Mayer Brown trainee simulation

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Hi,

The next stage in the Mayer Brown application process is a trainee job simulation which presents various scenarios that a trainee might come across.

I was just wondering whether anyone had any advice for preparing for these sorts of questions, as I find scenario-based questions quite hard to prepare for.

The simulation is a blend of multiple choice, written and video interview questions.

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
For scenario based questions, I usually have the firm's values in mind when answering the questions. There's not much else you can do to prepare.

Since it's only 45m in total, I imagine the written exercise might be a short summary exercise or drafting an email? Again, not much else to prepare for, except knowing how to be succinct and keeping an eye on the time.

This is all very new, so I don't imagine they would give us particularly challenging questions :)

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi,

The next stage in the Mayer Brown application process is a trainee job simulation which presents various scenarios that a trainee might come across.

I was just wondering whether anyone had any advice for preparing for these sorts of questions, as I find scenario-based questions quite hard to prepare for.

The simulation is a blend of multiple choice, written and video interview questions.
Congratulations on making it to the next stage of the application! 🥳 I'd say that preparing for simulations needs you to research the firm's values and bring them in where appropriate, but also be aware of the situations you may find yourself in as a trainee. These situations often require time management, communication, organisation and teamwork skills so be ready to use examples from your life where you've had to employ these skills to answer the simulation questions. I'd also practice the competency interview questions here to best prepare for the types of questions that may come up. Maybe even try researching trainee job simulations on the internet to find some resources/advice on how you can approach answering them?

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
For scenario based questions, I usually have the firm's values in mind when answering the questions. There's not much else you can do to prepare.

Since it's only 45m in total, I imagine the written exercise might be a short summary exercise or drafting an email? Again, not much else to prepare for, except knowing how to be succinct and keeping an eye on the time.

This is all very new, so I don't imagine they would give us particularly challenging questions :)

Congratulations on making it to the next stage of the application! 🥳 I'd say that preparing for simulations needs you to research the firm's values and bring them in where appropriate, but also be aware of the situations you may find yourself in as a trainee. These situations often require time management, communication, organisation and teamwork skills so be ready to use examples from your life where you've had to employ these skills to answer the simulation questions. I'd also practice the competency interview questions here to best prepare for the types of questions that may come up. Maybe even try researching trainee job simulations on the internet to find some resources/advice on how you can approach answering them?
Thank you both!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021

Hi @ek125712,

Just to add to the fantastic advice given by @LEL and @AvniD, be aware/careful of fixating too much on what you think the firm wants you to hear (according to their values etc.). I personally found that this was distracting. Being distracted in this way could lead to one giving a mixed, even inconsistent picture to GR which could undermine your candidacy.

So in answering these sorts of questions, I think you should strike a balance. Try to be your authentic self whilst also keeping in mind the firm's values. Rather than just answering in the way in which you think an ideal trainee would.

@AvniD would you agree with this?

Let us know how it goes too when you do take the test 🚀

sg1104

Standard Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2020
Hey guys,

I don't know if there's an error on my Mayer Brown application portal, but is there no requirement to submit a cover letter this time for the vacations scheme application? All I see is one question asking me to discuss extra-curricular activities.

NDLA

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 27, 2021
Hey guys,

I don't know if there's an error on my Mayer Brown application portal, but is there no requirement to submit a cover letter this time for the vacations scheme application? All I see is one question asking me to discuss extra-curricular activities.
I am having the same trouble as well when I am trying to complete the spring vacation scheme application. Have you found a solution? thanks!!

sg1104

Standard Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2020
I am having the same trouble as well when I am trying to complete the spring vacation scheme application. Have you found a solution? thanks!!
Hey, there is no cover letter this time around. So just the work experience section + one question asking about your academic achievements + extracurricular interests. Best of luck!

mok

Jan 27, 2022
Hi,

Hi, I am now at this stage of my application. How did you find it? Any tips will be greatly appreciated. :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.