My Journey to a TC

fiza_aleem

Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 29, 2021
Hi all,

I have fortunately been selected to benefit from the CLA scholarship and as a recipient, I am super looking forward to using all the resources! By way of intro, I am currently in my final year at the University of Sheffield studying Law!

I did apply for Vac Schemes last year however, admittingly, the applications I submitted were of poor quality as I took a scattergun approach. This year, I have been far more selective of the firms I would like to train at (London-based, international offices/ global teams, strong in Digital/ Corporate areas, friendly culture). I have submitted 3 applications thus far and I hope to submit 7 in total! My goal is to secure at least 2 vacation schemes and hopefully progress to a TC for 1 of these!

Looking forward to tracking my progress!

Fiza :)

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi all,

I have fortunately been selected to benefit from the CLA scholarship and as a recipient, I am super looking forward to using all the resources! By way of intro, I am currently in my final year at the University of Sheffield studying Law!

I did apply for Vac Schemes last year however, admittingly, the applications I submitted were of poor quality as I took a scattergun approach. This year, I have been far more selective of the firms I would like to train at (London-based, international offices/ global teams, strong in Digital/ Corporate areas, friendly culture). I have submitted 3 applications thus far and I hope to submit 7 in total! My goal is to secure at least 2 vacation schemes and hopefully progress to a TC for 1 of these!

Hi @FizaAa! Congratulations on securing a TCLA scholarship 👏👏👏 It's great to see that you're so focused about what you want and I really hope we're able to play a part in your journey to secure your dream TC!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

Well done on being selected Fiza and it's good to see you are reflecting on how things went last year. I'm curious to know why seven is the goal this year - is this because of time constraints or because those are the only firms you are interested in?

Reactions: fiza_aleem

fiza_aleem

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 29, 2021
    Well done on being selected Fiza and it's good to see you are reflecting on how things went last year. I'm curious to know why seven is the goal this year - is this because of time constraints or because those are the only firms you are interested in?
    Thank you Jaysen! I decided to focus on 7 applications as I wanted to send applications of the highest quality and focusing on less firms would allow to me to do this. So far, this has worked for me as I have had the time to find out more information about each firm, speak to trainees and improve my application answers.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Providing a quick update for W/C: 24/10/2022:

Updates with applications:
    • Unfortunately, I received a rejection for HSF's winter VC however, I am determined to continue progressing!

This week I have:

1. Submitted my Hogen Lovells's VC application bringing my total submissions to 4
    2. Drafted 2 answers for Eversheds VC
    3. Practiced the Watson Glaser test

Next week I will:

1. Complete the remaining 2 questions for Eversheds
    2. Continue practicing the Watson Glaser test
    3. Bullet point my initial ideas to Addleshaw Goddard's VC questions
    Hi @FizaAa,

I appreciate the honesty. With these updates, it's often easy to focus on what is going well, but I think they are the most useful when discussing the realities of the training contract process - including the rejections along the way. (I was also rejected for the HSF winter VS back in the day.)

Well done on Hogan Lovells and good luck for Eversheds this week.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.