My Journey to a TC

jackismall

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2022
Hi everyone,

I've been a relatively frequent user of TCLA whilst completing TC and VS applications. I'm lucky enough to have received the TCLA Scholarship which I have already found extremely useful - there is a huge host of resources which has filled me with more confidence and hope that I will be successful.

Just about myself, I am currently working in-house as a paralegal following the completion of my MA Law course last year. As I don't have access to funding, I am looking for a law firm to help me fund my SQE/LPC. For personal reasons, I am also looking around London, so a City firm is the goal!

Whilst I have made some half-hearted applications in the past, this is the first cycle of applications that I am 100% committed to. I have around 6 applications drafted for this year already, I will just make sure to polish these up with some useful TCLA feedback and techniques.

Looking forward to learning and (hopefully) becoming an application expert!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I've been a relatively frequent user of TCLA whilst completing TC and VS applications. I'm lucky enough to have received the TCLA Scholarship which I have already found extremely useful - there is a huge host of resources which has filled me with more confidence and hope that I will be successful.

Just about myself, I am currently working in-house as a paralegal following the completion of my MA Law course last year. As I don't have access to funding, I am looking for a law firm to help me fund my SQE/LPC. For personal reasons, I am also looking around London, so a City firm is the goal!

Whilst I have made some half-hearted applications in the past, this is the first cycle of applications that I am 100% committed to. I have around 6 applications drafted for this year already, I will just make sure to polish these up with some useful TCLA feedback and techniques.

Hi Jack,

Congratulations on securing the scholarship and a big welcome to the forum. Looks like you are well on track if you have six applications already drafted.

Please do feel free to update this thread to keep us involved in your journey and ask any questions as needed.

Wishing you the best of luck this year.

Reactions: jackismall

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone,

Congratulations @jackismall! Very well done on securing a TCLA scholarship- I really hope this helps you achieve your goal of landing a TC with a City firm in London! Looking forward to seeing more of your posts on the forum!

jackismall

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 19, 2022
    Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well.

I got through to the next stage! Just yesterday I completed my AC interview for Ashurst's Winter Vacation Scheme. I think it went well, but I'll have to wait and see what the result is. Either way, it's really useful practice and I'm extremely grateful for the experience.

I've also received an application review from TCLA, so I'm looking forward to making some changes and improving my answers before sending them off.

My goal for the next two weeks is to
    - Send off 6 applications
    - Complete the TCLA Commercial Awareness Course
    - Complete the TLCA Law Firms as a Business Course

Looking forward to hopefully providing more positive updates in the coming weeks.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well.

I got through to the next stage! Just yesterday I completed my AC interview for Ashurst's Winter Vacation Scheme. I think it went well, but I'll have to wait and see what the result is. Either way, it's really useful practice and I'm extremely grateful for the experience.

I've also received an application review from TCLA, so I'm looking forward to making some changes and improving my answers before sending them off.

My goal for the next two weeks is to
    - Send off 6 applications
    - Complete the TCLA Commercial Awareness Course
    - Complete the TLCA Law Firms as a Business Course

Looking forward to hopefully providing more positive updates in the coming weeks.
    Excellent news on Ashurst @jackismall. Fingers crossed you secure the scheme.

jackismall

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 19, 2022
    It's been a while!

Happy to share that I've received two AC invitations which I will be attending this month. It's been a good start to 2023 so far for me, so I want to give these ACs everything I have to keep that ball rolling.

I've been feeling nervous about the interview aspect of the day. After receiving a rejection from Ashurst, my feedback was all on the interview stage. As I'm continuing to prepare, these nerves are decreasing, but it's something that I've noticed for sure.

Aside from that, I'm also waiting on responses for a number of applications, and after these upcoming ACs, I'll be looking to continue applying for direct TCs.

It cannot be understated how useful the TCLA resources have been. From the law firm profiles and the premium databases, to the mock ACs and the interview guides, the content on this forum has been so useful. Massive thanks to everyone who continues to provide help on TCLA - feeling very lucky to have received the scholarship!

• 🏆
    Reactions: HLL and BeGrateful.101

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    It's been a while!

