Moving practice area post qualification

N.9

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Hi everyone, hope you're all well.

After many years of trying to attain a training contract, I finally attained (and started) one at a small to mid-size commercial city law firm, which - while I'm please - doesn't do the area of law that is my passion (Competition Law).

Could anyone please provide some insight as to how possible (if at all) it would be for me to move into Competition law post qualification in private practice? I know this is largely to do with experience gained whilst in practice (which is why I'm concerned), but it's not like I don't have experience in Competition law. I worked at the European Commission in DG COMPETITION for a year whilst undertaking a fiercely competitive traineeship, and I understand that some trainees are only able to do 6 months in competition at some law firms, but are still able to qualify into competition law. I'm also considering doing the postgrad diploma at Kings College in Competition Law to show my dedication - but I don't know if this will be enough - or even necessary?

For those who know more about this sort of thing, I would absolutely love your input. Please feel free to PM me if you prefer :)

ps. I know that i might find other areas of law that I like and will want to qualify into, but I'd like to understand more about the above at this moment in time.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, hope you're all well.

After many years of trying to attain a training contract, I finally attained (and started) one at a small to mid-size commercial city law firm, which - while I'm please - doesn't do the area of law that is my passion (Competition Law).

Could anyone please provide some insight as to how possible (if at all) it would be for me to move into Competition law post qualification in private practice? I know this is largely to do with experience gained whilst in practice (which is why I'm concerned), but it's not like I don't have experience in Competition law. I worked at the European Commission in DG COMPETITION for a year whilst undertaking a fiercely competitive traineeship, and I understand that some trainees are only able to do 6 months in competition at some law firms, but are still able to qualify into competition law. I'm also considering doing the postgrad diploma at Kings College in Competition Law to show my dedication - but I don't know if this will be enough - or even necessary?

For those who know more about this sort of thing, I would absolutely love your input. Please feel free to PM me if you prefer :)

ps. I know that i might find other areas of law that I like and will want to qualify into, but I'd like to understand more about the above at this moment in time.
    Experience in practice will always outweigh academics unfortunately.

I think it really depends how much cross over you have in competition work in the firm you are qualifying into. It might also be a compromise of working in another type of organisation (eg going back to the European Commission) before then going back into private practice.

I’ll be frank though - I expect very few people on here to be able to advise you. You really need to talk to competition lawyers to get their views/experiences.

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Experience in practice will always outweigh academics unfortunately.

I think it really depends how much cross over you have in competition work in the firm you are qualifying into. It might also be a compromise of working in another type of organisation (eg going back to the European Commission) before then going back into private practice.

I’ll be frank though - I expect very few people on here to be able to advise you. You really need to talk to competition lawyers to get their views/experiences.
    Thanks, Jessica. I know you're right, I just wanted to see what was out here first before I begin contacting the competition lawyers I know to ask!

To clarify terminology (sorry, I am a bit thick), when you say 'in the firm you are qualifying into', am I correct in thinking you referring to the law firm following the completion of the training contract?

I also understand the issue of the compromise, which is a great point - for example, I would be happy to work at the CMA etc.

Thank you - as always

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks, Jessica. I know you're right, I just wanted to see what was out here first before I begin contacting the competition lawyers I know to ask!

To clarify terminology (sorry, I am a bit thick), when you say 'in the firm you are qualifying into', am I correct in thinking you referring to the law firm following the completion of the training contract?

I also understand the issue of the compromise, which is a great point - for example, I would be happy to work at the CMA etc.

Thank you - as always
    Yes - you will technically qualify with a firm, even if you don’t stay there. That’s what I meant by qualifying into.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.