lpc mocks (bpp)

m90

Future Trainee
Jul 23, 2021
hi all, I just wanted some advice re BPP LPC mocks. I've heard that they always tend to be significantly harder than the actual exams in January. Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to prep best for these and also why people feel they're harder? Thank you

@AvniD I wondered if you also had any advice as I always find your insights insightful! thanks

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
hi all, I just wanted some advice re BPP LPC mocks. I've heard that they always tend to be significantly harder than the actual exams in January. Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to prep best for these and also why people feel they're harder? Thank you

@AvniD I wondered if you also had any advice as I always find your insights insightful! thanks
Hi @m90 thanks for your question! I have to say, with over 3 years having passed since I took my LPC exams, I'm struggling to remember the level of difficulty for the mock exams vs the actual exams 😅 Plus, I studied at UoL so I'm unsure if I'm best placed to speak for those at BPP. Mocks are maybe harder to score in because you're possibly under prepared for them in comparison to actual exams or maybe the university sets harder questions to get you used to the correct thought process for the actual exams. My best advice to you would be to prep for mocks as you would an actual exam. So go over your tutorial notes alongside any legacy notes you're using and your textbook.

Reactions: m90

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
My twins did the LPC BPP mocks a year ago. I just cannot remember if they were harder than the real exams in January. I believe they both wished they had had a bit more time, but they did pass. The results were supposed to be out on 10 December, but in the end were issued a bit late in December. Hopefully someone who has a better idea will come along to give a better answer.
One reason some people might feel they are harder is they have only just started the LPC whereas by January more work has been done and people are more used to the style of the sessions.

On how to prep I think it just depends on the individual. If it remains open book this year and if you are doing them electronically then have a big table, spread everything out beforehand, print what you needed printing (you cannot print in the exams) and beforehand just keep looking at the materials for each SGS.

H.N.

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 22
Jul 28, 2020
Mocks are tough primarily because of the timing (civil lit and PLP mainly) and allegedly harsher marking. I wouldn’t overthink them and just use them as an opportunity to figure out exam technique and how you’ll navigate your materials. A good chunk of my cohort, including myself, failed at least 1 mock but it doesn’t matter so long as you understand what would need to change for the real thing.

m90

Future Trainee
Jul 23, 2021
Mocks are tough primarily because of the timing (civil lit and PLP mainly) and allegedly harsher marking. I wouldn’t overthink them and just use them as an opportunity to figure out exam technique and how you’ll navigate your materials. A good chunk of my cohort, including myself, failed at least 1 mock but it doesn’t matter so long as you understand what would need to change for the real thing.
Oh this is interesting to know, thank you! Was the content/style of Qs harder than what they were in the real thing?

m90

Future Trainee
Jul 23, 2021
Hi @m90 thanks for your question! I have to say, with over 3 years having passed since I took my LPC exams, I'm struggling to remember the level of difficulty for the mock exams vs the actual exams 😅 Plus, I studied at UoL so I'm unsure if I'm best placed to speak for those at BPP. Mocks are maybe harder to score in because you're possibly under prepared for them in comparison to actual exams or maybe the university sets harder questions to get you used to the correct thought process for the actual exams. My best advice to you would be to prep for mocks as you would an actual exam. So go over your tutorial notes alongside any legacy notes you're using and your textbook.
My twins did the LPC BPP mocks a year ago. I just cannot remember if they were harder than the real exams in January. I believe they both wished they had had a bit more time, but they did pass. The results were supposed to be out on 10 December, but in the end were issued a bit late in December. Hopefully someone who has a better idea will come along to give a better answer.
One reason some people might feel they are harder is they have only just started the LPC whereas by January more work has been done and people are more used to the style of the sessions.

On how to prep I think it just depends on the individual. If it remains open book this year and if you are doing them electronically then have a big table, spread everything out beforehand, print what you needed printing (you cannot print in the exams) and beforehand just keep looking at the materials for each SGS.
thank you both for your insights! I really appreciate it

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022

I never prepared for mine as they are fairly straightforward. You are just very short on time so type quickly!

H.N.

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 22
    Jul 28, 2020
    Oh this is interesting to know, thank you! Was the content/style of Qs harder than what they were in the real thing?
    No the questions were the same type as what you’d get in the exam but because you’re doing mocks having only done part of the course, they have to give you questions on what you’ve studied and sometimes there’s a mismatch - what you may answer as a long-form in the mock you may later come to learn is something that is only examined as MCQ.
    Don’t stress about them and do them for the experience because you’ll learn that every minute matters as you need a lot of content to hit the marks.

m90

Future Trainee
    Jul 23, 2021
    No the questions were the same type as what you’d get in the exam but because you’re doing mocks having only done part of the course, they have to give you questions on what you’ve studied and sometimes there’s a mismatch - what you may answer as a long-form in the mock you may later come to learn is something that is only examined as MCQ.
    Don’t stress about them and do them for the experience because you’ll learn that every minute matters as you need a lot of content to hit the marks.
    thank you so much for the insight
    do you have any advice on how to prep for them?

H.N.

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 22
    Jul 28, 2020
    thank you so much for the insight
    do you have any advice on how to prep for them?
    Not in particular! The LPC isn’t a memory test unlike how uni may have been, but I’d advise having your consolidated/ SGS solutions printed off and tabbed per topic. Also I’d recommend asking your tutors to clarify the scope of the mocks too.

Reactions: m90 and Jane Smith

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.