MC/SC/US firms - with my gcses/A levels?

PutItThereMan

Standard Member
Jun 7, 2022
Hello! This is my first post :)

Some advice would be greatly appreciated - just be honest. That's all I'm looking for.

So currently I'm in Year 13 and have a couple of exams left. I was predicted A*A*A - my mental health hasn't been too great this year. I've been so burnt out since January that I barely got around to revision. So I genuinely think I'll come out with ABC.

I was thinking of going into a gap year and resitting at least two A-levels but the thought is honestly so aggravating. I'll be turning 19 soon, I technically have already done a gap year. Switched courses, changed subjects so have already done another year.

I'll be two years behind my cohort and that doesn't bother me per se, I just want to get to university as soon as I can and move on. However, if I get anything less than ABC- I will resit. I'm just wondering if its worth resitting maybe a C and taking a gap year? I really want to get to university.

I have offers from RGs which I know I will miss but hopefully will mosey around in clearing. What is the likelihood of getting vac schemes with ABC with any MC/SC/US Firms? Not very high is it?

My GCSEs are 9977765444. I went to private for secondary, now I'm at a college :) I've heard recruitment may involve factors such as private/state being involved - so putting that out there.

My confidence has really shot down since January, I've just being going through stuff personally and grades were the last thing on my mind, but tbh, I only really have myself to blame gah!

Thanks for reading if you have :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It’s great to have you join us!

Some SC/MC firms have no A-level requirements, and so I don’t think this is necessarily an issue, especially if you have mitigating circumstances.

My advice would be to try to focus on your own health at this stage, rather than what might happen in several years time.

You may be looking at these types of firms now, but I have known so many people change their mind either during or after their degree.

Your worry now may not even be something you need to worry about. Yours grades might not be as bad as you expect, you may choose a different career path.

Also focusing on you and your health (and then your studies) will put you in the best position if this is a path you do choose to take too.

PutItThereMan

Standard Member
Jun 7, 2022
Thank you for your reply Jessica!

Which MC/SC doesn't have A-level requirements? I've looked at MC ones, and it seems as if they all do?
It’s great to have you join us!

Some SC/MC firms have no A-level requirements, and so I don’t think this is necessarily an issue, especially if you have mitigating circumstances.

My advice would be to try to focus on your own health at this stage, rather than what might happen in several years time.

You may be looking at these types of firms now, but I have known so many people change their mind either during or after their degree.

Your worry now may not even be something you need to worry about. Yours grades might not be as bad as you expect, you may choose a different career path.

Also focusing on you and your health (and then your studies) will put you in the best position if this is a path you do choose to take too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Reactions: PutItThereMan

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.