My TC Journey 2022-23

laubedusixjuin

Esteemed Member
Oct 14, 2022
Hello everyone,

I am currently a final-year non-law student at UCL hoping to get a training contract this year. Most of the firms I am applying to are US firms or firms with opportunities for (multiple) seats in disputes, although I am throwing in some others too.

I have already started my applications, and have submitted 4, two for winter vacation schemes and two for spring/summer schemes. I managed to get to the first stage interview for one of these firms but got a PFO soon after, although I think there might have been a bit of unconscious self-sabotage in that one as I found something out about the firm after applying that made me really not want to work there!

I am hoping to submit at least 3 more applications that I have started working on already by the end of next week - Akin Gump, Debevoise & Plimpton and Willkie Farr & Gallagher. Some of these have really long applications so that's a rough goal but I've got a lot of university work coming up so it would be good to get these out of the way as they are some of my top options!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @laubedusixjuin - it sounds like you have yourself some good goals, and I like that you are putting some flex in there depending how your other commitments go. Please do not hesitate to ask questions in the forums to help you with this journey to reaching your goals - I am sure the TCLA and wider TCLA community will be able to help you with any queries you may have.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    First update - actually managed to finish and send off my Akin Gump application today. 2 to go this week, and then starting working on Sidley Austin!
    Well done @laubedusixjuin. You are very on the ball with these applications. I look forward to seeing how you progress this year!

laubedusixjuin

Esteemed Member
    Oct 14, 2022
    First end of the week update: I want to thank @Jaysen , @Jessica Booker and @Orla for the words of encouragement this week! :)

I managed to reach my goal of sending off 3 applications this week, although not the ones I was planning to finish. I sent off my applications to Willkie and Sidley Austin today as well as Akin Gump on Monday. I have now submitted 7 applications so I think I'm in a better position writing them now and it's not taking as long as it did the first few times. I think getting past the written application stage for one of the first applications I made improved my confidence in the writing and answers I gave.

I have moved Debevoise & Plimpton to my next set of priorities, alongside Cooley and Dechert. Debevoise's application was just a bit too long for me to have time this week to focus on, and Cooley's is quite long too so I've adjusted my goal to submit at least 2 applications by the end of next week. Hoping to actually hear something back from Covington & Burling and/or Travers Smith next week for the winter vac schemes too!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    First end of the week update: I want to thank @Jaysen , @Jessica Booker and @Orla for the words of encouragement this week! :)

I managed to reach my goal of sending off 3 applications this week, although not the ones I was planning to finish. I sent off my applications to Willkie and Sidley Austin today as well as Akin Gump on Monday. I have now submitted 7 applications so I think I'm in a better position writing them now and it's not taking as long as it did the first few times. I think getting past the written application stage for one of the first applications I made improved my confidence in the writing and answers I gave.

I have moved Debevoise & Plimpton to my next set of priorities, alongside Cooley and Dechert. Debevoise's application was just a bit too long for me to have time this week to focus on, and Cooley's is quite long too so I've adjusted my goal to submit at least 2 applications by the end of next week. Hoping to actually hear something back from Covington & Burling and/or Travers Smith next week for the winter vac schemes too!
    I like your pace @laubedusixjuin - three applications in a week is impressive and puts you well on track. How long do you think an average application is taking you now?

I'm sure @Maria d'Orey, @NatashaS98 and @Jessica Booker can relate regarding Debevoise. It's typically among the longest applications we review as a team.

Reactions: AvniD

laubedusixjuin

Esteemed Member
    Oct 14, 2022
    Second end of week update, although I've got a few hours this evening to work on applications: Did not manage to fully complete and send off either Debevoise or Dechert, despite making some good progress on their answers, as I haven't had much time in this last week before my reading week. Thankfully I have the entire week off next week so I expect to be able to send off both Debevoise and Dechert as well as Cooley before going back to uni the following week. To answer @Jaysen 's question, I'm not really sure how long an application takes me - most of the time I've written down my initial ideas and then go and finish one or two of them at a later point when I have some spare time, as my workload is quite high and I find it easier to focus on one topic at a time.

Got a bit more confirmation that my answers have been good as I heard back from another place I applied, Willkie, with a video interview that I also have to complete next week. Hoping that goes well - have done a VI before but i could record my answers as many times as I wanted, and I know this one gives almost no prep time and only one chance!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Second end of week update, although I've got a few hours this evening to work on applications: Did not manage to fully complete and send off either Debevoise or Dechert, despite making some good progress on their answers, as I haven't had much time in this last week before my reading week. Thankfully I have the entire week off next week so I expect to be able to send off both Debevoise and Dechert as well as Cooley before going back to uni the following week. To answer @Jaysen 's question, I'm not really sure how long an application takes me - most of the time I've written down my initial ideas and then go and finish one or two of them at a later point when I have some spare time, as my workload is quite high and I find it easier to focus on one topic at a time.

Got a bit more confirmation that my answers have been good as I heard back from another place I applied, Willkie, with a video interview that I also have to complete next week. Hoping that goes well - have done a VI before but i could record my answers as many times as I wanted, and I know this one gives almost no prep time and only one chance!
    Glad to hear you have some time off to work on your applications! Best of luck with your video interview this week.

