Motivation

yzyzyz

Standard Member
Oct 1, 2021
Hi all, I don't post very often and honestly this post is quite difficult for me - apologies for the negativities in this post!

I am feeling so demotivated recently and it's really affecting my confidence. This is my second cycle, although there have been huge improvements compared to my first cycle, I still can't help but feel so hopeless in the process of securing a TC. Last year I did not get past the app stage at all, I did not even get test invites (if non-automatic). But this year I made it past a few first-stage screenings and managed to secure two ACs. I know this is very positive and suggests improvements in my applications, but I completed my first AC two weeks ago and don't think it went well. I have not heard back yet but I am fairly certain it's gonna be a PFO. I have my second AC on Friday but am just currently feeling so discouraged and finding it hard to focus on prepping for that AC. I feel like I worked so hard to finally get past the app stage but am now stuck at the AC stage. I know I shouldn't compare but seeing so many people on this forum just absolutely nailing every interview makes me doubt if I am smart enough to do this... A TC just seems so out of reach, I don't really know how to find motivation anymore but at the same time I feel like I have to pull myself back up, as my other AC is in a few days.

I would really appreciate any advice. I know most people with TCs have received a lot of rejections, but I still can't help but feel discouraged. Again I am very sorry for the negativities in this post - I just really needed to rant. Thank you for reading and for any advice!

NatashaS98

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 30, 2022
Hi @yzyzyz

Thank you for sharing this – it take courage to be open about what you’re going through.

What you're feeling is normal and very common too – I have also been there myself and I know how difficult it can be to get rid of that critical voice inside your head.

Take people’s AC and VS posts with a pinch of salt – people are always more willing to share their success stories and are less likely to put their rejections up. The reason why most people share their successes tends to be because these successes have come after many knocks (but these knocks are ones that you don’t see online). Success stories skew the picture of how many people receive rejections - given how competitive the application process is, it is more statistically likely for people to have got a rejection for a particular firm than to have got through to the next stage.

It sounds like you have been working very hard over these last 2 application cycles and as you recognise, you have already made so much progress. Getting 2 ACs is an incredible feat and highlights that you really have what it takes to be a great trainee solicitor. Although I know it can be disheartening when ACs don’t go as well as you would have wished, I found it very helpful personally to record straight after the AC where I felt went wrong, so that I can work towards improving my performance.

I also would say that it’s so important to realise your worth and how good you are. Whilst we can so often focus on the negative, we forget to focus on what make us unique and great. I would not see the application process as not a test of your intelligence either – it is definitely more a combination of time and perseverance. I completely empathise with the feeling that getting a TC can feel far off, but I really want to emphasise that getting a VS and TC is a question of when, not if - just keep going and you will get there.

After these 2 ACs, my advice to you would to take some time off and completely forget about law and applications. Try and do those things that make you happy – see friends, eat some delicious food and then you can come back to applications feeling recharged and in turn, more productive.

I promise you, you’ve got this – wishing you all the best, we are all behind you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erin and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.