M&A trends

julia l

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 28, 2021
Hi I was wondering if someone could explain the trends in private acquisitions during Covid-19. I have a few in mind, such as tech companies being more valuable and other factors that are trending such as cyber security/ data protections, emplyoment issues, MAC clauses etc...

Am i going along the right lines?

Thank you!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi I was wondering if someone could explain the trends in private acquisitions during Covid-19. I have a few in mind, such as tech companies being more valuable and other factors that are trending such as cyber security/ data protections, emplyoment issues, MAC clauses etc...

Thank you!
Hi @julia l,

Apologies for taking a little while to get to this! I hope that your question is still live. It sounds like you have some sensible thoughts on this already, so I would not panic.

I think your question might be best directed on this thread. @BK has provided some awesome stuff on PE in general on here, so they might be able to provide further insights.

@Rob93 (apologies for tagging you again Rob!) is also knowledgeable about PE (judging from his posts elsewhere). I believe he has some previous industry experience too(?)!

Just taking a look online, here are some interesting looking articles/links:
Looking ahead too:
I hope some of those might prove useful 🙌 🚀

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi @julia l,

Apologies for taking a little while to get to this! I hope that your question is still live. It sounds like you have some sensible thoughts on this already, so I would not panic.

I think your question might be best directed on this thread. @BK has provided some awesome stuff on PE in general on here, so they might be able to provide further insights.

@Rob93 (apologies for tagging you again Rob!) is also knowledgeable about PE (judging from his posts elsewhere). I believe he has some previous industry experience too(?)!

Looking ahead too:
Hey @George Maxwell , do you have some of these links for M&A trends too? These are excellent but obviously, they target the PE industry. Would be grateful if you could point me to a similar compilation like this if it exists already.

Thanks.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hi @julia l,

Looking ahead too:

Thank you!
All of the points mentioned are good ones, I think it's also helpful to think in terms of macro trends which are kind of incidental to covid. Focusing mostly on PE but some of this is relevant to strategic M&A as well.

One is that the amount of available cash in private markets is astronomical, >$1tn globally, might be closer to $2tn now - for the types of investors PE firms draw capital from, private market returns are likely to become even more attractive if public equities continue to become more volatile.

Flipside to this is that rising interest rates will put strain on highly-leveraged PE portfolio companies and eat into returns, cutting in the opposite direction - also higher interest rates mean debt, which is safer than equity, has a relatively more attractive return.

Imho PE acquisition valuations are often unsustainably high right now, and given that the PE business model hinges on flipping companies within 3-7 years at a ~40%-100% profit things could become a little shaky if confidence dips.

With debt getting more expensive, I'd expect strategic M&A by public corporates to become increasingly sensitive to their public equity valuations - if I'm a plc buying a company, paying for it using my own shares as consideration can be very attractive. If my share price is in the doldrums, though, it's much LESS attractive because it's more dilutive to existing shareholders. With high interest rates, taking debt to make acquisitions might become increasingly hard to justify for plcs. If public markets are under strain, the field will be more open for PE buyers.

Also in public markets, lots of corporates are mulling over streamlining their businesses and disposing of underperforming business lines. This will produce abundant opportunities for PE houses and other corporates for whom another man's trash is their treasure.

SPACs, though public in their own right, are an important emerging feature of private M&A - lots of litigation and regulatory attention in the US is damping that market, which really got far too big far too fast, but I'm a firm believer that SPACs are here to stay and serve a valuable role in the ECM and M&A environments. FCA recently softened the listing rules to attract SPACs to London and the UAE is launching the first Arabian Peninsula regulatory framework for SPACs. More SPACs means more competition for an already limited pool of assets, but potentially very attractive exit opportunities for private investors

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.