Reactions: laubedusixjuin

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

My VIs were similar to the one you're going to be doing with Wilkie and on the whole, I almost preferred not being able to re-record because even though this increased the pressure to ensure that my answer was strong, it also ensured that I made the best use of the opportunity I had without using the ability to re-record as a crutch to get through the nervousness of doing a VI. My best tips for VIs are all contained in this post and I hope they help you understand how you can make the best of that one shot you get to record your answer!

laubedusixjuin

Esteemed Member
    Oct 14, 2022
    My VIs were similar to the one you're going to be doing with Wilkie and on the whole, I almost preferred not being able to re-record because even though this increased the pressure to ensure that my answer was strong, it also ensured that I made the best use of the opportunity I had without using the ability to re-record as a crutch to get through the nervousness of doing a VI. My best tips for VIs are all contained in this post and I hope they help you understand how you can make the best of that one shot you get to record your answer!
    Thank you very much! Yes, I definitely prefer not being able to re-record when it comes down to it - I spent way too long on the one where I could, quite glad that this one will be over within 6 minutes..!

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD

laubedusixjuin

Esteemed Member
    Oct 14, 2022
    Third end of week update: I managed to complete both Debevoise and Dechert's online applications and have submitted them. I also did Willkie's VI this week, and I think I might hear back about that in the coming week, as they seem to be very fast. Willkie is also one of my top choices (great for white collar), so I'm hoping it's good news, but not a fan of VIs at all and have no idea how I come across in them tbh - something about being on camera doesn't work for me!

Going forward, I have quite a few university deadlines next week, so will be prioritising those, but otherwise, will be working on Cooley and Slaughter and May applications as my next priorities, along with HSF. I don't have a specific plan for any of those/the order I complete them in, but hoping to finish and submit one of those by the end of next week.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Third end of week update: I managed to complete both Debevoise and Dechert's online applications and have submitted them. I also did Willkie's VI this week, and I think I might hear back about that in the coming week, as they seem to be very fast. Willkie is also one of my top choices (great for white collar), so I'm hoping it's good news, but not a fan of VIs at all and have no idea how I come across in them tbh - something about being on camera doesn't work for me!

Going forward, I have quite a few university deadlines next week, so will be prioritising those, but otherwise, will be working on Cooley and Slaughter and May applications as my next priorities, along with HSF. I don't have a specific plan for any of those/the order I complete them in, but hoping to finish and submit one of those by the end of next week.

Fingers crossed on Willkie :). My view with video interviews is to practise and record yourself under strict time limits as many times as you can. You want it to be uncomfortable when you practise because the real thing will be too.

Keep watching yourself and try to iterate as you go - over time, you should find yourself better able to clearly communicate your answers and convey more of 'yourself'.

laubedusixjuin

Esteemed Member
    Oct 14, 2022
    Well! Haven't posted an update here in a very long time! In November I managed to get a flurry of PFOs, then the flu, and then bronchitis, so I think after that I didn't post anything on the forum at all for around a month! My vacation scheme application cycle has pretty much come to an end, so I thought I'd summarise my progress. This has been my first application cycle, and I'm a final-year non-law student with no legal work experience or even attendance at any insight days/schemes/events. I've been rejected at pretty much every stage possible, and will undoubtedly be sending off a few more direct TC applications before this cycle is over.

1. Covington & Burling - PFO post application
    2. Travers Smith - PFO post application
    3. Dechert - PFO post application
    4. Debevoise & Plimpton - PFO post application

5. Simmons & Simmons - PFO post failing tests
    6. Herbert Smith Freehills - PFO post passing tests

7. Willkie - PFO post VI
    8. Skadden - PFO post TI
    9. Akin Gump - PFO post TI

10. Gibson Dunn - PFO post first stage interview
    11. Sidley Austin - PFO post partner interview

12. Cleary Gottlieb - VS offer

13. White & Case - no response
    14. Freshfields Direct TC - PFO post WG

Cryingtiger

Valued Member
    Dec 11, 2020
    Well! Haven't posted an update here in a very long time! In November I managed to get a flurry of PFOs, then the flu, and then bronchitis, so I think after that I didn't post anything on the forum at all for around a month! My vacation scheme application cycle has pretty much come to an end, so I thought I'd summarise my progress. This has been my first application cycle, and I'm a final-year non-law student with no legal work experience or even attendance at any insight days/schemes/events. I've been rejected at pretty much every stage possible, and will undoubtedly be sending off a few more direct TC applications before this cycle is over.

1. Covington & Burling - PFO post application
    2. Travers Smith - PFO post application
    3. Dechert - PFO post application
    4. Debevoise & Plimpton - PFO post application

5. Simmons & Simmons - PFO post failing tests
    6. Herbert Smith Freehills - PFO post passing tests

7. Willkie - PFO post VI
    8. Skadden - PFO post TI
    9. Akin Gump - PFO post TI

10. Gibson Dunn - PFO post first stage interview
    11. Sidley Austin - PFO post partner interview

12. Cleary Gottlieb - VS offer

13. White & Case - no response
    14. Freshfields Direct TC - PFO post WG
    Love that success!! Considering it’s your first cycle too! Hope you smash that Cleary offer, we are all rooting for you!! 🤩

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Congrats on a successful first cycle. You made it past the application stage for so many impressive firms so it is only a matter of time before you do more ACs etc.

Hope you smash that Cleary VS!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.