Macfarlanes Vac Scheme App

nina_123

Distinguished Member
Jul 15, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am currently working on my Vac Scheme app for Macfarlanes and was wondering if anyone had any advice on: Please explain why you are applying to Macfarlanes and what your career ambitions are. (500)

Thanks so much!!:):)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I am currently working on my Vac Scheme app for Macfarlanes and was wondering if anyone had any advice on: Please explain why you are applying to Macfarlanes and what your career ambitions are. (500)

Thanks so much!!:):)

I'd approach the first part as you would any other 'why this firm?' question. You don't need to devote equal space to both parts of the question, but I would make sure you are explicit about discussing what your career ambitions are. The better answers I've seen are specific and extend wider than just 'wanting to be a partner'. To me that shows you've thought about what you want in your career more broadly.

nina_123

Distinguished Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    I'd approach the first part as you would any other 'why this firm?' question. You don't need to devote equal space to the both parts of the question, but I would make sure you are explicit about discussing what your career ambitions are. The better answers I've seen are specific and extend wider than just 'wanting to be a partner'. To me that shows you've thought about what you want in your career more broadly.

@Jaysen Thanks for your reply!!:):)

In terms of the career ambition part, do I have to be specific about what area I want to qualify into? Or can I talk more about how I want to develop professionally through the firm's training?

Thank you!! :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

In terms of the career ambition part, do I have to be specific about what area I want to qualify into? Or can I talk more about how I want to develop professionally through the firm's training?

Nope, you wouldn’t be expected to know where you wanted to qualify into at this point. The second part sounds good, you might also want to think what you want out of your career more broadly (e.g. to become an expert in your field, to be leading relationships with clients, to be a mentor to juniors etc.).

• 🏆
    Reactions: nina_123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am finding it difficult to distinguish my interest in commercial law as opposed to any other career path. Would be grateful if anyone can share any tips :) thank you

think about it this way:

1) why are you going to like the day job? What are the processes and responsibilities you will have day in day out that will keep you motivated.

2) why will you like the career? Is there going to be enough over 3-5 years to keep you interested

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019

This is great advice! Do you think it's a good idea to take the following approach:

1. My career ambition is to lead relationships with clients
    2. Explain how Macfarlanes suits the above career ambition

I thought this because I wanted to link it back to the firm, but can this be viewed as not answering the question?

Thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.