Mentioning the names of previous firms in your answers?

GGLove

Jun 20, 2018
Hey everyone,

I'm back with yet another question!

My first round of vac schemes didn't result in me getting a TC offer that I wanted, so I'm reapplying for 2019.

However, I'd like to flag up my previous work experience at certain firms in order to show a motivation for wanting to work at a certain type of firm, or at a firm that excels in certain practice areas.

My question is whether, in an application form, is it okay to mention the names of the firm(s) you previously vac schemed at.

For example, should you have an interest in a financing practice, is it okay to say "During my work experience at <firm X>, I developed an interest in financing, for reasons Y and Z"? Or "While at <firm X>, I really appreciated the working environment/culture/etc. that is commonly found in firms of that type."

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hey everyone,

I'm back with yet another question!

My first round of vac schemes didn't result in me getting a TC offer that I wanted, so I'm reapplying for 2019.

However, I'd like to flag up my previous work experience at certain firms in order to show a motivation for wanting to work at a certain type of firm, or at a firm that excels in certain practice areas.

My question is whether, in an application form, is it okay to mention the names of the firm(s) you previously vac schemed at.

For example, should you have an interest in a financing practice, is it okay to say "During my work experience at <firm X>, I developed an interest in financing, for reasons Y and Z"? Or "While at <firm X>, I really appreciated the working environment/culture/etc. that is commonly found in firms of that type."

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Hey!

That is absolutely fine, but, don’t list out different firm names in your answers, only those which are relevant.

From an application perspective, I would also elaborate more on what work you did at X firm which developed your interest in financing.

Reactions: GGLove

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey!

That is absolutely fine, but, don’t list out different firm names in your answers, only those which are relevant.

From an application perspective, I would also elaborate more on what work you did at X firm which developed your interest in financing.

Agreed. Definitely worth highlighting your vac schemes -- it makes you a more competitive candidate.

Reactions: GGLove

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.