Mishcon De Reya

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi all,

I am currenyly applying to Mishcon de Reya and try to answer to this question: "Please could you discuss a legal case the recently caught your attention. Why did this interest you and what were the implications?"

Do you think I need to talk about a case that the firm worked on?

Thank you in advance.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

I am currenyly applying to Mishcon de Reya and try to answer to this question: "Please could you discuss a legal case the recently caught your attention. Why did this interest you and what were the implications?"

Do you think I need to talk about a case that the firm worked on?

Thank you in advance.

Nope - any legal case that interests you.

getthatbread2021

Jan 24, 2020
    Hello! I got to the firm's final interview last year but ultimately didn't get the VS offer, so I'm obviously hoping to get the same (and better) results this year. The answers are the same as last year, and whilst I don't want to copy and paste last year's answers, I can't help but feel that my application was really good last year, and I don't want to change too much. Any advice from someone who's been in the same boat? Should I change examples for my answers but use the same general points? Or should I just change everything?

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Hello! I got to the firm's final interview last year but ultimately didn't get the VS offer, so I'm obviously hoping to get the same (and better) results this year. The answers are the same as last year, and whilst I don't want to copy and paste last year's answers, I can't help but feel that my application was really good last year, and I don't want to change too much. Any advice from someone who's been in the same boat? Should I change examples for my answers but use the same general points? Or should I just change everything?
    I haven't been in the same position as you, but I have seen this question come up a few times on other forums and I think the general consensus is to update your application in line with any developments in your examples over the year. So you don't need to re draft a completely new answer.

Hope this makes sense and is of some use

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

not changing anything in a year demonstrates a lack of growth or development. It’s a huge risk - if you weren’t successful last year and your application looks pretty much the same, how would a recruiter think you had changed/developed to be a stronger candidate this time around?

Reactions: S87

Flora2580

Aug 8, 2020
    Hello! I was just wondering if I could shorten Mischon de Reya to MDR (or MdR) on my application form to save words? Is that a commonly accepted thing to do for firms with longer names?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My general advice is shorten it as it is written in the Chambers Student Guide. The firm approves the profiles for thier firm and therefore are probably the most risk adverse way of shortening the name. For Mischon de Reya, this seems to just be shortening it to Mischon.

Or you can always just refer to them as the "firm" instead.

Reactions: Flora2580 and S87

M&A

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 5, 2019
    I passed the written application stage last cycle. I wrote Mishcon de Reya ("MdR") in my first sentence and then proceeded with MdR subsequently. As Jessica suggests you can also refer to "the firm", which I also used. But shortening it after an appropriate intro seems to be fine.

Hello! I was just wondering if I could shorten Mischon de Reya to MDR (or MdR) on my application form to save words? Is that a commonly accepted thing to do for firms with longer names?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019

Also having reached interview last cycle, I agree that MdR is fine. They refer to themselves as MDR on their website as they have programmes like MDR tech and MDR Lab, so I figured they must not mind being referred to as this. Just be consistent throughout your app if you decide to do this.

Reactions: Flora2580 and S87

TiredPG

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 6, 2021
    They don't care how you refer to them, just for future reference.

I applied end of December and got a VI invite Monday past - it was a lot quicker than I expected.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.