Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Macfarlanes 2021 Training Contract Assessment Centre (anonymous)

1. In-tray exercise
    The intray was something very hard to prepare for and specific commercial knowledge isn't actually required. The task requires you to read over information (3 different sets) in the preparation time and then go into an interview with a partner/two who you will discuss your findings with. I would recommend that you ensure that you leave enough time to look at all three, because you will be asked about all three pieces of information and follow the questions that they give you for guidance in the preparation time. Be prepared to stick up for yourself and only give into the partner if you really believe their opinion is right because they are there to challenge you and want to test your resilience.

2. Interview
    Very relaxed interview with a partner and was more conversational than an interview. Asked normal questions like 'why macfarlanes', 'why commercial law' and competencies. This is probably the only thing you can really prepare for.

3. Group Exercise
    There was a group of 3 (including myself). I can't remember the specific task however I think we had to come up with a business idea for a client and then come to conclusions on how we would set this up e.g. how we would finance the deal. I don't think they are really testing how technical you are here but instead want to test your general commercial acumen. They give you guidance on what to discuss. Later on in the day we had to present our findings however this was more interactive and the partners/senior associates would ask questions throughout rather than waiting until the end.

4. Written Exercise
    This was very short on time. We had a pack of information to read over (a complaint from a client) and had to write an email responding to the client and offering compensation, as well as a memo to the partner stating what action you think should be taken. It was imperative to leave enough time to write both responses, as well as to properly analyse all the information you are given.

LegalUser

Standard Member
  • Dec 8, 2020
    Macfarlanes 2021 Training Contract Assessment Centre (anonymous)

1. In-tray exercise

The intray was something very hard to prepare for and specific commercial knowledge isn't actually required. The task requires you to read over information (3 different sets) in the preparation time and then go into an interview with a partner/two who you will discuss your findings with. I would recommend that you ensure that you leave enough time to look at all three, because you will be asked about all three pieces of information and follow the questions that they give you for guidance in the preparation time. Be prepared to stick up for yourself and only give into the partner if you really believe their opinion is right because they are there to challenge you and want to test your resilience.

2. Interview
    Very relaxed interview with a partner and was more conversational than an interview. Asked normal questions like 'why macfarlanes', 'why commercial law' and competencies. This is probably the only thing you can really prepare for.

3. Group Exercise
    There was a group of 3 (including myself). I can't remember the specific task however I think we had to come up with a business idea for a client and then come to conclusions on how we would set this up e.g. how we would finance the deal. I don't think they are really testing how technical you are here but instead want to test your general commercial acumen. They give you guidance on what to discuss. Later on in the day we had to present our findings however this was more interactive and the partners/senior associates would ask questions throughout rather than waiting until the end.

4. Written Exercise
    This was very short on time. We had a pack of information to read over (a complaint from a client) and had to write an email responding to the client and offering compensation, as well as a memo to the partner stating what action you think should be taken. It was imperative to leave enough time to write both responses, as well as to properly analyse all the information you are given.
    Thanks so much, @Jaysen - this is incredibly helpful!

Just wanted to follow up if you had advice/could point to resources that might assist in helping us with the format of a client letter and memo to an internal partner.

I'm assuming the former requires full prose and formal language etc. whereas the memo can be significantly shorter. Are there rules and norms here (ie. length, format)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.