Moving law firms post training

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
Hi there,

I am wondering how easy it is to move from a Mid-Tier City law firm to a Silver Circle/Magic Circle/US Firm post-qualification.
I am hoping to receive a TC offer from a Mid-Tier City law firm. I applied due to the quality of the training in my desired department but would be looking to move post qualification due to compensation, the reputation of the firm, career opportunities etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JP

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
I have no up to date experience. I managed to do it but that was a long time ago. It was a move to the first firm who had interviewed and rejected me for a training contract before actually. They they wanted someone in a fairly niche department newly qualified and I had won the university prize in it which might have helped. I was quite surprised to get the job although I was at a reasonable London firm where I trained, but not quite such a good one.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How easy it is depends on a lot of variables.

It will depend on where you qualify into, the demand of lawyers in that area at the time you need to move, the quality of the work you do as a trainee, the networks you build up, even things completely out of your control - all it takes is a partner you have worked with and who you have built up a reputation with to move to the type of firm you are aiming for and it can be easier to move with them.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is 1-3PQE an easier moving point would you say?
I would say that is when many people do move. But I don’t think it’s necessarily easier - it’s just that’s where there is higher levels of movement. How easy it will be will again depend on the specific market you are in at that time.

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
I have no up to date experience. I managed to do it but that was a long time ago. It was a move to the first firm who had interviewed and rejected me for a training contract before actually. They they wanted someone in a fairly niche department newly qualified and I had won the university prize in it which might have helped. I was quite surprised to get the job although I was at a reasonable London firm where I trained, but not quite such a good one.
Thanks for your response Jane - would you be able to state which firm it was you moved from?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
As it was such a long time ago, I will mention it. It was Slaughter and May. I tihnk it also depends on the jobs market at the time as to what people's chances are - there have been quite a few recessions and good times and recessions since I started (including when I graduated when we had the worst unemployment for fifty years in the UK (then, 3 million on a much smaller population ) which is probably why it was so hard for me to get my training contract in the first place.

However whatever the jobs market is is never as easy to move when someone qualifies as after a few years as most of us who are NQ do not really know that much and it takes a few years to be useful and better.

Reactions: jplaw1010

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.