exam is not part of the core modules, meaning I can still get a commendation/distinction overall. However, regardless, my TC says that 'all' LPC exams must be passed fist time. Also, I passed my mock assessment - would this be taken into account?)

Any responses would be really appreciated because I'm feeling very stressed out.
@Jessica Booker
I'm sorry you're going through this. I agree with Jessica- definitely speak with someone about this. If you're at ULaw, I'd highly recommend speaking to your Personal Tutor/Academic Advisor or your Programme Lead and explaining your concerns to them exactly as Jessica has advised you to do. Please do keep us updated- I really hope everything works out in your favour🤞

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi guys,

@Jessica Booker
    Hi - I've read and agree with the responses above (it sounds really unpleasant) but also want to point out that this is not an issue until it's an issue. The internal struggles and your approach to the rest of the course can be managed going forward. The exam will only get in the way of your life in the longer term if you don't manage what you can. The worst-case scenario at the moment is that you fail the exam and have to deal with that - in March. But if you let it knock you back then that could have far wider implications. It's always stressful when you feel you didn't perform as you'd hoped/expected. Just be as calm and focused as you can - you clearly have a bright future and in the end, if this is a setback then let it be just that, rather than anything it isn't just yet.

It's your tutor's role to listen and to be in a position to give you guidance as and when needed. And there is no harm in keeping your CV polished and your LinkedIn on point just to remind yourself of all your achievements so far. The bigger picture is really important here. Here's to a more pleasant spring term for you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.