Happy to share that I've received two AC invitations which I will be attending this month. It's been a good start to 2023 so far for me, so I want to give these ACs everything I have to keep that ball rolling.

I've been feeling nervous about the interview aspect of the day. After receiving a rejection from Ashurst, my feedback was all on the interview stage. As I'm continuing to prepare, these nerves are decreasing, but it's something that I've noticed for sure.

Aside from that, I'm also waiting on responses for a number of applications, and after these upcoming ACs, I'll be looking to continue applying for direct TCs.

It cannot be understated how useful the TCLA resources have been. From the law firm profiles and the premium databases, to the mock ACs and the interview guides, the content on this forum has been so useful. Massive thanks to everyone who continues to provide help on TCLA - feeling very lucky to have received the scholarship!
    Congratulations on your AC invites! 👏 This is a wonderful start to 2023!

How are you preparing for your interview? What's your thought process like?

jackismall

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 19, 2022
    Congratulations on your AC invites! 👏 This is a wonderful start to 2023!

How are you preparing for your interview? What's your thought process like?
    Mostly preparing just by writing out and practicing examples for the main questions that I think will come up, as well as a bunch of situations I can use for competency questions.

At the moment, I'm thinking that as long as I can prepare as well as I know I can, I should be in for a good shot, and I won't be upset with myself for not getting it. However, I would be lying if I said I'm not putting a degree of expectation on myself for these two! As much as I know I should treat this all as part of the learning process and use any rejections to improve, I can't help it.

I've already far exceeded my expectations for this application cycle (I was hoping for just one AC), but it feels like I've got too good an opportunity to pass up on!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Mostly preparing just by writing out and practicing examples for the main questions that I think will come up, as well as a bunch of situations I can use for competency questions.

At the moment, I'm thinking that as long as I can prepare as well as I know I can, I should be in for a good shot, and I won't be upset with myself for not getting it. However, I would be lying if I said I'm not putting a degree of expectation on myself for these two! As much as I know I should treat this all as part of the learning process and use any rejections to improve, I can't help it.

I've already far exceeded my expectations for this application cycle (I was hoping for just one AC), but it feels like I've got too good an opportunity to pass up on!
    I'd suggest using this resource here with example questions - it will save you a great amount of time that you would have spent in finding/coming up with questions!

Secondly, I would practice answers to these questions with someone - this could be anyone you trust, including friends, family, uni careers counsellors or by booking a mock interview with TCLA. Practicing with someone makes a world of a difference to your answers as you know how they're being perceived and whether they're come off as convincingly as you'd like. This will also allow you to fine-tune your answers and delivery as well.

Lastly, I'd ensure that you have very well developed answers to 'why law', 'why you' and 'why this firm' with strong examples to back up your motivations. Many questions are essentially offshoots of these three questions so if you have them covered as your foundation, then you will have a good shot and answering the offshoots as well.

jackismall

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 19, 2022
    I'd suggest using this resource here with example questions - it will save you a great amount of time that you would have spent in finding/coming up with questions!

Secondly, I would practice answers to these questions with someone - this could be anyone you trust, including friends, family, uni careers counsellors or by booking a mock interview with TCLA. Practicing with someone makes a world of a difference to your answers as you know how they're being perceived and whether they're come off as convincingly as you'd like. This will also allow you to fine-tune your answers and delivery as well.

Lastly, I'd ensure that you have very well developed answers to 'why law', 'why you' and 'why this firm' with strong examples to back up your motivations. Many questions are essentially offshoots of these three questions so if you have them covered as your foundation, then you will have a good shot and answering the offshoots as well.
    Definitely. Thank you for the advice.

Have a mock interview booked for this weekend so I'm sure that will iron out any major issues!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

jackismall

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 19, 2022
    Pleased to say I have a positive update - was told yesterday that I got the VS!

I can wholeheartedly say that if it were not for the TCLA scholarship I don't think I would have gotten this scheme. The mock interview I had with Chloe was so useful in calming my nerves and giving me clear aspects to work on. So huge thank you to everyone at TCLA who has helped to deliver this.

Just having a little break this week before another upcoming interview, then it's time to keep the ball rolling!

• 🏆
    Reactions: gktcc_ek and HLL

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.