Motivation type questions

Soliha

Distinguished Member
  • Sep 19, 2018
    I noticed that I am more struggling to answer 'why this firm' question than other type of questions. My answer is ending up being generic. Is there any suggestions to approach them?

Reactions: wwood

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I noticed that I am more struggling to answer 'why this firm' question than other type of questions. My answer is ending up being generic. Is there any suggestions to approach them?

Which part are you struggling with - differentiating a firm or writing your answer?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Writing the answer - I do the necessary research and differentiate the firm but that difference is too generic and sometimes I cannot link that difference to myself.

It is tricky. In terms of finding specific ways to differentiate a firm, @Alice G gave some great suggestions for areas to look out for: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/struggling-to-differentiate-between-firms.1332/. You want your reasons to show that you understand the kind of firm it is and be specific enough that it doesn't just apply to every commercial law firm out there (e.g. buzzwords/cliche phrases like 'cutting-edge deals', 'impressive clients' and 'intellectually-stimulating work'). That said, it doesn't need to be anything groundbreaking and it's fine if there is some overlap with other firms; it should just be persuasive and clear.

When linking it to yourself, it's great if you can be personal, although not all points will lend themselves to that. You could just be very specific as to why a particular reason makes you want to apply.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Soliha and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    It is tricky. In terms of finding specific ways to differentiate a firm, @Alice G gave some great suggestions for areas to look out for: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/struggling-to-differentiate-between-firms.1332/. You want your reasons to show that you understand the kind of firm it is and be specific enough that it doesn't just apply to every commercial law firm out there (e.g. buzzwords/cliche phrases like 'cutting-edge deals', 'impressive clients' and 'intellectually-stimulating work'). That said, it doesn't need to be anything groundbreaking and it's fine if there is some overlap with other firms; it should just be persuasive and clear.

When linking it to yourself, it's great if you can be personal, although not all points will lend themselves to that. You could just be very specific as to why a particular reason makes you want to apply.

I totally echo this and what I would say is if something is slightly generic or not necessarily ‘groundbreaking’, try to make it so by using analysis and really think about what that might mean for the firm. For example, it is relatively generic to reference HSF as having dual strength in M&A and disputes but you can elevate that by saying how this counter-cyclical work protects the firm well in terms of the market and ensures it’s profitability is not so easily damaged by forces beyond the firm’s control

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Soliha

Soliha

Distinguished Member
  • Sep 19, 2018
    I totally echo this and what I would say is if something is slightly generic or not necessarily ‘groundbreaking’, try to make it so by using analysis and really think about what that might mean for the firm. For example, it is relatively generic to reference HSF as having dual strength in M&A and disputes but you can elevate that by saying how this counter-cyclical work protects the firm well in terms of the market and ensures it’s profitability is not so easily damaged by forces beyond the firm’s control
    Great example! Thank you, Alice

• 🏆
    Reactions: Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.