Mitigating Circumstances and interview

MayI

Dec 3, 2022
Hello all, I recently got invited to an interview at an MC firm for their summer vacation scheme, however, I have a very strong blip in academic attainment at GCSE. I've heard a story of someone being invited to interview and being grilled pretty intensely about something similar. During the interview, am I likely to be asked about my mitigating circumstances, even though I explained them on my application form, and/or the grades which were impacted by them?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello all, I recently got invited to an interview at an MC firm for their summer vacation scheme, however, I have a very strong blip in academic attainment at GCSE. I've heard a story of someone being invited to interview and being grilled pretty intensely about something similar. During the interview, am I likely to be asked about my mitigating circumstances, even though I explained them on my application form, and/or the grades which were impacted by them?
It is a possibility. However if mitigating circumstances are mentioned on the form, then these may not be covered, especially if the mitigating circumstances cover a particularly sensitive issue.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I would definitely be prepared to be asked about your mitigating circumstances and how they impacted you, but I feel being 'grilled' about them may be inappropriate for law firms to do, especially if your circumstances are sensitive in nature. Having mitigating circumstances doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, so be honest and transparent and explain why these circumstances impacted you and your grades clearly and how you've been able to recover from them, if at all applicable.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So do firms care about them?
I have no mitigating for GCSE. I just didn't care at school.
Most don't, especially if your subsequent academics are strong - if you have good A-levels and degree results its very easy to look past GCSEs.

However, some firms may want to see at least a minimum of a C equivalent (now a 4 or 5 grade) in Maths and English.

ScoUting

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jul 20, 2021
    @Jessica Booker Hi I know this is an old thread but if you have sensitive mitigating circumstances you didn't feel comfortable mentioning in an application form (e.g. a family illness or situation) and they ask at an interview, should you mention them. Aware we shouldn't really be going into anything too personal in an interview but don't want to lie.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi I know this is an old thread but if you have sensitive mitigating circumstances you didn't feel comfortable mentioning in an application form (e.g. a family illness or situation) and they ask at an interview, should you mention them. Aware we shouldn't really be going into anything too personal in an interview but don't want to lie.
    If you haven't disclosed them on an application form, it is highly unlikely they will come up in conversation in the interview.

If the interviewer asks something that was impacted by your mitigating circumstances (e.g. why your grades were lower/why you haven't got as much extra curriculars/work experience etc) then it is up to you how much you want to disclose. You can just say "I had some personal circumstances that impacted X" or "A family member was ill during that time" or specifics like "My mother was being treated for cancer". It is really up to you how much you want to disclose.

Reactions: ScoUting

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.