LPC or SQE?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carly, Jun 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Carly

Carly New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi everyone, I’m new on here!

I have been figuring out who to talk to regarding this. I have been googled my way and it lead me to here...

So I graduated my law degree in 2018 and have had two years just working - a paralegal role.

I am now at the decision of whether to go back to uni in September and do the LPC or wait until 2021 and start the SQE.

I am really unsure what route to take as to be honest I don’t really know what the pros and cons are of each. I have friends who have done the LPC however I feel like I need other advice.

Some advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    LPC:
    - Expensive
    - once you have a training contract, you are practically guaranteed qualification
    - bottle neck of opportunity is just getting the job in the first place
    - fixed time commitment - the earliest you could qualify is 24 months after completing the LPC
    - have to stick with one employer throughout your time

SQE:
    - can train at more than one firm
    - cheaper (supposedly)
    - could take a shorter amount of time to qualify, especially if you utilise previous legal work experience
    - lower pass rates of SQE assessments, so no guarantee of qualification

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. amb98

amb98 Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks Jessica, extremely useful!

Would you not say for SQE that there would be a bottleneck on qualification since qualifying is effectively easier than the current route, so we’d expect more to qualify under SQE route?

4. Ratish S

Ratish S Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    @Jessica Booker Are you able to comment on the likelihood of a 2023/4 TC (at a City law firm) operating similar to the current format (i.e. pass SQE 1 and 2, then 2 years of QWE) or more like accountancy (i.e. pass SQE 1, then two years of QWE alongside studying for SQE 2)?

5. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Id expect most firms to have moved to the SQE by that point most non-law graduates will only be able to take that route by then. Some firms might run both systems at the same time for a couple of years, but that isn’t straight forward and many firms want to avoid it where the graduates will have very different rights/training etc.

Firms are all taking different approaches though.

1) start work, pass SQE 1 within probationary period, complete 2 years of QWE, pass SQE2 within the 2 year period

2) pass SQE 1, start work, pass SQE2 within two years

3) Pass SQE 1 and 2, start work and acquire 2 years QWE and then qualify.

I don’t think there will be one model of the above that will be a majority.

#5 Jessica Booker, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  6. meshkat_babiker

meshkat_babiker New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi

I am doing the LPC in September 2020 with ULaw, I think its a better option even though its expensive, simply because there is more certainty. For example, you have access to past-papers and can learn from experiences of past-students.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden Legendary Member
    Future Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    Agree on the certainty point - I didn't fancy being a guinea pig in this transition to be honest

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. IntrepidL

IntrepidL Esteemed Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica,

I was wondering if there is a general preference amongst law firms to select candidates who have not yet completed the LPC? Particularly, if they would prefer their future trainee intake to have completed the LPC together?

10. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    no - that’s not an issue. Their only question/concern will be what you will do with your time out if you could start a TC immediately and you have to wait 2-3 years for a TC with them. For the next couple of cycles, that maybe even more so the case for firms who will move the the SQE format, they could be questioning why you don’t find a firm who is happy to take you on a traditional training contract format.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    The person who wrote the article has written back to me and amended it. It seems the last GDL intakes will be September 2020 or January/February 2021 - however, if you have secured a TC before by August 2021 you may be able to still do the GDL where your training was committed to before the deadline. However, I am not sure how practical this is and that ultimately if you did the GDL in September 2021 it might just be as a "prep course" for the SQE. To me this is bizarre and just muddies the water even more though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    upload_2020-7-20_15-33-21.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Interesting developments yesterday with the SQE...

You will now be able to do the GDL anytime up to 31 December 2021, as long as you accept a place by 31st August 2021 and you start the course on or before the 31st December 2021...

This basically means firms can now put non-law grads going through the recruitment process in the next cycle through the GDL/LPC/TC model after all - which completely changes the dynamic of recruitment for this cycle....

Also costs for sitting the SQE were announced.. SQE 1 is £1,558 and SQE 2 is £2,422. That obviously doesn't account for the costs of any prep courses though...

• Informative Informative x 3