Misspelled the surname of an employee for an application- is this an automatic rejection?

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hello,

I've just sent off an application and as the title suggests, I made an embarrassing error. For one of the application questions in the second sentence, I misspelled the surname of an employee I referred to. Do you think this will be detrimental to my application?

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hello,

I've just sent off an application and as the title suggests, I made an embarrassing error. For one of the application questions in the second sentence, I misspelled the surname of an employee I referred to. Do you think this will be detrimental to my application?
Hi @Crystal86,

Happy New Year!

This is honestly entirely firm dependent. All I can say is that I know that misspelling someone's name in an application (even the Head Recruiter) will not necessarily mean you are not progressed. I know someone who was offered a training contract with a firm who did just that!

There is no way to know for sure either way though. The best you can do is hope🤞, focus on the next one and try not to do it again.

For the future, this thread might be useful for next time in avoiding spelling errors 🕺. I hope that helps :)

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hi @Crystal86,

Happy New Year!

This is honestly entirely firm dependent. All I can say is that I know that misspelling someone's name in an application (even the Head Recruiter) will not necessarily mean you are not progressed. I know someone who was offered a training contract with a firm who did just that!

There is no way to know for sure either way though. The best you can do is hope🤞, focus on the next one and try not to do it again.

For the future, this thread might be useful for next time in avoiding spelling errors 🕺. I hope that helps :)
Thanks @George Maxwell that's reassuring and yes, I will try to avoid that again! Thanks for sending the thread.

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.