My experience of the Travers Smith Vacation Scheme *Successful conversion - future trainee*

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi all,

As promised, the following will be a brief breakdown of my experience of the Travers Smith Vacation Scheme after seeing a flurry of offers made in recent days. It will only be a 'whistle-stop tour', so to speak - it's really designed to be a basis from which other questions can flow! I'm unable to go into any details in respect of assessments and particular activities, for obvious reasons. I'll go over a few tips at the end for what I feel contributed to my successful conversion. I hope it's helpful nonetheless!

Background:
    I completed my VS in July 2020, virtually. I was made a Training Contract offer immediately following the scheme without having to complete any further interview - I'm not sure that this is standard practice as we were informed at the beginning of the scheme that offers wouldn't be made without a final exit interview. I would advise proceeding on the basis that you'll need to complete further interviews/ assessment in some form after the VS unless you're informed otherwise.

VS format and structure:
    My VS was split into a number of sessions over five days. These included:
    • Introductions to most key practice areas
    • Introduction to CSR/ Pro Bono activities
    • Virtual Networking activities with trainees, fee earners and grad rec
    • Social activities
    • Open Q&A/ roundtable discussions
    • Written assessments
    • Group assessments
    My experience:
    Each day was quite busy and full-on, which I really enjoyed. There were breaks built into the day for lunch and between sessions - sometimes these would be run through if sessions ran on. There was always a clear structure for what we should be doing etc and there was never any "oh god I don't know what I should be doing" feelings. Grad rec were always on hand through emails and messages on the InsideSherpa (now Forage) platform which was what they used for my scheme. As you'll know if you've got this far, the GR team at Travers are all lovely and are genuinely approachable - you shouldn't worry about reaching out to them with questions etc.

All the sessions were genuinely enjoyable and I felt like I learned something of genuine value from each session. Something that I really liked about the Travers VS was that it really felt like the senior leadership of the firm were really invested in the VS process, which in turn really encouraged me to 'buy in' to the VS process and push myself to perform to my best standard too. Almost every practice area discussion was partner-led, there were a large number of partners who attended networking events and who really made a genuine effort to get to know us, and we enjoyed a roundtable with the Managing Partner of the firm, too. Another element of the VS I really enjoyed was that we were encouraged to have a genuine, frank discourse with trainees and ask the questions that we genuinely wanted answers to. This added to thee overall authenticity of the experience and also mitigated the impact of losing some of the in-person elements of the VS that you'd normally have in the office.

Each candidate was also given a Trainee Buddy for the week, with whom we had scheduled 1:1's two or three times during the week and to whom we could also have more personal conversations than what you'd necessarily have in a bigger group. My Buddy, who I've kept in touch with, was really lovely and went to a genuine effort to get to know me etc. From chatting to my cohort, this was generally shared across the board. In my view, it is representative of Travers' culture from top to bottom - everyone I've come across through my application process, to VS, to TC and in various other interactions has been genuinely kind, helpful and exceptionally involved in any discussion irrespective of seniority. This is one of the major points that attracted me to Travers in the first instance.

My advice for conversion:
    There's no single 'magic formula' for conversion, so it's impossible to give one. The other point worth reiterating is that I'm not in a position to discuss the exit/ secondary interview for TC as I didn't do one. Generally speaking, I would advise the following as general good practice:
    • Engage: ask questions, be inquisitive, be involved in sessions, be active with your cohort as well as people from the firm. During networking sessions, for example, network! Take full advantage of the array of people you'll speak to in order to build up your picture of the firm as a whole and decide whether it's somewhere that you'd like to train.
    • Be organised: follow the schedule, know where you need to be and when, don't be late for 1:1 sessions (or, if this is unavoidable, send a quick email to whomever you'll be speaking with to advise them that a session is running on and you'll be late for the meeting).
    • Ask good questions: although I've touched on this already, make sure that the questions you're asking are of good quality. For me, this is centred around a few factors:
      • Relevancy: make sure that whatever you ask is suited to the person you're asking (for example, don't ask grad rec about the nuances of fee-earning work, or trainees about issues surrounding partnership etc)
      • Authenticity: don't ask questions whose answers you already know, or that can easily be found on Google, or on the firm's website. Ask genuine, authentic questions to build a genuine, authentic understanding of the firm and the people you're interacting with
      • Planning: plan your questions once you're given the schedule and also during the discussions: going in with questions without taking a minute to plan them first often results in rambling and opacity rather than clear, concise questions
    • Throw yourself in: this one is rather self-explanatory. Commit 100% to whatever you're doing and put your all into it. Vacation Schemes, especially virtual schemes, are tiring, but don't half-ass anything you do as it will come across poorly and vastly diminish your chances of conversion

That's really everything that's worth including in this part of the discussion. I am acutely aware it's only very brief so please do follow up with any and all questions you have in the thread below. As usual, if anything is particularly confidential then my DMs are always open!

Dobinson

Feb 27, 2021
    Hello Jacob! Thank you very much for your detailed discussion of the Travers Smith vac scheme.

I was just wondering how you found your interview for the vac scheme and the type of questions you were asked? My understanding is that some of the questions are very ethical/moral based. Were you asked any competency or situational based questions and were you presented with a case study?

How long did the interview last and approximately how long after the interview did you find out if you'd been successful? Many thanks in advance!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hello Jacob! Thank you very much for your detailed discussion of the Travers Smith vac scheme.

I was just wondering how you found your interview for the vac scheme and the type of questions you were asked? My understanding is that some of the questions are very ethical/moral based. Were you asked any competency or situational based questions and were you presented with a case study?

How long did the interview last and approximately how long after the interview did you find out if you'd been successful? Many thanks in advance!
    Hey,

I'm not able to go into specific details of my interview unfortunately as this could risk distorting the recruitment process.

When I interviewed, there was not a case study. I honestly can't remember how long the interview lasted but I think it was maybe an hour or so. I found out quite quickly afterwards, maybe a week tops?

In terms of any interview advice I can give, it would all be contained in my Interviews article available via this Linktree: https://linktr.ee/JacobMiller1

Hope this helps! Sorry I can't be super specific.

becfa

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    I'm doing the last scheme (July) as I am busy during the first two dates. Will this put me at a major disadvantage as the TC places may fill up by the time my vac scheme comes? I'm slightly worried about this! Do you know if the trainee intake number is definitely 30 or subject to change dependent on the quality of candidates?

AlRJ

Esteemed Member
    Jun 23, 2019
    I'm doing the last scheme (July) as I am busy during the first two dates. Will this put me at a major disadvantage as the TC places may fill up by the time my vac scheme comes? I'm slightly worried about this! Do you know if the trainee intake number is definitely 30 or subject to change dependent on the quality of candidates?
    Hey, I do not think this is the case. I know at least 2 people who did the last scheme in July who were still made offers. I was also told (though cannot take this as gospel), that they don't make any concrete decision on who to offer the TCs too until the schemes have ended so I don't think you gave anything to worry about!

Reactions: becfa

becfa

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    Hey, I do not think this is the case. I know at least 2 people who did the last scheme in July who were still made offers. I was also told (though cannot take this as gospel), that they don't make any concrete decision on who to offer the TCs too until the schemes have ended so I don't think you gave anything to worry about!
    Thank you- that's really good to know!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AlRJ

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.